Hobby King Spitfire (48")

Tim Mackey

After a pretty lousy year in many ways, I also capped things off with stuffing in my much loved Ripmax Spitfire in a dumb thumbs moment on a rare field visit.

I also wrote off my PSS Red Arrows Hawk earlier this year - but that's another story for another time.

Damage was pretty extensive, and with the way I felt generally, there was no way I was going to fix her up so I satrted searching out a replacement - Ripmax ones now seem rare as hens teeth, and it appears they are now doing a foamy version smaller, and just not appealing. I thought I would try the Hobby King version - pity they dont stock it in the UK warehouse ( how utterly dumb is that? ) so I made up a decent sized order and hit the buy button on the main Hong Kong site.

Got clobbered for customes etc, but hey ho, at least I now had a replacement..... or did I ?

Well yes actually, I think I have.

First impressions are pretty good ( especially considering the price tag of around £65 - they are up a bit now to £71 ) packaged well and with a comprehensive set of hardware - all seemingly fit for purpose. It even includes a set of mechanical retracts, but, as I intend using this on the slope as well, I shan't fit these. I especially liked the electric motor mount assembly ( although, like the ripmax version, it needs a good going over all around every joint with PU glue).

On first look, It seems an almost identical copy of the ripmax version, but there are several differences.....

Its lighter ( even the ailerons are built up ), but of course, this makes it more fragile too, and in one or two areas I added a few pieces of liteply, as I could easily see my clumsy fingers going through the covering film when handling.

Its designed around two wing servos not one central unit. Preinstalled strings assist with routing the cabling. I opted to "Y" join the two servos and use a single aileron socket on the receiver.

The cowl is much thinner fibreglass - and is not a great colour match with the fuselage - overall though, I like the matt finished covering which was pretty well wrinkle free.

Johnny Johnson's markings are out, replaced with J O N . No idea crook

There's no apertures in the wing underside which made a great hand hold for launching, so unless I do later fit retracts ( and if I do, I would use electric units ) it will be a top grip launch. Theres also no air venting in the cowl or fuselage, so after a few flights, I'll check things out and may cut a cooling hole or two if needed.

The manual is OK, but really just a series of grey illustrations - pretty naff for a beginner, but then, a beginner shouldnt be making or flying this aircraft. I followed my own route and assembly was easy, with parts fitting well, hinges are already slotted and just need a good dollop of cyano to hold them in the balsa edging, tail feathers are waggled with steel pushrods, and ailerons likewise with short stout linkages. All straightforward and simple TBH.

I will post more in part two, along with pictures and details of powertrain etc.

Edited By Tim Mackey on 13/12/2012 11:18:17

Advert

It does seem strange, that Scott would have missed a trick, in ensuring that this Spitfire is a UK stock item. There must be more to this than meets the eye.

Similar comments have been made with respect to the Lancaster. Although the higher cost of the Lancaster will reduce the number of sales, perhaps significantly.

Returning to the Spitfire, by the time I decided I would like one, Ripmax seemed to have stopped marketing them.

With the original Ripmax model I was put off by what I thought was a rather bizarre nose shape. Later I recognised it was meant to mimic a large diameter spinner. Although to my eyes, it just looked odd. Spoiling a otherwise, good looking model. I dad have reservations on what seemed an over slim fuselage. Strangely I have never felt the need to compromise in this area, with the German fighters I have mimicked. Generally stretching the wing chord and span. Whereas the Spitfire always seemed to have a better relationship between body cross section and wing area, for modelling.

I think I will just have to wait until the UK warehouse stocks the model.

Erfolg

If you're not averse to foam, there's a very nice Durafly 1100mm Mk 24 on the way, and the UK warehouse stocks the Durafly range. I've already got the Trojan, my son has the Vampire, and both fly superbly with no modifications. Money is already being set aside for the Spit, although that new Sea Vixen looks terrific too....

OK, just finished her off, so here is part two, which is mainly pictures with the odd comment.

First up, a couple of general shots top and bottomgen1.jpg

gen 2.jpg

Next is the motor mount arrangement that I mentioned. A decent ply assembly, well constructed, and reinforced with epoxy along the tabbed joints.

It slots into the main F1, and is held by two steel allen bolts. The motor bolts ( all holes lined up fine ) onto the front firewall, which is ply and epoxy plate laminate.

motor mount.jpg

I modified things slightly to allow mounting of the 60A ESC under the mount, secured with tie wrap, and directly connected to the motor wires.

esc mount.jpg

Holes were drilled in FI for battery connection cables, and also the wiring to and from the UBEC which can be just seen at the rear of the motor mount.

ubec.jpg

The motor ( indeed all the powertrain and radio gear is from the old ripmax spit ) fitted nicely with no mods required. Its an eflite power.15 which is 950 kV ( I like slower revving motors and big props ) which on 3s lipo with 12 x 6.5 graupner folder shows around 460 watts at 49A.motor.jpg

12 x 6.5.jpg

On the picture of the main fuselage and open battery bay, you can also see a mismatch of the canopy frame colour, but thats because I used the old one off the Ripmax spit, as the supplied one was unpainted, and didnt have the bubble canopy so my pilot wouldnt fit!

Pilot is a cut down old latex job I had laying around which I quickly painted

( the ripmax spitty pilot was killed in the crash...say ahhh... )

He sits over the satellite receiver of the AR6200 radio setup.

HS82 servos all round waggle the surfaces.

pilot and battery.jpg

The AUW with a large 4000 m/a LiPo is just 3 lbs, so power is ample...especially for scale flight speeds - I hate to see a Spitty flown like a funjet angry

If I use the recommended 2200 m/a pack weight drops to 2lb.10oz. Dry weight - no battery - is just 2lb 4 oz

The exhaust stubs were a bit boring and shiny black, so a quick rub over with some brown and gold paint applied with a cotton wool bud, and dry wiped helps the illusion a bit I think.

You can also see the colour difference between cowl and covering sad

old cowl.jpg

new cowl.jpg

Finally, heres a couple of the internals and wings

This is showing where I added PU ( gorilla ) glue to the joints, and also shows the radio gear installed.gluing.jpg

internals.jpg

Oh, the wing..... not much to say, other than servos fitted straight in, and no real issues at all.

Furry mylar hinges are supplied, and seem fine - for once, I havent overengineered and fitted pinning - all seems very secure as is.

I may bother to paint the horns and fittings black, but then again..... we will see LOL

wing servo.jpg

wing wires.jpg

The covering would obviously need removing if one wanted to fit retracts.

I made up my own "Y" lead arrangement, and a single 3 pin ashlok connects the wing servos to the flying lead off the receiver port.

Thats about it, all that remains is for the maiden flight, and the temperature needs to rise, and the water table fall before that is likely - but TBH, she looks right, so you know what they say......wink

Edited By Tim Mackey on 13/12/2012 15:53:41

Posted by Garbo on 13/12/2012 19:59:00:

If you cant wait its in the Dutch warehouse with a quick enough turnaround to have it for turkey day

Here

But at a rather steep £100 shy of a few cents - one wonders what price increase there will be at the UK depot, compared to HK frown

Edited By Tim Mackey on 13/12/2012 20:07:42

When I log on the price is about £100 delivered from the NL warehouse and £102.50 delivered from the Hong Kong warehouse.

And there is no Russian roulette with the customs from NL

I suspect the UK price will be within the ballpark of the above, dearer base price, cheaper shipping.

Hi Tim,
Excellent review and I'm sorely tempted.
A question re: the aileron servos and horns. As you are flying with no u/c, there's a distinct possibility of damaging either the servo or horn on arrival (sorry, landing) in the grass, so have you any thoughts on making, say, clear covers to protect them, or do you not see this as a problem?.
Steve

Posted by Essjay on 14/12/2012 12:36:56:

Hi Tim,
Excellent review and I'm sorely tempted.
A question re: the aileron servos and horns. As you are flying with no u/c, there's a distinct possibility of damaging either the servo or horn on arrival (sorry, landing) in the grass, so have you any thoughts on making, say, clear covers to protect them, or do you not see this as a problem?.
Steve

I dont forsee a problem TBH - in my experience, the covers often used in these circumstances are pretty flimsy and I never had an issue with the previous model which also had no undercarriage.

I'll see how she fares, and keep checking after arrivals - although without wanting to sound big headed, my landings are usually pretty darn good cheeky

• 4 weeks later...

Maiden flight was few days ago, and happy to report that all went well. As she is a little lighter than her predecessor, she flew well, although the very first flight was little hairy due to the COG being a bit rearward. Moving the battery forward a bit in the huge battery bay ( I can easily fit a 3s 4000 ma if required ) and a tad of down trim on the elevator saw a nice result, and overall I am well pleased.

I think there may be slightly more dihedral than the ripmax one - barrell rolss being even more , err, barrelly, but loops are nice and easy, and she tracked through them nice and straight.

One slight issue is with the aileron servos, as Essjay mentioned earlier, they protude on the underside of the wing, and upon landinga few times, the actual wire pushrod end did grab a small clump of grass. I'll make up some ply or plastic streamlining covers.

Scott says they are going to be stocked in the UK warehouse, so.... get one wink

Edited By Tim Mackey on 09/01/2013 17:58:26