Tail Plane Mounting

Tangental

Hello chaps/chappesses, I'm refurbing my old IC stock and converting to leccy. I've actually had to scrap a few(most) as when stripping back the covering I noticed the wood beneath is thick with mould, but only where Pritt Stick was used to stick the plan copy to the balsa/ply. That's another issue but probably worth mentioning for anyone who uses this build method.

My actual topic for discussion is, that on one model having cut away a mouldy old tail plane and fin I've rebuilt the very rear of the fuselage where they mount. It's a very slender fuselage with very little to mount to. I remember when building this one the trouble I had gaining a perfectly perpendicular tail plane. I'm toying with a 1/16" ply mounting plate recessed either into the fuselage or the tail plane and can't make up my mind which? Or is there anything to be gained?

Tangey

Advert

Hi Bill, Tangental is my nickname, it refers to my inane ability to go off at a tangent no matter the topic of conversation. I think it's called 'exploring all the issues' or 'thinking out of the box' these dayswink 2

Pritt Stick is a trade name for a glue stick normally used for sticking pieces of paper together.

All the best

Tangey

I fit 1/8" sheet between the sides as a tailplane platform. Works well. Mind you, very slim fuselages are always a bit weak in that area.

I use 3M Spray Mount to stick the bit of plan to the wood. Spray it on, leave for a few moments and you can peel the plan off the wood. Stick it down at once and it is bonded much more firmly.

Expensive but better than Pritt Stick