Waterplane flying in Warwickshire.

Does anyone know any suitable sites for floatplanes/flying boats in South Warwickshire? I live just by J12 of the M40 (Gaydon) and would like to have a go at putting floats on one of my models but it seems a bit futile if there is nowhere to fly it. Of course, based on last summer I could just wait for my normal flying field to flood but it would be nice to find somewhere that has a more permanent stretch of water.

Thanks,

Jim

Advert

Hi Jim,

funny you should bring this up, as a precursor to having the loft insulation topped up I had to have a clearout up there and dragged down three sets of floats. These were last used at Stoke and Cannock Chase in the 80s when there were a few floatplane meetings. I'm sure my Acrowot still has the mounting points even after a couple of rebuilds so if anything is available I'm game for another go.

Bob

Hi Bob.

Stoke in the 80's. Would that be an event at Trentham Gardens called the "Aqua Nats"? This is an event that only exists in my memory, probably from earlier than the 80's and may even be from my imagination. I've not spoken, more recently, to anyone who has ever heard of it. Would be good to learn that they did actually happen

Jim, the BWA have the use of a lake next to Billing Aquadrome near Northampton on the 1st Sunday of the month and also host 3 meetings a year at Colwick Lake in Nottingham. Both of these will probably mean s bit of a drive for you but definitely worth the trip, especially the Colwick events. More details at the BWA website **LINK**

Wow, with my interest piqued, I've been asking our friend google, and actually found reference to two events I remember from my teenage years.
Here's a paste from another forum embarrassed they are sadly talking about the passing away of the great Jim Davis:-

I only met him the once, back in IIRC 1973/4 at the 'Mini-Nats' held at Hixon Airfeild when he'd just flown his Spit across the channel, 2/7 scale with a, (again IIRC), 110cc lawnmower engine in it, I say it but he built two of them, a monster of a model. Mick Charles flew his world duration record model the same year too.
He was also at the 'Aqua-Nats' held at Trentham Gardens around the same time - both organised by Denis Martin but I think JD helped a lot with both shows. He flew his S6B formation team from the lake there Dave Bishop was I think the commentator for all these events.
Those were the days eh
Jim I have to apologise, this isn't helping find somewhere to fly off water is it?

Trentham was a last gasp attempt by the LMA after the Westport event ran by Denis Martin was liquidated. Trentham was found not to be really suitable because of large mature trees around the lake.

Also the lack of particiation by the club flyer who was not a LMA member, led to a total lack of interest among the public.

Note, I am not knocking the LMA.