Hello

RC

Hello all,

Completely new to this forum and flying so all very new and exiting/scary for me.

been making and running R/C electric bots for some time but I feel there is now more of a challenge to fly and because of a lack of suitable waters near me, more of an opportunity to "go out to play" as there is a local flying club to me, Thurrock Model Flying Club, for the uneducated/lost, that's in the glorious county of Essex!

I went along to the field last Sunday and was greatly encouraged by the chaps there so it's now time to start saving for a Boomerang and some 2.4 gear. (anyone got a used Boomerang that they want to sell ?).

Looking forward to the build side of the hobby as I am an electro-mechanical engineer by trade so the build process is fascinating and hopefully some of the things I have learnt from the boats will stand me in good stead. Must admit that the black art of "coverings" does seem a little daunting though.

Hope this wasn't too much of a ramble, just pleased to be here.

Advert

Hello Arsee,

Welcome to this fasinating and enjoyable sport/hobby of ours. I hope you have as much pleasure out of it as I have had over the past 30 some odd years.

Hopefully there will be somebody in your new club who will be willing to take you under his wing (no pun intended) and get you on the right track.

I don't know much about the Boomerang as there is only one around in our club and its not finished yet, but I do know that the Irvine Tutor 40 is a good model having taught a couple of guys with one.

Don't wory about coverings, when you get around to this in the future, its not as difficult as it may seem, just needs a bit of patience.

All the best, Simon

Hello,

I am completely new to this site also. I've been in the airplane hobby in the US  for around twenty years now and fly giant scale and small electric--I'm really starting to dig those electrics. I like to build and in the process of building a Ziroli  P-40. I would say my main expertise is converting large chain saw motors into Aircraft  motors. All my airplanes have conversions with the exception of my latest build, a Cap232 EX that has a DA 100, I found how convenient it was to just buy an engine and install, it takes me approx 2 weeks to do a conversion, so it was very easy on this build.Hopefully someone can help me here, I have been paying a close look to the RCGF engines, they look like a quality engine compared to some of the other oriental engines offered. Does anyone know were I can purchase these engines, I'd like to try one out.Thanks, Vinny

Hi,

I'm another "RC" so  know how you get used to deploying the phonetic simile in advance.

Welome and have fun.  I have.  I started all this stuff up last March (2007) and I've found so much help and encouragement within this site.  Do ask questions and do say what you've been up to.  People will always help.  I've a boomerang, (sadly not for sale), and it's birilliant! That's why.  I've an irvine 53 2st in there and it goes like a dingbat.  Now the engine is properly run in it will almost climb on the prop, but not quite, so it still keeps you guessing in stall turns, etc.  Quite a mean machine.  strong as anything, so long as you hit the ground gently and a great flyer.  When you find one, have fun.  I got mine for 65 in a sale.  Look around - especially at this time of year...

Regards, Rob

Thanks for the encouragement Rob.

Boomerang still looks favourite but as I haven't any "Glow Gear" yet I must admit to being tempted by the new Seagull E-Pioneer as elecrtric flight seems to be making big inroads into the hobby and being a "sparks" by trade, I'm sort of used to playing with the electrickery.

Any thoughts anyone ? ...........and I still have not decided on which mode, opinions please.

Thanks, Ian.

Mode is down to your preference, and of course, it is normal to go with the mode your instructor /clubmates use.

Electric beginners models are getting better and more common. Try something really simple and easy like the V tail jobby featured in the mag this month, there is a link to the company concerned on the forum here. ( flyingwings ) 

Timbo,

I have just looked at the V-tail trainer and whilst I can see the obvious advantages I think I will go for the Boomerang /E-Pioneer route.

Is the E-Pioneer Seagulls electric version of the Boomerang? I am very tempted !

I spotted this bloke flying down in the valley below my house. Thought he was an expert as he was doing loops, rolls and inverted all over the sky with this flying wing.

Went down for a natter, turned out he had taught himself to fly in two weeks with a  standard Zagi.

Now has a brushless motor and lipos. goes like stink.