Classic Aerobatic Model Photo Thread

Martyn K

Advert

This is my Slik Fli I have nearly finished I have sprayed it in the same colour scheme my dad did his in years ago I just have the gold strip between the white and red left to do then the painting is finished. I am struggling a little with the canopy I have e mailed vortex vacforms to see if they have anything that may be suitable any body have any other ideas please.

img_3750.jpg

img_3757.jpg

I have more photos in my album with dimensions of the canopy on.

Steve

Thanks Kevin I will have a look.

Steve

Just looked and I think you are correct Kevin it will fit/do with some trimming next problem finding some one with one  a quick search say from the states is £41 that will not be happening.

Edited By steve 1 on 02/05/2017 22:28:06

Edited By steve 1 on 02/05/2017 22:29:02

Steve, you could make your own canopy from a large fizzy drinks bottle........ Such bottles are made from a heat-shrink plastic so when you heat them they try to shrink back to their original shape. You first make a wooden plug, cut the ends of the plastic bottle and then jam the plug inside the bottle. A bit of judicious heating with a heat gun and bingo! You have your canopy. Actually it may take a few bottles before you get it right. There are many "how to" videos on Youtube. This is just one of them......... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puEEeSymQag

Good luck!

Posted by steve 1 on 02/05/2017 22:05:01:

This is my Slik Fli I have nearly finished I have sprayed it in the same colour scheme my dad did his in years ago I just have the gold strip between the white and red left to do then the painting is finished. I am struggling a little with the canopy I have e mailed vortex vacforms to see if they have anything that may be suitable any body have any other ideas please.

img_3750.jpg

img_3757.jpg

I have more photos in my album with dimensions of the canopy on.

Steve

That's very nice Steve

We had two Slik Flis at the last Loughborough UKCAA Fly-in.. Very nice aeroplanes indeed

Martyn

Hi Chaps, thanks for all the replies/suggestions. As I said before I had E mailed Vortex Vacforms yesterday and this morning I had a reply complete with photos with measurements on, they do have one which is very close so I am going to order one from them and see how we go.

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Steve

I made an 11/12 scale Slik Fli for an OS.40P and Futaba Digimax 4, scaled up from the reduced scale reproduction of the plan when it appeared in RCME. With no hope of buying a canopy to fit back then, I made a two-piece one from wrapped acetate sheet. I drew the windscreen and canopy on the side view - two straight lines - and cut the windscreen bow from thin ply to match the shape of the fuselage former at the rear of the cockpit. Easy and cheap and it looked OK to me. The windscreen bow could also be made from laminations of balsa strip formed round a piece of card as guys do for wing tips and tailplane outlines on scale models.

My 92% scale Slik Fli was a super flyer, but ended its days crushed when the garage roof of our RAF married quarter fell in and smashed it.

Gordon

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 05/05/2017 20:52:32

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, well I received my canopy last Wednesday from Vortex and after some cutting and trimming I think it looks ok, I have now finished the model and maiden will be in around two weeks so the paint can harden off before I run the old HP 61.

img_3761.jpg Steve

Great Steve. Love the colours, very crisp. I did my first f/glass and paint job a couple of months ago and had a lot of trouble with the masking for the trim. The paint was always bleeding under, I had some success brushing a coat of Poly-C along the edge of the masking tape to seal it before spraying. That improved the line but wasn't perfect either. Have you had problems?

Posted by Gordon Whitehead 1 on 05/05/2017 20:50:37:

My 92% scale Slik Fli was a super flyer, but ended its days crushed when the garage roof of our RAF married quarter fell in and smashed it.

Gordon

Gordon, that has to be the best tale for the demise of a model I've seen yet! Sad, but brilliant!

Andy

Thanks Philflyer. I use fine line tape which is like a vinyl tape I have used masking tape before and had the same problems with creeping though I have never tried what Martin has said, the fine line tape I can really recommend it not only gives a great edge but using the 1/4" I was able to go around corners fairly easily the taping around the canopy at the front was done in one continuous piece of tape no joins and no bleed through at all I have some more pictures of it in my album though your not allowed to zoom in to close lol.

2017-05-23 15.06.44.jpg

Steve

At the Pontefract Retro meet last week, Ali Machinchy Snr turned up with some stunning models:

I believe the Veron Concord was the actual model flown for the Shah, when RCS and Veron laid on a display in Iran back in the 60s! There was also an immaculate Orion in there - one of my favourite models - but somehow I neglected to photo it!

In my dreams...... <sigh!>

--

Pete

• 2 months later...

hg8.jpghg7.jpghg6.jpghg4.jpgHOG BIPE aquired unfinished airframe that had been untouched for at least 10 years. Converted to electric and completed. 580kv motor/70A ESC/5S 4500 lipo and 14"x7" propeller. Weight approx 8.33 lbs.

Excellent performance. Trimming out thrustlines as had been built as per plan with NO SIDE THRUST!!!hg1.jpg