Advert

Also are you using the built in Bec circuit?? if you are disconnect the bec and hook up a seperate power supply to the receiver and try again, you can dissconnect the bec by pulling out the red lead from the plug that runs from your esc to the receiver.

Sorry if it sounds like im teaching you to suck eggs!!! just not sure of your experiance.wink

Edited By PMIKEY on 22/02/2013 21:39:22

A 5S battery using an standard internal BEC is a bit much too!

Unless the internal BEC is a switching BEC then at most you can use a 4S pack (but only with 2-3 servos).

The alternative is an external switching BEC or (depending the size of the aircraft) a seperate Rx Pack. Especially as Sebart are expensive airframes, you want to make sure that your Rx power supply is beefy and not going to fail...

Si.

yes the esc beeps 5 times

cheers PM i'll try that

the 1100kv recomends a battery range of 3 to 6s which i'm using a 5s 20c 5000mAh

I bought all the gear and frame 2nd hand from my LMS, and the owner knows the guy whos model it was and he says it ran sweet as a nut with a 5s when he had it, nothing has been changed other than i am using my batteries, which the polarities are the correct way round.

I did have it flying a few weeks ago with a 3s, it was fine, just lacked a bit of oomph

Edited By Dylan Reynolds on 22/02/2013 23:33:50

It seems to me, after reading Dylan’s narrative, that his ESC starts to get hot as soon as he connects the battery and before anything is actually operated. This would definitely seem to indicate that an overly amount of current is flowing somewhere where it shouldn't. I’d personally consider it unlikely to be the BEC, unless there is short circuit somewhere. Even if it’s the linear flavour, I’m not entirely sure it’s going to get that hot. Although the radio is powered up, there are no servos working, so I think we can assume the idle current will be around the 100 milliamp mark, and, indeed, probably a lot less. If we call the 5 cell pack voltage 20 volts, and the BEC 5 volts, there is a voltage difference of 15 volts across the regulator. 15V by 100 milliamps, or 0.1amp, equals 1.5 watts, hardly likely to be setting the woods on fire, I’d have thought anyway.

I’m inclined to think that overheating problems tend to occur when everything is working hard, at say about three quarters throttle perhaps.
I’m only guessing here, I still have to yet have a go at those power/heating tests that I intend to do on an ESC, but in Dylan’s case the ESC is cold; so in that respect it’s acting like a heat sink for the BEC anyway.

And the higher cell count/smaller prop syndrome is really only yet another case of Ohm’s law, too.

PB

OK, thanks for all thr replies guys, the problem has been eliminated, a new 60A esc is now installed, with a 12x6 eprop fitted on same motor, with a 3s battery I am getting 54.92A max draw and 9310 rpm.

I presume the problem lies within the esc itself as I have replaced it with exactly the same. Although both esc and motor rated for upto 6s, the draw was just too much for the motor.

Test flight number 2 coming up tomorrow, will let you all know how it goes

But like I said, thanks again.

Not a very happy chappie today, set her up at the strip, connected my watt meter, gradually started winding her up and all of a sudden, bang! bits and pieces everywhere, prop goes flying off in one direction, narrowly missing me, motor appears outside the cowl! needless to say a new cowl is required.

the reading at full chat prior to this was 44A so I know the setup is now correct, trouble is I dont think a rebuild is going to be viable, I do it myself its going to be too heavy, I buy the parts its going to be too expensive.

Looking at it closely, it looks like there may have been a fracture in the ply on the mounting box, its the only clean break visible,

Absolutely gutted, my most expensive airframe and this is the plane I have been working so hard for to get in the air.

Sorry to hear that Dylan, i would not give up though, have a chat with inwood models or steve webb models, spares are available they just take a little time to get ordered. I know that sebart even do a replacement motor mount / box.

The great thing about these airframes is that it is actually very easy to repair them to a good standard.

Best of luck.

Ooo poor you Dylan....not good at all.

Still it sounds like you managed to avoid any injuries so lets be thankful for that. I'm sure it could be rebuilt.....can you find all the bits from the firewall? If you can piece them together & then fix them with cyano you can use this as a template to cut a new one......use good quality birch ply to prevent a re-occurance.....

As for it being too heavy I wouldn't worry too much about that.....these airframes are built very light & can certainly carry a few extra ounces.....Seems a shame to just bin the whole airframe after all....

Good luck.....