Planning the Shed - What do I want in it?

So, the house move is now at the twidle thumbs and wait for solicitors stage, therefore I am deep into planning the shed - or will be as soon as I have measured the garden....

Obviously alongside filling up boxes, apparently it is the shared craft room next, that'll be easy for me!

So to aid the planning what larger scale tools and equipment would anyone recomend? I am quite nifty with most tools found in engineering shops (Lathes, grinders, bench and table saws etc). I already have a Lathe which is going in. I want a pillar drill, and a pillar drill mount for my 'Dremel', and already have a full array of soldering equipment.

What else? I think some form of saw, probably a bandsaw or a scroll saw (actually scroll is more likely due to size!)

And probably a combination belt and disc sander.

I won't be able to buy all of this gear in a single hit, but need to plan the shed around it so that I can fit it in as it is aquired. Oh, also have a compressor already and plan to make a retractable awning on the side of the shed to spray in...

Suggestions anyone?

Edited By Olly P on 25/11/2012 10:12:56

Advert

G'day Ollie, Bandsaws are great but the blades are temperamental,

Scroll saws are great for curves in lighter metals, wood and plastics.

Combination sander belt and disc is on my wishlist along with a table saw for those straight and crosscuts.

Pillar drill , I have a 5 speed that shifting the drive belt shifts the speed.

Compressor get a larger one than the little hobby ones I have a 2.5 horsepower and that does everything i will ever use it for, tyres and all.

And definately, lights lights and did i mention lights.

Goodluck.

Hi Olly,

I usually keep a workshop flexible for the first few weeks. 'till I'm sure exactly where everything should go. I get the worktops really well fixed, especially for the lathe. I fix it both to the wall behind, and the floor. I dedicate the main space to my building board, with my (indispensible) dremel on a stand close by. Tools that I don't use regularly ie soldering, airbrush, glassing etc. are kept in plastic boxes, under the worktops. The main permanent power tools such as jig saw, circular saw, sander, pillar drill are generally spread around. I'm afraid an electrician would have a fit about my electrics. I daisy chain multipoints. This is flexible, & gives me plenty of points. And it's never given me problems in umpteen years. All these tools have taken many years to aquire, but, I'd certainly start with a dremel on a stand

ernie

Oh yes and lights

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 25/11/2012 11:17:59

Lights is covered - I work for an LED lighting manufacturer.....

Size will be limited by 2 factors, planning regs and SWMBO.

I expect the shed will end up about 10ft sq. I am building from theground up and therefore can put electrics in where I want them and plan to have a stand alone isolation box so I can isolate any circuit.

The main bench will be on the west wall, the east wall will be angled to follow the line of the garden, and the north wall will have the door....

Sounds good Olly

Don't forget about current wiring regulations (Part P etc) if you are connecting mains power to the shed. You must have a local distribution box with breakers of suitable size for lights and sockets, and proper armoured cable in the ground. Probably best to get a sparky to install and test it all.

While you have a trench open for the mains cable you could use plastic duct and put telephone or LAN cable in it as well.

yes, insulaion is a must - probably 50mm of foam type insulation, on every wall, the floor and roof! I am hapy with the actual construction side of it, but any tools need to be planned in in terms of floor area/shape so I can negotiate with SWMBO!

Regards the electrics I am going to do the work myself, but I have a sparky friend who is going to do the final connect up and sign off. I intend to put an alarm in and a wifi booster so I can use the laptop in there..

Sofar I see:

1) Dremel Stand

2) Pillar Drill

3) Scroll Saw

4) Lathe

5) Storage

6) Extra power points!

Olly

Titan bench size bandsaw about £60 never stop using mine great for soft alloys as well, blades £5 each on the bay, have a look here the best thing I did was make workshop L shaped, I need to finish this thread with the finished photos but I am very happy with end result. Do not scrimp on insolation I have a small oil filled electric rad which keeps the temp at 23 deg no problem. Its lovely to be in there and makes all the difference when it aint costing a fortune to heat. Oh yeh cool in summer also. I put a roof window in over the working area which is great you cant beat natural light. One wall is covered with a racking system made from cheap 2x2 and brush stales there is nothing I cant hang out of the way and safe, I will send pic if you interested how I did it.

Hi Olly
I have an old Burgess BBS20 bandsaw that is almost as indespensible as my pillar drill. The blades are fine providing you get the tension right and don't try and cut too tight a curve.
I use bathroom worktop for my heavy bench and the normal build bench is made from conti board on a 2x2 frame screwed to the shed wall. The legs (about 1m apart) are screwed to the floor securec with shelving brackeths. Nice and bright and more than strong enough for building on.

BW

Martyn

Olly have a look at the Proxxon range of hobby saws....one of these was reviewed by Alan Whittaker some while back and I bought one on his recommendation. It was a great investment...other than that I would say a scroll saw and a belt sander / grinder combo. Get a large drum sander to put in your pillar drill as well...

I echo the comment above about doubling the area you think you need - of course if this is affordablewink

Edited By Jon Laughton on 25/11/2012 14:34:24

Hi Olly,

1. prior to insulation - line with something like Visqueen. Literally "tank" the space. Then insulate. Leave a gap under the floor if you can - saves very cold feet!

2. How ever many power points you are installing - double it. I have about 14 I think, and I'm still running multipoints! embarrassed You need at least 6 around your main building board alone.

3. Storage - don't skim on this - you'll only have any chance at all of keeping the place tidy if you have storage space - for models and tools.

4. Ventilation. I fitted an extractor fan and I'm very pleased that I did. Nothing special, but it clears the air of cyno/paint/other fumes quickly. Makes your working environment much more pleasant for relatively little outlay. It also means that you can have ventilation without the crude method of simply opening the door/window - which can be very cold this time of year.

5. My experience - based on two winters, well one and a half! - is that heating is not too critical if you get the insulation right. I use an oil-filled electric radiator and find that having it on for half an hour at the start of a session is fine - I can then turn it off and the place will stay comfortably warm for the rest of the time I'm in there. Bear in mind, you are working, moving about and using energy, so you don't really want it that hot!

6. Has anyone mentioned lights? You can't have too much light! General and task lighting. If this is to be future proof you'll soon be reaching the point some of the rest of us are at already - personally I'm totally convinced that manufacturers are using smaller srcrews these days just to annoy me!

7. Finally, establish the ground rules early on; females allowed by invitation only and you are not to be disturbed in the shed other than in emergencies (and, no "my heated rollers have stopped working" does not constitute an emergency!)

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 25/11/2012 16:59:32:

"my heated rollers have stopped working" does not constitute an emergency!)

BEB

"My heated rollers have stopped working" is an excuse to go into the shed - and it will take at least 4 hours to diagnose and fix - even if the fuse only needs replacing.

Another tip is to take on one repair job at a time - each one takes an evening, taking 2 or more at the same time looses valuable brownie points (they have a combined value of 1) and you loose the opportunity of valuable shed time.. nerd

--

Martyn

Glad to see that you've mentioned an alarm. Have good think about the balance between physical barriers and the alarm. How secure is the garden, how many boundaries do you have, what are the entry/exit routes for the numpty who might pay an unwelcome visit? No doubt you'll have windows but think about blinds of some sort so that the contents are not visible. Sorry but I'm a bit anal about security matters (something to do with being an ex-plod), my starting point is not to trust anyone and think the worst … I know that much mention has been made of lights, I would like to suggest that external lights are a good deterant (operated by movement sensors), said numpty will not want to be standing under floodlights will he is trying to pick or force the lock on the door.

Edited By avtur on 25/11/2012 19:32:25

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 25/11/2012 20:35:21

the main tools that are in my dads garage that we use are the lath, scroll saw, pillar drill, band saw, two bench grinders, angle grinder, table saw, chop saw, massive planner, compresser, overhead router, hand router, circular saw, mig welder, arc welder and the all important work bench and vice.

may seem like over kill but all have a use and all get used regually

Edited By chris edwards 3 on 25/11/2012 21:00:28

This ones for you Ollie, My old kitchen table with a few tools bolted to it, with locking castors so i can roll it about. scroll and band saw, grinder has a piece of galvanised sheet below as a spark arrestor, next to go on will be a belt/disc sander if Santa thinks i have been a geed boy.

sany0370.jpg

yeah i know it is messy down here but 20 minutes work to put the 4 on and it has stood the test of my time so far.

sany0371.jpg

Edited By bouncebouncecrunch on 26/11/2012 06:56:58

Hi Olly.

Regards construction of shed. If 10ft sq is the agreed area, what about hight ? If you are building from brick, or block with a pitched roof an extra couple of feet headroom will give you a lot of storage space up top. A s/h caravan awning attached to the side would be a good idea for painting in, or running engines under when it's raining (also somewhere to camp out after offending swimbo). Don't forget a sink and drainage. Saves having to go back to the kitchen for another cuppa and running the wrath of "there you go again, dragging in sawdust, oil, bits of foam etc, etc". On a similar line, don't forget to make a suitable path to the house. Also make sure the shed is within range of the baby minder alarm (for the obvious reason).

Best wishes for the move, the expanding family and the new shed.

Kevin b

Kevin - Water is off the cards - the water in is at the other end of the house (pity)

Height is limited by planning regs to 2.5m above the surrounding ground, but given the earthworks which will be happening to get a level to build off then I'm sure I can be a little creative in that regard, and it will be a concrete base with wooden sides and roofing (with covering).

The exact details of construction will be decided once move complete, garden accuratly measured and finances consulted!

Found out this evening there is already an external power line to where a pond used to be though!

Beer fridge. Or maybe not! Could explain some of the banana shapes I have built in the past. Ok if you wanna fly left hand circuits all the time!

I'm in the same boat myself at the moment Olly. Going to convert my garage to a full workshop. The building bug seems to have bitten! Trouble I have got is persuading the boss that I need to put a shed up for all the garden tools/ furniture and bikes so I can have a nice clear garage to put work benches and power tools in!

Andy