Is it FM?

Hi, can some one tell me what mode our 2.4 GHz transmiters use? is it FM, AM,double side band supressed carrier? nowhere on the internet can I find the information. I have even contacted Spektrum they were very polite but refered me to their Q&A page. A block diagram of the Tx would be a help. And Why, because I am giving a talk to an amateur radio club. Thanks Richard

Advert

To be a bit more helpful, try this to start you off:

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/spreadspectrum01.shtml

Actually, this article could be the whole of your talk - if you're an engineer it will make sense but, IMHO, it is not exactly simple for the non technical person

Edited By Masher on 25/03/2013 10:49:09

Some misinformation here. The packets aren't IP addressed and Futaba fasst IS dsss, the which it moves around the band instead of staying on fixed channels.

Best to avoid the technicalities unless you're 100% confident. The hams will have it down pat.

Maybe make the session interactive - ask about their video activities, compare our permissions with theirs, mention 27mhz and sun-spot cycles, the origins of UHF R/C and its demise (mention the ham Wood & Douglas kits that some UHF R/C gear was based on, several will have built W&D kits), talk about the use of carbon in moulded models and the challenges that presents, mention diversity on 2.4g and redundancy used in big models...  hope these ideas help

Cheers

Phil (G4PHL)

Edited By Phil Green on 25/03/2013 11:19:06

Thanks all for your replies. thanks Phil for your ideas Yes I remember the Wood and Douglas kists. I was going to talk about diversity I will add Redundancy to the list. Our LiPo Batteries servos etc. I have also made up a simple slide show. Then some helicopter flying followed by fun on the simulator. Richard G0ILN

John - D'oh - must proof read....

Ref the IP addressing, that is perhaps an over simplification, they are however source identified packetised data - otherwise when my Tx 'hopped' onto the same freq as another then the Rx's could get confused. this doesn't happen on a modern system due to this ID signature - hence why we need to bind the Rx and Tx.

Hi Phil, I have a feeling you have had articles in some of the magazines? Your website is amazing In the late fifties I was into CL combat RC was out of my league but we used to try free flight and had hours of fun with Ebenezers. Our engine of choice was Oliver Tiger for Combat flying and then I got interested in girls ,that was the end of aeromodelling ! Until retirement . Back to the present day and my talk. I had booked one of our older members to talk about the early days of RC but unfortunatly he has family commitments and can't make it. But I have more than enough info to fill the hour and a half slot. 73 Richard

>Posted by Olly P on 26/03/2013 11:22:03
>Ref the IP addressing, that is perhaps an over simplification

Its really more of an over complication Olly, we're down at the physical and datalink layers here.

>they are however source identified packetised data
Yes the guid identifies the packet source, but this is more akin to MAC addressing than IP.

> otherwise when my Tx 'hopped' onto the same freq as another
>then the Rx's could get confused.

That doesnt happen, no two sets are on the same freq for long enough. Remember this is wideband, huge deviation and with dsss several changes of frequency per bit. Any frequency clash would be fleeting, not even enough to resolve a single bit of data, because chipping code (of which the guid is a significant part) ensures that all systems spread differently - in fact uniquely. Couple this with the very low duty cycle and the result is that several systems can happily cohabit the same arbitrary channel. Similarly with FHSS such as Frsky, though dwelling significantly longer on a channel than does dsss, its still a wideband signal, widely deviating in frequency from that channel centre - any clash is therefore brief and on the next hop is gone anyway.

>This doesn't happen on a modern system due to this ID signature
> - hence why we need to bind the Rx and Tx.

Partly true, but its not just because the guid 'labels' the packet. Its also because the guid contributes to the whole unique spreading sequence.

Cheers

Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 26/03/2013 14:29:02

>Posted by Phil Green on 26/03/2013 14:11:43
>Similarly with FHSS such as Frsky, though dwelling significantly
>longer on a channel than does dsss, its still a wideband signal...

a typo, but I missed the edit window!

Masher, Olly, sorry - wasnt meant to be confrontational... my apologies

Phil

Phil - no problem - I tend to deal with slightly more 'advanced' systems than used in the RC world and tend to forget which stream I'm working in when explaining things!

Essentially then, the Tx switches frequency very quickly and the info it sends has a stamp on it to id the sending tx, these elemenets in combination along with the available spectrum width mean that Rx's will not pick up the wrong Tx.

How is that then?

Edited By Olly P on 26/03/2013 16:46:54

Posted by Phil Green on 26/03/2013 14:11:43:

Partly true, but its not just because the guid 'labels' the packet. Its also because the guid contributes to the whole unique spreading sequence.

This is true for DSM2/DSMX but not every RC system. Those that don't use DSSS modulation (e.g. FrSky/Hitec/Futaba S-FHSS/others) the ID is merely the address of the data packet to decide if the system will either use it (if what is expected) or chuck away. Those systems also define their hopping channel sequence to the receiver during binding.

In answer to the OP, 2.4GHz systems use all sorts of modulation techniques - most of the RF chipsets can switch between different ones. Here are two datasheet's of popular RF chipsets:

TI CC2500 - Supports 2FSK/GFSK/MSK/OOK modulation. Hitec/Futaba/Frsky/Graupner/Corona/Radiolink/+others use this chipset. Page 17 is the RF block diagram.

Cypress CYRF6936. Supports DSSS/GFSK modulation. Used by Spektrum/Multiplex/Walkera. First page has the RF block diagram.

Si.

Its a single Cypress chip and it doesnt actually transmit on two frequencies simultaneously, the chip has only one synthesiser and is only capable of generating one freq at a time. So it sends a frame on one channel then the same frame again on the second channel. Of course this all happens very quickly so appears to be simultaneous.

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil, just to say my talk to the radio c lub went off without a hitch. Best lecture they had ever had! So obviously I was very pleased with the result. And a lot of it due to this thread. Some of the professional blogs on line were way off the mark but reading your comments and a few others and the links I was able to get my head round all the concepts. Many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread have learnt a lot. Many thanks Best 73 Richard. G0ILN