Buy a Spectrum radio for BNF or find another heli..

Lunch-time flyer

I'm about to start learing the art of Heli's and have been looking at the Blade Nano and mCPX BL. But this means buying a new transmitter as I only have Futaba - is it worth the new outlay or are there other heli's as good as the Blades... ?

I know I could use a pluging for the futaba but I've not found good reports of them and I'd rather put the cost towards the price of a radio...

Happy with the choice of a fairly difficult first model (don't want fixed pitch) and looking for smaller cheaper crashes! Flying outside ong grass.

Advert

I bought an FBL 100 helicopter, available on Ebay (HiSky) and also Hobby King (Turnigy). It's very similar to the MCPX, but comes with its own transmitter, at a comparable price.
The Tx is fairly basic - there's no rates, exponential etc, but the sticks are good, and I have to say that overall I've been very pleased with it. It does have an idle-up switch so loops and rolls are possible. I've seen videos of it doing inverted flight as well, but I'm not quite that proficient with it yet!

Neither of the above Heli's would be good in a light breeze, they are good indoors though. For outdoors the 130x or better still 300x (I have them both) after upgrading from a MSR and 120SR are great.

I fly both of mine on a Dx6i and ther fact they come out of thje box set up for Spektrum radios and the recommended settings are in the manual gives you a good starting point.

You'd need to weigh up the hassle and cost, but I started off with the old Piccolo (35mhz) and Pro Copter 3D 400 size which I had to set up myself, I've come on more in the last 3 months with the Blades than i did in 3 years with the others. If you have friends who are good at setting up helis though I'm sure one of the other brands can be made to work as well with your Futaba set, but I must admit the all in one Spektrum flybarless controller/Rxs are pretty good.

The downside of getting a Dx6i or similarmis having to buy all the BnF models to fill up the memory slots wink there's some great deals on the BnF Blade 450s at the moment, my credit card is itching.....................

The blade 450 3d (dial'd down) is ok in a light breeze, takes common 3s 2200's and is on offer almost anywhere at the mo - download the settings and away you go! I got mine a couple of weeks ago and love it - my flying has come on in bundles with this model!

Got the BNF version from KLM for £135 delivered - not too much different to the smaller blades.

P

Edited By Phill @ Elite Workwear UK on 13/03/2013 15:24:39

I've also got a 450 which I really enjoy flying, but I got the FBL100 because I wanted something I could fly in the road outside my house on a calm day! We've also got a meeting room at work which is just about big enough for tight circuits with a micro heli. I don't think flying a 450 there would go down too well!

Posted by Mark Agate on 13/03/2013 15:39:45:

I've also got a 450 which I really enjoy flying, but I got the FBL100 because I wanted something I could fly in the road outside my house on a calm day! We've also got a meeting room at work which is just about big enough for tight circuits with a micro heli. I don't think flying a 450 there would go down too well!

Nice 1 - I'm lucky that there is a "nature reserve" within 2 minutes of my front door where I can have a quick practice. I have tried in the stock room at work and it was a little tight. ? I did however manage to fly my little parkzone polecat in the shop

I'm after a slightly larger heli next - hk 550TT FLB is top of the list so far.

P

Ok it sounds like the Spectrum Radio and sticking with a blade is the way to go, and the trannie only is not a hideous cost - as I want to get a 450 size eventually would you stay on the DX6 or go a bit further for the DX7? I can't stretch to an 8 but a 7 would be dooable if it's worth it. The only reason I could think of was the telemetry of battery life... very useful I'd have thought... I don't want to have to buy another radio next year!

By the way Phil that blade 450 is rediculously cheap! I'm guessing it's still better to stay small just for repair costs, but thanks for the lead!

TBH I had not priced up spares before ordering.. Looking around tho they are not too bad.

Mark - that is cheap - HK do a very cheap kit too (TREX clone)

My dad has a DX6i - I find it a little basic compared to the DX8 (just feels a bit too plastic) but the DX7 looks much more like it. I have no idea what different functionality is between the 6 and 7 but the difference in cost may make it worth while.

Edited By Phill @ Elite Workwear UK on 13/03/2013 17:13:10

• 4 weeks later...