bidded, wait why?

scott finnie

EBAY LINK

Bidded on this cox o49 and pod , hopefully will get it, comes complete with fuel tank too! not had a cox engine for over 10 years, dont even have a model for it , was thinking of building a mini epo delta or simple square fuselage 2 channel aircraft, any suggestions on something simple and cheap?

ps someone from here messaged me about what airfoil i preffer, i preffer the airfoil i get off my merrel walking shoes cheeky works every time

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 16/11/2012 01:12:16

Advert

Scott, the "ebay" link you posted appears to be a link to your Hotmail email account! (Don't worry though, it doesn't actually log us in to your acct!)

If you actually mean this then don't get too carried away about winning just yet. I assume you're the newbie (zero feedback) bidder who bid at 0:33. There's nearly two days to go until the auction ends and most of the bidding usually goes on in the final minute or so for many items - especially those where the auction closes at a nice sociable hour of the day!

Having said that, searching through sold items for similar engines, £10 to £15 seems to be about the going rate so you're in with a chance - just don't be too surprised of somebody outbids you in the closing 10 seconds. (And no, it won't be me!)

Thanks John , yeah i was mortified when you said it goes to my account, not sure if its the mix of i'm still learning on this site and the red wine cool, thanks for you're advice, i normally stick to buying from my local hobby store but since they cant get me what i really want ive been pushed onto ebay, this 049 and pod is what i really need though, i'll be up at that unsociable hour to get it hopefully

Hi Scott,

I've had some great buys on Ebay over the last few years, however after using the site for a while I have made some rules for myself that I normally follow, red wine moments apart!. Decide what the item is worth to you and make that bid within 15/20 secs of the end time not before. treat used items like engines, servos, receivers etc, with great caution and only bid if the seller has very solid feedback.

Good luck with your bid.

Lohn

Yep, I would echo John S's advice - if you can, bid in the last 10 seconds or so. If you bid earlier and have beaten the other bidders there's always a chance one (or more!) of them will increase their bid by a pound or two. People tend to get a bit carried away in the excitement of the "chase" and often bid a bit more than they perhaps intended when they're outbid. So bid late and they don't then have time to react!

I would go along with the opinions of the two Johns. I sometimes see things go on eBay for sums approaching the new price, and I ask myself is the saving worth the loss of the warranty etc. Also some people can be a little disingenuous in their description of an item. I am always wary of poor photographs of an item. Is the person a poor photographer, or just trying to hide something.

Hi all, having major difficulty as i cant access my ebay account, having to setup another now, thanks for all the great advice, ive seen that theres one sitting in the auction with a red fuel tank, it finishes around 930 but theres no description to if it runs or what condition its in, does it turn over ect, what do you all think **LINK**

Hi John , the internet went down literally 3 minutes before, i had £8 sitting ready to go on the button, so im feeling a tad low atm, very very irritating, will be watching this pod auction now but will be looking at buying a brand new motor at dens model supplies i'm thinking, really had my heart set on it aswell

Scott, what you don't know is how much t***i had actually bid! Your £8 bid, if you'd been able to place it, may very well have simply ensured that t***i had to pay £8.50 for the engine rather than winning it for you.

As for the one from the states, the seller looks genuine - with very good feedback scores, he's only got 2 negs in the past year, one of which is from somebody who has only left feedback for others on 8 occasions, FIVE of which were negatives. "Go figure" as they say over there! Postage looks remarkably inexpensive for something from over there, though I wouldn't expect it to arrive particularly quickly. I thought these little Coxs revved at a bit more than 14k, but it's a long time since I played with one! You shouldn't have to pay any duty or VAT as long as it stays below the magic figure - I think it's still £18. Above that and stuff from the US seems to attract customs' attention much more than stuff from the Far East.

Posted by John Privett on 16/11/2012 23:49:27:

Scott, what you don't know is how much t***i had actually bid! Your £8 bid, if you'd been able to place it, may very well have simply ensured that t***i had to pay £8.50 for the engine rather than winning it for you.

As for the one from the states, the seller looks genuine - with very good feedback scores, he's only got 2 negs in the past year, one of which is from somebody who has only left feedback for others on 8 occasions, FIVE of which were negatives. "Go figure" as they say over there! Postage looks remarkably inexpensive for something from over there, though I wouldn't expect it to arrive particularly quickly. I thought these little Coxs revved at a bit more than 14k, but it's a long time since I played with one! You shouldn't have to pay any duty or VAT as long as it stays below the magic figure - I think it's still £18. Above that and stuff from the US seems to attract customs' attention much more than stuff from the Far East.

Thanks John, greatly appreciated, ive just ordered off of dens this **LINK**

also in the process of ordering the multiplex fun cub, i have a spare power 25 sitting here and a 9x7 prop so would be hoping it'd be a very special fun cub! I'm still on ebay though, bidded on this too **LINK** as it looks an interesting read,

ps , the help and advice i have had from you all has been second to none, i have forced myself to not be to sociable for years , now i'm glued on here 24/7 haha, im sure the fiancee enjoys it though devil

Regards,

Scott

I have been using ebay for years and have had very few problems. The British users are usually ok.

Foreign buyers can be difficult. Posting things registered, traced or signed for sometimes doesn't mean anything in other countries.

I would never buy anything of great value without seeing it first and for lesser things, if you are in doubt about anything, item or seller then just do not get involved.

When buying something that I really want, usually something unique, and that I cannot go without, all I do is decide exactly how much I will go to and place a bid at that level then leave it. The bid is made for you by the system.

For example, an item that is unobtainable elsewhere (after research) might be worth, say £10 - 15 normally so I decide that on auction I would pay around £30 for it maximum, so I put an odd figure on such as £31.51p. Then forget about it. Until the end of auction. If someone else wants it more than me, then so-be it. Often, I get it for around half my bid. I never bother to snipe somebody at the last second because they might have installed a programme that does it for them.

I did however early on make a mistake by leaving out the full stop between the pounds and pence, luckily my item cost me £21 not over £2,500.

I prefer sniping for things that I really want. Two reasons. First, I can put in my maximum bid and not be tempted to go higher. Second people will often be sniping them selves and so you make sure that they can't overbid you if they don't meet your bid first time.

I done a lot of buying over the years. Only bought two pups. Latest purchases. A beautiful OS Wankle engine for £27 less than my maximum bid. and a superb SC 32 for the only bid on the engine and that was second time round, £30 although the postage was a little high.

Note that in the run up to Christmas price drop a lot.