Classic Aerobatic Model Photo Thread

Martyn K

Advert

I have not built an Apogee however I would guess that the original would have used a K&B Torpedo 45. I have found this pic of what I think is Brett's model and the motor does indeed look like a K&B 45....... However the prop is an 11x7 3/4 which I think would have been a bit too big for a .45...... Did K&B make a .60 back then?apogee tom brett rcu member kingaltair 03.jpg

According to the GBRCAA

(Photos not working though)

Joint Winner and World Champion·- Tom Brett, U.S.A. Engine, K&B 45; Prop, Rev-Up 11 x 6; Model, Original "Perigee"; Span, 60 7/8"; Length, 50"; Weight, 84 ounces; Wing Area, 570 sq. in.; Wing Thickness, 15%; Radio, Orbit Superhet 10 Channel. Helen Brett cleans up model after its winning flight.

Should be an interesting build

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 02/06/2016 07:48:07

• 2 months later...

I decided to build the Perigee and it is now very near the covering stage. I found the build to be surprisingly difficult because the construction techniques are rather alien to me so the wing was built conventionally, mainly because I could not make out the 3/32 spar arrangement from the poor drawings. I have used a NACA 2 R 12 section modified to 14% which is as close as I could get to the original semi symmetrical one.

Yes, I know that it did not have retracts but I could not resist fitting them. These along with the motor mount were a tight squeeze.

It is pictured with the West 36 but provision has been made to fit an OS 52FS as an alternative. A YS 53 would also fit but this would be a bit OTT. I would expect the West to be OK if it is happy with a 11x6 prop.

The weight is going to be way above the original 84oz because of all the beefing up.

Some pics. in its raw state:

perigee 001.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The Perigee is now complete and awaiting its maiden. No particular attempt has been made to reproduce the original scheme since I don`t really know what it was like.

Pleased that, despite the retracts and rather chunky fus. the weight is only 87oz, just 3oz above Bretts. Probably due to the lack of Bonner Duramites, reeds and relays.

perigee 006.jpg

perigee 007.jpg

perigee 008.jpg

perigee 009.jpg

Despite the wind blowing from a no fly zone at my field I took it up today, if only to check out the motor. I checked the incidence on a newly acquired meter and it looked like the wing was at minus 0.5 deg. but this was very dependent on the elevator trim setting. After much fiddling with the Taranis low throttle setting to get it correct I ran out of excuses and threw caution to the (strong) wind. No need to have worried, it flies with only minor trim changes. It flies with very much of the characteristics of a model of that vintage, the large amount of dihedral and the semi symmetrical wing section making themselves quite evident. It will probably need some aileron differential and various other tweaks no doubt but it is perfectly flyable.

I need not have worried about the power since this is adequate, the motor now being very quiet on an 11x6 prop. That exhaust pipe position makes it a good muck spreader.

• 4 weeks later...

another classic that unfortunately recently came to grief.

Kwik Fly mk 2.

until recently they were available here in Dubai as an ARTF.

it was powered by a YS110 with a 15x10 prop and was the best flying aircraft I have ever owned. It would take off and do a half loop and go down the runway inverted about 10 ft of the ground then go vertical. it flew slow with the course pitch prop and would do every maneuver in the book at a low speed. It gave me the most confidence to fly and try new maneuver's than any other plane, until radio failure caused it to crash.

Darryl

p1010286 (copy).jpg

Thanks Charles.

The model has now had 8 or 9 flights and the only adjustments so far are some differential and a little weight in the left tip. It will actually do point and slow rolls quite well considering that it was never designed to do so.

It certainly needs rather more fin/rudder area which I intend to add if I can remove the hinges without too much trouble because stall turns are very nearly impossible and it is a little unstable in turns.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Just come across this group and blown away by some of the things on here.

Recently re-discovered my love for this type of building and flying, so I wondered, can I play too.

Tried to upload a pic of my recently built Mach 8, from Outerzone drawings, but although I thought I had managed to set up an album, it seems I still havw work to do...

Tim