Classic Aerobatic Model Photo Thread

Martyn K

Advert

Posted by terry westrop on 12/12/2015 21:25:34:

The Newmans, (Paul & Bob), flew these models back in the 80's prior to becoming F3A regulars. They made a plug & had several canopies drawn off by Punctilio of Liecs who still have the plug I believe.

That's one of those useful facts that we should be recorded somewhere.., May add a useful titbits page onto the resources page for the UKCAA website

I'm looking for Hammant's King Spectre construction drawings in pdf or jpg file

Would like to find Doug Spreng's Twister too.

look at a thread I started on italian forum

http://www.baronerosso.it/forum/aeromodellismo/348421-pluri-nuove-proposte.html

Thanks

Edited By Giuseppe Ghisleri on 15/12/2015 12:26:24

Edited By Giuseppe Ghisleri on 15/12/2015 12:28:40

Posted by Martyn K on 15/12/2015 09:47:05:

How was the colour trim done Peter? It looks very tidy

I used Solarflim. The underside cheque is separate pieces carefully measured and cut to size (It takes a lot longer to do than if you just use one larger piece) I often mark and cut out paper patterns. One problem that I found was that Solarflim does not stick as well as Profilm/Oracover. I also find that an oilstone, to keep the knife blade tip very sharp, is a good idea.

That very neat. I always have a problem keeping a straight edge when applying film as trim - usually end up with a curve or two as the film shrinks.. frown

Have you sealed the edges? I use Solarlac but my LMS hasn't had it in stock for a while.

By the way, what is the powerplant?  Is it petrol?

M

Edited By Martyn K on 15/12/2015 15:36:15

• 3 weeks later...

I remember seeing this photo in Model Airplane News decades ago. I could have sworn the plans were at one time offered by model airplane news. But several of their plans have been lost over the years.

I found a reference for this plan in American Aircraft Modeler magazine June 1974. The plans were in this old, now gone magazine.

Jim

Posted by Giuseppe Ghisleri on 12/03/2015 18:51:19:

A friend of mine who happens to be editor of the Italian modelling magazine " Modellismo " asked me to redraw plans for NOVI ARROW used by SouthAfrican modeller John Brink to compete at F3A WC held in Gorizia in 1973.

I did it and the plan will be published in a future issue of the magazine.

I have the attached picture I shot in Gorizia and are looking around for more.

Does anyone know John e-mail ?

Thanks.

P.S.

Still waiting for Capricorn International plans.thinking

Edited By Giuseppe Ghisleri on 12/03/2015 18:53:42

Edited By Jim Purcha on 31/12/2015 15:16:05

scan0003.jpgMagnum 80. Designed by Dick Sarpolus in 1978 when the AMA allowed .80 size for twin engine models. Bought the plans then and then lost them in a house move. bought them again about 10 years ago but abandoned the model when I changed from glow to electric. Dragged it out of the loft, sawed off the engine mounts and glued a bit on for the electrics, 2 x Emax 2832/05, 2 x 6S 3200, 2 x 60Amp ESC. Haven't weighed it yet, too wet to assemble it again.dsc_0069.jpg

In a world increasingly ( sadly) dominated by " Automatons" this is excellent reading .

G. Ghisleri appears to be a wealth of information too, and reminds me of somewhat happier times .though I have no personal experience of competition - then.

Stating the obvious, rather envious of Flyers who enjoy a more Model friendly Climate ...........................

Please keep them coming Gents.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by terry westrop on 19/01/2016 21:18:09:

Looks nice, paint I presume? Loads of air ducts; what motor/lipo/prop may I ask? No retracts....? Where did you acquire that canopy?

Two packs paint plus adhesive pin striping.

Canopy is carved from foam and glass covered.

Motor is Lipoli from Der Schweighofer, prop 13x8 APC, battery 6 cells 5200 mAh, electric retracts, 3,7 kg ready to fly.