Electric flyers, READ THIS THREAD

I get 15 mins per battery in my funfly and have 6 batteries.

so 1 and a half hours flying time in total.

and i can recharge 3 in that time, so that gives me another 45 mins and can recharg 1 more in that 45 mins, so yet another 15mins.

i think that is enough flying time for one session.

If you like ic good for you, just don't try to forceyou preference on to me.cheeky

Advert

Hi all, I think we have covered the electric via ic debate in previous threads, and there can be no definitive answer. The reason the wot 4 flies so well with an ic motor, is because it was designed for ic, so long ago before electric was feasible. We all have differant reasons for flying either or both of these modes, So the debate cannot give us a true answer as to which is best. Just enjoy the flying folks, and happy landings. Cheers FB3

When I took up model flying again three years ago my club consisted of predominately "commited" IC flyers, which mean't I got a barrage of "Oh another one that's gone over to the dark side" , "Let the smoke out", "Why don't you get a real engine" and other unprintable Jests.

We fly from a sight that has no real noise limitations, apart from those self imposed by members with respect to others, so noise is not a real issue.

Why then have all those IC members over the last 3 years converted, acquired, purchased, begged, swapped, built and borrowed electric planes, helicopters, quadcopters and anything else you can stuff an electric motor in and I don't get the comments and snide remarks anymore?

BECAUSE they are more convenient, cheaper to buy and run, aren't smelly, don't leak, destroy covering & airframes, are not so fussy about prop selection or fuel etc etc etc.

Don't get me wrong I do think the right IC motor espc. 4 stroke multi in a scale plane sounds fantastic. But I have a choice along with everyone else and for the above reasons plus others I choose ELECTRIC.

I fly electric because it offers better performance than an IC, no need to drive to a model shop to "recharge" a fuel can, nicer sound (I don't count glow 2-strokes as having a nice sound), less hassle, more reliable when throwing the model around in acrobatics, no pointing the nose in the air on the ground and my transmitter doesn't have oil all around it from my hands.

Nothing worse than doing an inverted spin with a glow model and not being sure if the engine is ready to give you power.

I still have one model that is glow - a 46 sized Travel Air. I keep it glow as lesson to reminds me how annoying it is, every time I get misty eyed about running a glow model and that it isn't all roses and sweetness.

My current favourite models - Precision Aerobatics Katana (30sized electric) and WOT4 ARTF glow converted to electric. The WOT4 performance by far exceeds any of the glow powered versions out on our patch.

If electric powered models weren't so good, there wouldn't be so many of them around now... The market is a good decider.

Si.

Edited By Simon Chambers on 15/12/2012 19:37:12

To be fair to CS, I think he isn't trying to force the issue. I think he is trying to promote the joys of IC and deminish any old views for unreliabilty.

I also like both Electric and IC and they both have their place, I think CS promoting IC is no bad thing, it helps stop new comers to the hobby from being put off by old view points or new electric opinion/promotion. Just because there has been massive improvements in Electric technology doesn't mean IC is old fasion oily and unreliable.

All he is saying is if you have only ever flown Electric (including training). Then don't be put off by IC it can be an absolute Joy to behold, if slightly different to Electric.

CS- I think part of the problem in these hard times is cost, the cost to switch to electric or both IC/Electric can put people off. They don't want to spend the money on the starter gear and fuel and end up not getting on with it.

I will add this, I am very pleased to see CS's enthusiasum for IC as a young guy. So often parents prefer there kids to go electric as the think it is safer, less complicated and less messy. Without Young guys like CS IC will disappear in the future and I for one don't want to see that happen.

Kwikanfi - Prop selection for Electric is absolutely vital if you don't want to cook everything and far less important on an IC. That said I do agree with some of your other comments.

Edited By Tony H on 15/12/2012 19:42:40

Edited By Tony H on 15/12/2012 19:47:47

I sometimes there is a relationship with smoking. When everyone smoked, not many noticed the smell of stale tobacco, nor the yellowing of white ceilings, the smell that attached itself to clothing, the persistent cough that many smoker had.

Now that smoking is restricted in many locations, so many notice, the merest whiff of cigarette smoke, are scathing of yellowed, dark stained ceilings etc. many who were reluctant to go into pubs or even restaurants, now are the new regulars.

I think something is similar with IC, those who are devotes, enjoy there interests every bit as before, many others find electric models have for them, many benefits.

Ahh, Erflog trust you to come up with that analogy probably a bit harsh but a certain amount of truth in it.

Simon, what I referred to was that prop selection is more critical with IC, have seen more than one IC powered plane stuffed in with the wrong prop.

CS, I respect and congratulate you on your enthusiasm especially regarding Concorde but unfortunately and we see so much of it these day's, restrictions on everyday life and our enjoyment of such due to the PC brigade, OSH and all sorts of beaurocratic nonsense (a man can't even build his cave/shed with out all sorts of Red Tape, correct Mr Hooper and others?) means that IC aircraft are probably going to be Museum pieces sometime in the future.

I flew IC including Wot4 and AcroWot (among the best basic planes to just fly around) up until the local field was closed down by the council about 4 years ago after 30 odd years.

I now fly electric locally due to restrictions but am visiting flying clubs further afield to enable me to get the IC planes out again.

I LIKE the fiddling about with IC engines but also the ease of picking it up, connecting the battery and just throwing an electric Yak.

My take on this is 'horses for courses'......

Maybe I not looking for confrontation but I did find it of interst that you could put an IC in a modern foamie without destroying the handling and a clasic balsa Wot4 always did take a pounding.

Edited By SkippyUK on 15/12/2012 20:24:59

CSB - this sort of thread is really not helpful.

You are well enough established on here to know that this can be a very emotive issue and, in my opinion, you are very lucky indeed that the reaction to your posts has been so temperate - you could have easily had a much more vitriolic response! The moderate reaction is probably a reflection of the fact that folks know that you meant no harm. But it only takes one "acid" reply and we trigger off a flame war. I'd quit whilst I was ahead if I were you.

I fly both and enjoy both. If some fly only one that's fine by me - its their hobby, their time and their money to do with want they want. Its certainly not my place - or yours - to tell them what they need to do!

BEB

I did read it and I did regret it !!! .....and the phrase " it sounded like a full size plane" not that many club sites would tolerate that sort of noise and I have flown ic in the many years Ive been in this hobby but now I prefer electric ......Live and let live ......

Lets not forget that not all Electric is quiet, plenty is just as loud as IC.

I like both and often take both to my flying site as after a certain time of day you aren't allowed to fly IC, so I either have one Small Electric and a Larger IC or vica versa in the car.

I like to take the pee out of my club members when they have to go home while I can stay and fly. Sometimes it's nice when everyone flys Electric it's very tranquil. Sometimes if I have taken electric only I take the pee out of the IC flyers for being too noisy, especially if everyone else is flying electric on the day.

Flito08 - Live and let live (I fully concur)

Edited By Tony H on 15/12/2012 20:53:07

Well thank you Tony H, you have got what I mean.

I think this thread is helpful. I have been thinking for a long time, about 4 months, about putting my views forward. The reason I did not earlier is because I expected to get shot at from all angles.

I am NOT SAYING IC IS BETTER THAN ELECTRIC. I AM ALSO NOT TELLING PEOPLE TO FLY IC. What I am trying to do is to show my fantastic experiences of IC and show a wider scope of the hobby to 100% electric flyers, and hopefully they give it a crack so they can enjoy the hobby more- not forcing them. Also, I want to try and diminish the interpretation that IC is unreliable and a hassle by tracking the 3 planes specified progress.

But what has happened? Bam bam bam, apart from a few. Forumites who are usually perfectly friendly to me have come out with rifles. Is this encouraging me to carry on with the hobby? Is this encouraging me to carry on building my Domino (which I have just been doing), then build my Jester and stay in the hobby for many years? No.

Would the same happen if I created a thread to show the advantages of electric? I don't know.

I know this post is quite strong, but it is how I am feeling now. Please keep voicing your opinions, mods please do not close the thread, it is useful and I think it can help people to show that you do not have to fly either IC or electric.

CS

I fly all forms of power , IC, electric , and non powered gliders .

I ve been flying electrics for a few years now but always take a mixture of both IC and electric. Electric is clean compared to IC BUT.. at charging time what mess. multiple cables ,plugs , chargers ,then theres the day before making sure all is charged. Yes i should make charging the batteries easier but never seem to get the time..

I have found that i seem to take more electric accesories to the field than i do IC gear.. battery checkers , chargers , correct leads, spare car battery to charge the batteries off so as not to clip the cars computer etc, then theres the shear amount of lipos , all to be safely stored .. hmmm

IC i mix the fuel at home , takes 10 minutes, have my flight box with starter and glow , fuel pump .For some reason this seems so easy . charge the starters gell cell , dont have to watch it like a lipo, fill the fuel , put a plane in and away i go.. when I get to the field i know everthing is there and ready.

I have to say , I really enjoy both IC and electric flying , I think electric flying is more popular because of todays computer and electronic age, younger people understand it and dont understand IC..

I certainly agree with the comment Electrics are noisey too ..

CS if you don't want to be shot at then maybe you shouldn't start a thread where before you post it, you already expect to be shot at.

From a completely personal point of view, I've been flying model aeroplanes since I was your sort of age (and that's a fair time). In my time I've had plenty of IC engines, and in my time I've made my own choices.

I don't think there is any danger whatsoever of the use of IC diminishing.
What I read between the lines in threads like this, is IC chaps getting a little worried, and a little defensive, over the fact that electric really has come of age and is a real equal nowadays.

If IC chaps are getting defensive, then why have I been shot at for explaining my fantastic experiences of IC? To me, that sounds like the other way round and I don't think it is fair. Electric has advanced massively, I did a lot of learning with it and I am happy to fly it but I am just trying to show that IC is also fantastic and you do not have to fly one or the other. Surely that is fair?

CS

Chris . I agree with you comments . electric has come of age .

Its a shame the IC /electric issue is ever a debate. theyre BOTH extremely good.

I do think your last paragraph is asking for more of a fight tho ..best those comments were left out dont you think. .?

I actually think that, considering just how provocative your OP could be taken as CSB, the response has been remarkably moderate!

I applaud your enthusiasm, but maybe you need to confine your comment to simply saying what you enjoy and leave the "evangelical" stuff aimed at converting others to the church!. As the thread is clearly causing you distress I'll call a halt.

BEB

I appreciate the message you were trying to get over, CS, but unfortunately your audience is to an extent composed of hard-bitten, life-weary old cusses, no longer in the first flush of youth, who perhaps have had quite enough of having been told what's good for them! smile

When they hear it, with all due respect, from a young lad who may have only a fraction of their experience, it's not surprising that their hackles are raised..........face 22

Don't be discouraged, though - we are a broad church and discussion is goodthumbs up

Mods, it's about time we had a 'popcorn' smiley !!! .........wink 2

Pete