which covering?

gary watson 1

I am thinking about building a plane and was wondering which heat shrink would be best?I want some that is strong,easy to put on and will not wrinkle in the sun.I already have the iron and heat gun any advice please, because when i looked for some there is a whole raft of them quite confusing to a newbie like me thank you

Gary

Advert

Gary,

I always use Profilm / Oracover ( same product ) although it tends to be pricey,I have yet to burn a hole in it and I've been at it a long time.

Solarfilm is cheaper but you can burn a hole in it quite easily if you are not carefull.

Peter Miller swears by Solarfilm supershrink polyester,he uses it for everything and it does not  sag in the sun ( if we ever get any )

As FB3 says the model will sort of dictate the covering,eg, a world war one Bi plane would look daft in a shiny film,so Solartex would be the correct choice.

Edited By Jim Carss on 11/12/2012 12:59:14

Posted by gary watson 1 on 11/12/2012 18:44:44:

thanks for all your replies,i was thinking about the tucano in the mass build

I'm with Jim Carss on this one. Profilm is my favoured film covering which I would use if I was participating in the mass build this year, though I understand that the new Solarfilm does not wrinkle in the sun like the older product.

For larger vintage models or fabric covered aircraft I rate Solartex.

I've used Giant Cod film, Hobbyking film, World Models Toughlon, Eazycote, Solarfilm Polyester and Oracover, even mixed on the same model. The only one that I find needs to be treated with care is Toughlon. It doesn't follow compound curves as well as the others and for me it's by far the worst for bubbling on a hot day. They do have some lovely metallic shades in the range though.

Posted by Jim Carss on 11/12/2012 12:58:42:

Peter Miller swears by Solarfilm supershrink polyester,he uses it for everything and it does not sag in the sun ( if we ever get any )

I like Solarfilm Supershrink, I find it a lot easier to use than Profilm type films and it's cheaper, not a lot of shops seem to stock it though, the only place I have found is Blackburn Models, Balsamart on the web.