Hobbyking Altimeter

Hi Pete B

and thank you very much for the response and the pointers.

I think my problem was trying to work out the com port number.

I did revisit your suggested links.

Then with a bit more poking at the site control bar suddenly there was data on the graph.

So the system and the gadget does work, and that is a relief.

Now I must make a couple of flights and see what revelations are awaiting me.

Thanks for the help Pete B.

Go With the Flow

Bruce

Advert

So, have managed to get a couple of afternoons with the HK altimeter, and thanks to you guys been able to download the data as well.

I found that the com 5 port was the one that seemed to bring forth the data.

Can somebody tell me if that is of my doing or that this device has a mind of its own? IE why not com 1 or com 2? or any other com for that matter?

Another, perhaps silly question.

My understanding from the HK blurb is that it has a 63h recording capability! does 63h mean 63 hours or something else?

First time I did the down load and then cleared the memory (i think), there had been in the region of 2 hours recorded and it said it was 98% full. 2nd flight with what I assumed was a cleared out memory, I again got about 2 hours record and again it was 98% full.

Both recorded sessions ended mid flight (run out of memory) and still plenty lipo life.

For the second flight i tried to set up the recording at 1 second intervals to get a longer record time compared with the first session. Maybe i did not get it right???

I'm obviously still trying to get familiar with this thing, but already, i am getting some interesting (to me) details like catching a thermal for around 3 minutes, climbing rate, climb peak altitude/ height whatever.

i am glad that i purchased the altimeter, and I anticipate some fun analysing what's what.

I can't vouch for how accurate it is, but at least it works as a fair indicator of what I'm doing! or not! as the case maybe.

Looking forward to more info on this device from those in the know!

Go With the Flow

Bruce

Bruce

The amount of recording time depends on the sampling rate you set.

At 1 Hz (one sample a second) it does indeed have sufficient on board memory to record for 63 hours.

I set mine to the maximum (8 Hz) which at 8 hours is plenty long enough even for my 'Endurance' plane.

It is remarkably accurate and at the high sample rate shows when I pick up a plane off the ground to hand launch it,

My biggest grumble is the 'fixed' graph format. The vertical and horizontal scales are fixed by the software so the only way to get a graph to properly fit the page is to take a screen shot (a button to do this is provided) and then manipulate the graph in something like the Paint package.

A great gadget. Mine survived 5 days submerged in freezing water. It even recorded the water temperature (green line on the graph) for some time before the battery ran out!

Finally, don't try to see just how high you can go, no matter how tempting it is to try. I did and it cost me both the plane and my altimeter. Drat and double drat!

I can't remember which Com port mine used, TBH. I think it depends on your PC as to which it chooses.

As Simon says, it seems to be remarkably accurate. I used it in the P2000 along with a Spekky altimeter module to get a direct comparison, and both produced figures within 2ft of each other at 750ft. If they are both inaccurate, at least they are consistent....smile:

spek alt and hk alt.jpg

It's easy to overlook clearing the memory and you can end up with a lot of 'fettling' files if you don't clear it regularly.

Pete

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 03/09/2014 12:43:08:

My biggest grumble is the 'fixed' graph format. The vertical and horizontal scales are fixed by the software so the only way to get a graph to properly fit the page is to take a screen shot (a button to do this is provided) and then manipulate the graph in something like the Paint package.

Not sure what you mean "fixed", Simon but using the "Hzoom" & "Vzoom" alters the scales, albeit leaving the resized graph within the same "canvas" size. Vzoom invariably clips some or all of the top altitudes but Hzoom is useful to examine individual flights when I don't switch off between flights. E.G. climb & glide flights.
Apart from the altitude, the altimeter is useful as a record of power bursts v glide times & total flight durations.

BTW if I want to magnify the canvas size I use the PC's "Print Screen" button then crop & resize the result in PSP.

Like you my altimeter is set a 8Hz & there's no problem recording a whole day's flying session, even two or three of days if I forget to delete the previous.

OK Guys, thank you for sharing the info and experiences with the HK altimeter.

That has reassured me that my one is probably ok and I just need to get more familiar with it.

NOW, for the next question.

I have also purchased the HK bluetooth widget to go with the altimeter.

There is a little switch with positions: SETUP, STOP, and RECORD.

I have downloaded the Android App for this onto my mobile

The Chinglish description is a bit weird!!!

Can anybody tell me how they usually set this up, and how they use it at the flying site, in practical and normal English, Please.

Thank you guys for all the help and the lots of useful info which I have gleened on other topics in this great forum.

Go With the Flow

Bruce

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys

After all this time, I have damaged the lead at the white connector with the white wire loop that plugs into the "chicklet" altitude sensor..

I have attempted a repair, but without success.

Any ideas where I can get a replacement lead please.

The actual recorder chicklet and the down loader is perfect.

I have to say that I was very pleased with the device for post flight performance reviews.

Go With theFlow

Bruce

Bruce

I suppose it depends on how good you are with a soldering iron but I wanted to use my altitude sensor on several planes so I made several sets of leads.

The end that plugs into the sensor is a 4 lead mini JST. You can buy them from Ebay with wire tails already attached - 20 for £2.99 delivered!

The wires are not the right colours or in the right order but as long as you connect the right pair to the right positions on the servo plug, cut off and join the other pair together they work fine.

Altimeter lead

You will notice that on the lead I made it did actually change over the positions of the red and black wires (fiddly!) so they were the same as the original.

I just did not like the thought of a red wire being the earth and black one being positive!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there Simon and anyone else with the connector problem.

Simon's link took me to the supplier,and I placed the order. The connectors arrived well packaged and in good time. The link was for micro mini, and unfortunately that size, when it arrived, is too small for my HK altimeter.

Just so that nobody else mistakenly orders that size. If I knew the right size, I would use this supplier again,

I am guessing that maybe it is a mini connector??? but then, I don't know enough to be sure.

Go With the Flow

Bruce

Hey guys Thank you for rallying around to help me out.

Simon, no reason for apologies. You set me about "mission impossible", and at least we got the supplier, whom I have to say gives a great service.

I have once again placed an order, and hopefully this time I have it right.

So I am sitting with 20 mini micros. are they any use to anybody out there? I am in UK. and can post them easy enough. £3.00.

Go With the Flow

Bruce