Ian - Phil's right; I think all of us are very critical of our own work - you always think the other guy's model is so much better! It's part and parcel of our nature as modellers! smile

Well not nearly as much progress this weekend as I was hoping for - most of Saturday was spent trying to get the control surfaces painted. I had a major set back when my ailerons stuck themselves down to the newspaper I was spraying them on! Disaster! I ending having to partially rub them back and start all over again on that side. I then hit on the idea of putting them on clingfilm - nothing sticks to clingfilm right? Wrong! Spray paint stickes to it brilliantly! Disaster again! And rubbing back cling film is not as easy as newspaper! Had I the time I think I would have just started making the ailerons again, but I don't have time so I've just had to rub them back as best I can sad. They are "OK" now - just. But I'm not really happy with them and if she flies well I might make some new ones.

Today was mainly lost to the father's day trip out - but I must admit I did enjoy it of course. Anyway, I got a bit done early evening and here is the current progress....

The cockpit hatch is finished - hurrah, well at least one part is! Here it is posed on the gas meter cupboard - not the best setting maybe, but it has the virtue of being handy for the shed,...

tucano 84.jpg

tucano 85.jpg

Of course I couldn't resist it - does it fit? Well let's try,...

tucano 86.jpg

tucano 87.jpg

Just a whisker high at the back - but nothing a brush with the sandpaper on the fuselage side won't sort out.

As there was still plenty of light I thought I'd have another go at photographing the whole model in daylight.

tucano 88.jpg

tucano 89.jpg

tucano 90.jpg

tucano 91.jpg

Not too bad. Once that rear part of the cockpit hatch seating is trimmed a bit should be fine.

So, what remains to be done?

1. The control surfaces are finally ready, I need to hinge and fit them.
  2. The snake inners need to be run in and the rudder and elevator connected up.
  3. Put on the decals.
  4. Fix the receiver down - it's lose at the moment.
  5. Fit the prop and spinner - do a power test.
  6. Check the CoG. Its slightly tail heavy at the moment - but I still need to fit two 8M washers, an 8M prop nut and a spinner - so that should brings things fairly close to spot on I think.
  7. Fly it!

Mmmm, looks like a busy couple of evening ahead!

BEB

Looking very good BEB. My re-engineering messed up the nose on mine a bit, not too bad but to avoid being disgraced by comparison (!), I'll do a bit of cosmetic work on it this week. Being away all of last week has squeezed things a bit. I want to get a couple more flights in as well before the weekend. The "Seacano" is definitely more competent than I am, I need to improve.

Well - a long session, but got lots done!

All the control surfaces are now hinged and in place - Robarts point hinges all round. I had to use them on the rudder because I'd made my fin post out of hardwood - I'd have a hard job making a slit in that for CA hinges. So I decided to use them everywhere. I actually quite like them as they are very reliable in my experience.

The snakes are run, cut to length and the studs for the clevises installed - but they are not connected! Why? Because I forgot that Sullivan don't include the locking nuts in the pack - what's that about? Seems barking to me. Anyway - I'll order some tonight - Modelfixings will probably have them and they are usually very fast - I hope they live up to their past record!

I've sorted the canopy seating - much better now.

Finally, I've started applying the decals - they are a pleasure to use so far - well done Tim!

More tomorrow!

BEB

PS Sorry, no time for any pics - will try to take some tomorrow.

Well we're getting there! Nearly finished. All the decals are on now - too late for any photos outside, and my very, very, basic camera doesn't do inside photographs very well - OK maybe its me that doesn't do inside photographs very well - but here's a few shots showing the current status,..

tucano 92.jpg

The biscuit tins make a handy podium!

tucano 93.jpg

As you can see rudder elavator and ailerons are fitted now - but while the snakes are all run and ready they can't be connected up until my 2-56 nuts arrive from Modelfixings. Grrrr!

tucano 94.jpg

I have to say that the decals were an absolute pleasure to use. Accurate in shape, size and colour and very easy to apply. Full marks to ModelMarkings - I'll certainly use you again Tim, some of the best decals I've ever used and a good price.

tucano 95.jpg

Head on shot - I really must tidy up soon!

tucano 96.jpg

Close up of the "business end". I can't make my mind up between the black spinner fitted here and a white spinner I have on the shelf. Mmmm? Any thoughts?

What about the final weight? Well all up - with a 4000mAh battery under the bonnet - she now tips the scales at 3.17lb - that's just under 3lb 3oz - not bad, quite happy with that.

OK, once the nuts arrive I can connect up the rudder and elevator and set the throws - what throws are folks using - the recommended ones, or something different? Then I will glue in the fuselage plate of the magnetic canopy catch, check the CoG and we're there. The only question is do I flash over with a coat of clear laquer - the original is very shiney!

BEB

You're setting a standard there BEB, it does look very good indeed. As far as the spinner colour is concerned, my personal choice would be to stick with the black. It's attractively menacing and the yellow flashes already give a vivid contrast so I'm not sure that the white would add anything. However, some are bound to think otherwise and I don't claim to be an expert in colour choices, so my wife tells me when it comes to painting the house.

Impressive! I really like seeing these experts share their builds, it gives me a little extra motivation to try and build mine that little bit better.

BEB i've a question about your covering method if I may. How opaque is it? I'm asking because now my Jemima is off the building board I'm thinking about cracking on with my next project, a refurb of an old Galaxy Sorceror. The old covering has left a LOT of red pigment behind on the wood, would the glass cloth and halfords spary method cover that up, especially if I used black?

Thanks

Eifion

Kind words BEB!!! and all credit to a fantasist build.

Family priorities unfortunately clash with Greenacres so will be disappointed not to be there, hopefully there will be lots of pictures of all the Tucanos in all there glory.

My super lightweight Tucano no 2 is still in build, it will be finished and I will continue to post on the forum as the build progresses, I wil certainly be interested in the finished result, as there will hopefully be a significant weight and cost saving using the composite construction techniques.

There should be a colourful display of Tucano variants and an analysis of those sets produced shows that I have produced Markings for 10 different variants!!, not totted up how many sets, but a lot!! although I suspect not all will be at Greenacres as there still seems to be a significant WIP build effort going on.

Good luck.

Tim

Hopefully someone will be at Greenacres camera in hand and photograph all the Tucano action

Thanks all for the kind words chaps - I'm worried about bringing it now - as in the flesh it might not live up to your expectations!

Eifion, the completed finish is totally opaque. Taking a quick look at your pictures to remind my self of what your up against I'd suggest that glass and Poly-C might be about your best option. Rub it down really well - baby's you-know-what sort of smooth so you are really certain there is no film left just the pigment. I'd then seal that in so it can't react with anything else you do - a coat of sanding sealer would do the job nicely. This is also a good idea because some folks have reported that Poly-C can warp wings - but I think this mainly happens if you don't seal them. Poly-C is water based and the thing you're covering is going to get very wet!

Once its sealed apply the glass and Poly-C. I found one coat of sanding sealer was fine and I didn't rub the sanding sealer down. I think that was a good move as firstly it leaves the seal in tact, second it raises the grain a little and gives you a surface that the cloth finds slighly "grippy" - that makes application easier I think.

Then two coats of primer and I'm confident you'll be able to paint it any colour you want - even white!

Good luck with it and remember to keep us up to date with how you get on.

BEB

Posted by Slickriff on 19/06/2013 08:03:19:

Looks very impressive BEB. We guessed that was the reason you weren't at the Cherry Orchard. Hopefully at the field tonight, maybe if your bits arrive we will see you for a maiden.

Arrgggg! Knickers! I'll not make any excuses Ant - the plain unvarnished truth is I completely forgot! I was so wrapped up in getting this finished the club committee meeting just totally slipped my mind until now!!! Oh dear - a public apology seems to the only remedy! I'll have to email Col to apologise as well embarrassed.

Sugar!

BEB

Woo hoo! My nuts arrived today - good old Modelfixings! My son's birthday today so not had much time, but both the rudder and the elevator are now fully connected and wiggle as they should!

Also the receiver is fixed down and all the wiring routed neatly.

So reviewing our list from a couple of days ago we have:

• The control surfaces are finally ready, I need to hinge and fit them.
  • The snake inners need to be run in and the rudder and elevator connected up.
  • Put on the decals.
  • Fix the receiver down - it's lose at the moment.
  • Fit the prop and spinner - do a power test.
  • Check the CoG.
  • Fly it!

So just the power test and the CoG to do. Problem is going to be getting an opportunity to maiden it!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 19/06/2013 23:04:21

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 03/06/2013 20:34:38:

3lb 3oz, BEB, but with you being a dyed-in-the-wool IC man, I'm sure you'll not start worrying until it tops 5lb.....wink 2teeth 2

Pete

Well as its come in at 3lb 2.7oz - Pete wins the "guess the final weight of the Tuc" competition. Your prize is the usual Pete! wink 2

Just done a full chat power test and we have a fraction over 400W, so all seems dandy there and bodes well for performance - when I eventually fly it!

BEB