What airliner is that?

Peter Miller

I was sent a link to this fascinating website. I first saw it as an App on a smart phone.

**LINK**

Not only can you see the name and operator of the aircraft, you can see the track, altitude, speed etc. Just clcik on each aircraft.

Even more interesting, you can watch the flight or better, the landings from the cockpit with the instruments on one side.

It covers the whole world so everyone can enjoy it.

Advert

It is a great site Peter, I use it quite regularly. My home is under one of the paths into heathrow and I find it fascinating to look up in the sky, see an airliner and then instantly be able to find out where it has come from.

He also has pages specific to each flight number, so on this page for example you can see previously recorded tracks for a Qatar airlines flight and have the play back at faster than real time.

r.

I have this on a tablet and its very addictive. Foggy mornings are interesting when yoyu see how many aircraft are stacked around Essex, Kent and North West London - frightening!!!

Also looked at Norway and found helicopters showing up on the radar.

One interesting point, in the south east a vast majority of the aircraft in our airspace are Easyjet or Ryanair.

rActive, I know that feeling!

For those with smart phones, the app has a 'augmented reality' (I hate that term) view, where the app enables the camera, you hold the phone to the sky and it overlays information about what planes you can actually see. A picture will explain it better:

img.jpeg

The normal view is on the left, on the right you can see what the person could see with the flight details overlaid. And thanks to the gyros, accelerometers and GPS you can just wave the phone around pointed at the sky and whenever it thinks there is a plane in view it draws the info on the screen. It is pretty amazing really, although in my experience, not _quite_ there yet!

And of course you look like a bit of a nerd while doing this!

r.

I've been using it for a few months now - the PC version is more detailed even compared to the Pro App version but it does have one great advantage - it will alert you to Squawk 7600 (Comms failure) & 7700 (emergency) codes.

Absoultely fanatastic and as far as I know the only one freely available that is ine real time (others are usually at least -5 minutes).

A truely brilliant app to have.

I live just two miles from the threshold of runway 23R at Manchester (the main arrival runway), being something of a sad bunny I not only watch FlightRadar24 I also listen on airband radio to get the complete picture on arriving and departing flights (one day I'll get a life!) The information is so accurate I can step outside my back door and watch the flights go overhead and the position on the moving map is correct to within seconds, its quite amazing.

Late last August I was tracking a flight my wife was on, returning from Greece to Manchester. I stepped out into the back garden to watch the plane fly over and listening on the radio .... at the very moment I was watching the plane over my back graden the appraoch controller called "Thomson XXX - go around - go around - go around" and right in front of me I saw and heard the engines spool up, the gear lifted and of the aircraft went into a 'very positive' climb. The aircraft then took a very large circuit to the north of Manchester before returning 20 minutes later.

I watched the second approach also, it went ahead without problem. Once I knew the plane was on the ground I was able to time my trip to the airport to pick my wife up so as to keep my stay in the car park to a minimum.

I've introduced a number of people to FlightRadar24, anyone that sees it is immediately quite overcome by the detail it offers.

The really sad thing is I work at airports around the UK every day of the week, and have done for over 20 years, but whenever and wherever I hear an aircraft I can't help but look up ...

Edited By avtur on 17/01/2013 19:27:47

One of my old mates, also a Radio Amateur, took this up some years ago. P'raps not the same program , can't remember. However he got the avtive Program, reciever and aerial, as more local "view" points were and are needed, and fed the result into the wider Web base. Sadly, his health has him in a care home now.

More UK RX bases needed to give better coverage, no need to be a Radio "Ham". does have a cost to be active though.

Edited By flytilbroke on 18/01/2013 12:01:09