Classic Aerobatic Model Photo Thread

Martyn K

I think I may have a similar kit, produced by Lance Maresh who sold his business to Home and Hobby Solutions. Always had a soft spot for the Taurus, it was my first pattern ship in the late 60's, flown on Orbit 10 channel reeds powered by one of Dennis Allens Merco 61's. The Taurus kit will probably be a retirement project. Sadly no pictures of my old Taurus.

Advert

This was my "Taurus", back around 1970:

Actually, it was a "Tornado" - a locally produced "Taurus" clone - same shape, but foam wings and tail. It flew really well. The radio was a Bonner Digimite-8 (which I still have, in working condition!) and a pre-Blackhead Webra 61 for power.

That same engine is currently flying my KingPin!

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 12/10/2016 09:17:27

Chris, do you happen to have any info on the motor / prop / LiPo (capacity) on that Taurus? I ask because I have an "Orion" (predecessor of the "Taurus" ) on my "to do" list. I have an un-run Irvine 46 that I was going to fit (the original flew on a Veco 45), but all the clubs down here only permit power flying on certain days. I'm wondering if I should make a foray to the Dark Side!

Any info you have on the power setup - and any comments about how adequate it is, and the sort of duration you get - would save me a lot of research!

Cheers,

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 12/10/2016 20:06:51

CHRIS OLSEN''S COUSIN

I was told today that Chris Olsen's cousin John Hughesdon died last Friday. John was the last relative of the Olsen family i was in touch with although other relatives live in America I think.?

John was a Chartered Civil Engineer, and during his National Service in the Navy he assisted with the maintenance of Seafire aircraft.

Chris of course designed the 'Uproar', 'Uplift' and 'Upset' model aircraft and was British model aerobatics champion in 1958, and a member of the aerobatics team that won the World Aerobatics Championship in 1962 at Kenley aerodrome.

Ah, what memories! 1994...ish LD40s from the Newman Precision kit I suspect. Not many of these left now. I guess the new rules would suggest this design is now ok to fly in Classic events...? 22 years gone in a flash! Looks very nice indeed.

Hi Mike; just to say Chris Olsen also won the Nat's with his Upset II in 1967

Posted by terry westrop on 15/10/2016 09:43:31:

Ah, what memories! 1994...ish LD40s from the Newman Precision kit I suspect. Not many of these left now. I

I have one in the "to build" queue.

I believe that Ali senior had bought a container full of kits for his collection at Als Hobbies in MK, a couple or perhaps more years ago now, and was advertising and selling off all the items that weren't required. I went to buy something else, then saw the Newman Precision Aeros Loaded Dice 40 kit - which I don't think he'd got around to listing yet - so I bought that aswell.

Lucky find!

img_0091.jpgimg_0089.jpg3 years ago I crashed my nearly new Crescent Bullet when the ground wasn't as low as I thought it was. Since the remnants have skulked in the corner of the workshop. Guilt then took hold this autumn nudging my conscience into accepting I shouldn't start the winter build until I had rebuilt the Bullet. So much like Trigger's broom the original now has a new wing and no doubt next time a new fuselage. Anyway it is ready for the winter. The original is the yellow and red version the rebuild is blue.img_4172.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is my PB Calibre maidened last Monday - now I know what all the hullabaloo is all about; these classic aerobats fly beautifully! smiley I love it.

Built from the Cloud Models Kit she is powered by an OS75AX with fixed u/c and I cheated with the cowl by buying a glass fibre Acrowot cowl from Carbon Copy.

I am still struggling with a canopy as the moulded one supplied with the kit is way to narrow to fit nicely. At present I have blocked up a canopy in the workshop (blue foam + balsa) that is glass covered so this may be the solution and I also have some vortex van form canopies as a fall back. It's not a retro colour scheme but heck I like it! Martyn K has kindly advised on how to ensure the u/c stays rigid.....thanks Martyn.

Would have come to Skegness this Sunday but family commitments preclude that Hope to bring her to one of the other fly ins this year...calibre.jpg

• 1 month later...

Having been banished to the colonies (Australia) from Gloucester 30 years ago I kept up the hobby, did the ducted fan thing for a long time then 15 years ago I built my last model, I got hold of a Graupner Kwik Fli 111 kit from eBay, where else? built it and put an SC 75 in it, it flew very well, great model. 12 years ago I gave it all up, sold everything, the last to go was the KF as we moved nearer to Melbourne for my job, just over a year ago, having retired from the Public Service i found I was drawn back to modelling, so I bought radio and an ARF pattern model, a Phoenix Typhoon that has more than a passing resemblance to a Dirty Birdi, went electric and was very impressed with the model, OS powered by the way, I rejoined the club I helped form and have been active ever since, about 2 months ago i bumped into the guy who bought my KF111, he had given up the hobby and was going to move interstate, long story short i got the plane back, damaged but fixable, i stripped it down repaired and recovered it (orange blue and white img_0386.jpgand the result is shown in the photo, power is a Tomcat 52 motor, 590KV on a 12x 8 prop 6 cell pack and an auw of just on 6 and a half lbs. Half power flies it perfectly although it needed 4 beeps of down trim until the power comes off then it resorts back to neutral, so i think a couple of degrees of down thrust is called for, but its a great old design and i just had to build its smaller brother, the Flea Fli is a nipple little model on a 3s pack at 2.5 lbs auw. its great to look at what people in the home country are doing and for the first time in almost 20 years i will be back for a holiday at the end of May.img_0385.jpg

The Gangster 63 was the 'Control' model in the 'Flying Radio Control Aerobatics' book in the RC Handbooks series.

Although it was described as a 'sports aerobat', the model proportions were very similar to the 'professional' aerobatic aircraft of the era. A Highly under-rated design IMHO.