Classic Aerobatic Model Photo Thread

Martyn K

Posted by brian ball 1 on 07/09/2015 08:16:11:

Hi is skegness still on this weekend seems very quiet out their

Brian smiley

Hi Brian

Yes - Skeggy is on for Sunday. Please contact Steve Dunning for location if you don't know where it is. I'll be sending an e-mail out to members later today

M

Edited By Martyn K on 07/09/2015 09:11:36

Advert

Just realised that I never posted an update on my "KingPin" project! Well, it had its maiden flight on the 6th of June, in the face of a howling gale! It handled it beautifully, and the 1967 Webra provided "ample" power:

More details in the video.
Just realised that I might have already posted this in the "What's your oldest engine" thread. Apologies if this upsets the mods....! blush
--
Pete

Hi Brian,

Its come in at about 6 1/2 lbs (no idea what that is in the new fangled units!). Most models of that era seemed to come in at about 8lbs back in the day, but then this one isn't lugging around 5 Bonner Transmites, a reed receiver and an 8.4 volt battery pack! That lot alone must account for nearly 2lbs! wink

It feels a lot more stable than I expected. Of course, it was designed to fly on reeds, but nonetheless, it was considered a "hot" model back in the day!

It rolls beautifully axially, and spins and recovers very easily - not like many modern 'planes that can be the very devil to get spinning! The thick blunt wing helps control the speed nicely, and the stall is very gentle. It is utterly vice-less!

I did beef up the ribs that are used to locate the undercarriage legs, facing them with thin ply. Some of the sites I fly from are a bit rough! The old Webra provides "ample" power, though I had expected it to be a bit more lively. Back in the day, it used to haul a "Tornado" (locally produced Taurus clone) around in grand style, and that DID weigh over 8lbs with its foam wings and a Bonner Digimite on board!!! I think the Webra might be slightly over-propped. Its fitted with a very broad bladed 12x6 - possibly intended for 4-strokes - and an HB "Quiet" muffler, which won't help either.

I'm not a huge fan of strip ailerons, and if I were building another would be tempted to fit conventional tip ailerons, but this one is as per plan.

Next up, I'm thinking of an Orion! I have an Irvine 46 looking for a good home, and the Orion was originally powered by either a K&B or Veco 45 IIRC! But that is a year or so off yet!

Yes, I'm delighted with the KingPin. Its a dream to fly and I hope to get a good few years enjoyment out of it!

--

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello gents,

Bit of a random post I know, but having enjoyed reading through this thread a great deal I thought I'd say hello. Through the mysterious linking of the internet, I randomly came across my name on this thread from longer ago than I care to mention. It's been great being able to look back to the models of my youth, and I have been resisting the itch for quite a while to get a curare and go flying somewhere. {I disappeared from F3A many years to go and study, get married, family etc, and started flying after a very long time out. I'm pretty much solely F3F now, but have had the good fortune of representing GB recently.} I'd love to have a go at F3A again sometime, so will keep an eye open for any retro comps nearby and maybe pay a visit to get the bug again. Meanwhile, greetings to anyone who knew me back then, and I'll continue to enjoy the nostalgia available through this forum.

regards

Mark

.....& I recall Mark very well too; think it was some 20 years previous that we last corresponded & way too many years further back when we last flew together on RAF Upwood. I'm not at all surprised you've used your competitive instinct in another discipline. I recall watching this 'youngster' practicing Schedules, eventually providing me with the motivation to 'have a go'....& I did wink That style of flying influenced my approach to F3A. Thx Mark.

I remember you Mark. I think that you won the Nats about the time I packed it in. Never did get offered a Redshift but would have stuck with OPS anyway. Often wondered where you had disappeared to. You have probably noticed that I now occasionally fly a Curare, just for nostalgia although it is difficult to beat.

On the models note, my first real aerobat was a Clipper which I have not seen mentioned on here. Cannot remember the designer but it was a Bulldog other than the long canopy. Don`t know who copied who. Keith Jones or the other guy.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 01/12/2015 22:02:33:
On the models note, my first real aerobat was a Clipper which I have not seen mentioned on here. Cannot remember the designer but it was a Bulldog other than the long canopy. Don`t know who copied who. Keith Jones or the other guy.

Hi Martin, I don't know if it's the same thing but I once had a Clipper 3 designed by Chick Holland. The plan is still available, the only problem would be the canopy. As I remember ( back in the early 70s) I used 3/32 balsa planking instead. It flew very well.