What do you take to the field.

Erfolg

Advert

Posted by Erfolg on 16/12/2012 15:24:33:

I have wondered at the practicality of charging at the field with the advent of Lipos.

The first issue being that most seem to use for field use, at least 3s, which is pretty close to 12v nominal voltage of the car battery.

Not an issue: chargers with12v input "pump up" the voltage to charge multi-series LiPos.

Having said that, I agree about what to do. Field charging made more sense when LiPos were expensive. I only charge at home now.

Well I fly IC mostly so as well as models I take a flight box (c/w fuel, power panel, accumalator, pump & starter), Tx case for two txs. model restraint. cleaning materials and a tool box: its not so much...

Most essentially I take a floding two person seat for those contemplative moments between flights and for drinking coffee / eating!

I made myself an electric flight box which has space for some tools / LiPos and also a 12 V accumalator for powering a charger....it doesnt get used v often

Jon

Far too much, mostly just in case.

Generally, my flight box containing:

wooden box with powerpanel and electric fuel pump fitted. Wing nut bolts hold my spare props of the side, usually 14 x6 MA K series, 11 x6 APC and 18x6 Zoar.

12v 4.5 Ah gel battery

starter (3S 4900mah Lipo powered)

glow starter, plug spanner with spare plugs and a plastic box of most used pliers, crimps, screwdrivers, allen keys etc includes spanners for all spinner nuts.

Seperate plastic box with all small screwdrivers and allen keys

5L of 15% nitro fuel

Climbing rope loop for retraiing models. Strong glove (right hand) for starting petrol models

In addition:

restrants, sunglagges, Tx and Tx Case

If flying an eletric model as well, obviously add lipos. I keep mine at home in a aluminium case and those transported to the field are in an old ammo tin.

If flying petrol, also add seperate hand fuel pump and 5L fuel can of premixed petrol.

I carry too much really, knowing full well i will only make very minor repairs/tweaks at the field and should only really carry enough to fuel up, start and change a prop!