New diesel engines?

The Whistler

OK guys, my friend and I are thinking of building a Vic Smeed Tomboy.

We would like to power them with diesel engines as per original.

I`ve been searching t`internet and the only ones I can find are PAW, not a problem, they seem to be good engines. But just wondered if there are any others out there, 0.5cc to 1cc .

Thanks. TheWhistler.

Advert

The 06 MP Jet is a suitable diesel engine.

If you would like to enter your Tomboy in the SAM 35 Tomboy 3 Competition this is one of the permitted engines. The others being the Mills 75 and its derivatives which appear on eBay from time to time.

In the Tomboy 3 competition the competitors all launch at the same time and the winner is the one who is down last. I've never participated myself as all of the events are "down south," but it looks like fun.

In common with many old time, schoolboy modellers, I have a soft spot for diesels. To the extent i still have a number of old diesels. Two ED racers, a 1.5 AM, 1.49 PAW.

I have not used them in years. Although I would not really want to use one, other than nostalgia. What actually stopped my usage, was the difficulty of obtaining and the expense of the fuel.

I understand it is even more of an issue now.

The positive side, is that diesels are quite frugal on the amount of fuel consumed.

Thanks for the replies.

Hoping to go the Nostalgia route - tissue and dope or may use litespan, depends on SWMBO.

There is a Irvine Mills 0.75 on e-bay at the moment £132 so far, I`m not quite that nostalgic HA HA.

So maybe a PAW 55 BR then, will consult with my mate.

I do have a KINGCAT 1.49CCdiesel for another project later on.

Would a PAW 06 not be a better bet, looks just as the old/early PAW's, yet has a RC carburetor,. I would also guess that the price is more affordable.

The other thing about PAW, they have always been excellent engines, where current spares are available ( although unlikely to be needed).

Another aspect, these products are made in the UK, not India, or some other country in the Far East.

There is a MP jet 040 on e-bay now ,this is a very good substitute for a Mills P.75 I think they may be avalible new from Flitehook ?? also look for S/H DC merlin/spitfire M.E. heron/snipe E.D. Bee mk 1/2

AND there are two AM 10's on e-bay ,one is a later r/c one with silencer a beter engine than the PAW IMO

Edited By jeff2wings on 29/12/2012 18:23:04

Posted by The Whistler on 29/12/2012 01:33:30:

OK guys, my friend and I are thinking of building a Vic Smeed Tomboy.

We would like to power them with diesel engines as per original.

I`ve been searching t`internet and the only ones I can find are PAW, not a problem, they seem to be good engines. But just wondered if there are any others out there, 0.5cc to 1cc .

Thanks. TheWhistler.

I recently bought a Boddo Mills .5cc from Andrew Boddington. He may have more. Why not drop him a line on [email protected] he may also have the .75cc version.

PAW are most excellent engines.....do be a bit careful when choosing one however as they seem to have got themselves a bit confused regarding the units used for capacity......they offer a PAW 55 where the "55" refers to the engine being 0.55cc. There is also a PAW 06 which you might reasonably assume to be 0.60cc but you would be wrong as this is 0.6 cubic inches which is 1.0cc...dont know

This list of the PAW range might help click here & scroll down

Like yourself Steve, I would either use a reliable old Diesel that I owned, or buy a new PAW.

Second hand Diesels on E-Bay have to be pot luck, in most cases. Some of the reproductions look nice, although not necessarily that reliable or well made, nor low cost.

The AM I own is a 1.5, which I guess what not meant to be used on sports models, probably intended for CL, as the power is good, compared say a Mills, a lugger. But is a lugger what is required for RC, enough power to get away confidently, with authority, then throttle back, is what I look for. I am not convinced about seeing a RC model, scrabbling for height, as it circles at 3 feet, then head height, then finally clawing its way to some altitude, where there is a greater safety margin. Particularly with any wind.

Hi sorry for the delay in replying, been a bit busy lately.

The Tomboy is to be free flight, hoping to join in the "chuck and duck" at the Nationals later this later year.

Ordered the Tomboy laser cut short kit from oldschoolmodelaeroplanes on ebay yesterday and they have just arrived now. WOW now thats quick.

Have decided to go with the PAW engines and have been in touch with them via e-mail, so just got to ring them and purchase said engines.

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated.yes

Must go and open my parcel now.

The Whistler.

• 8 months later...