Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/06/2013 18:49:42:
Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 03/06/2013 20:34:38:

3lb 3oz, BEB, but with you being a dyed-in-the-wool IC man, I'm sure you'll not start worrying until it tops 5lb.....wink 2teeth 2

Pete

Well as its come in at 3lb 2.7oz - Pete wins the "guess the final weight of the Tuc" competition. Your prize is the usual Pete! wink 2

Wow, I'm a winner!teeth 2 Remind me what the prize was, BEB - an all-expenses paid World Tour or the virtual beer?

Petewink 2

Now now! Behave!

OK all done. The CoG is spot on the money - with no additional lead smile

A few finishing touches - tarting up the prop, adding the wing walk panels etc. And her she is; in a last few photos for posterity before the maiden! (After which she might not look quite the same! smile o)

tucano 99.jpg

tucano 98.jpg

tucano 97.jpg

See you at Greenacres!

BEB

I hadn't thought to re-weigh mine since I altered the engine mounting and fitted an undercarriage. I've just done it and find that it is now 2lbs 12 ozs without battery and 3lbs 5.5 ozs with a 3S 3000 mah LiPo. That gives me 200.60 watts/lb on full bat. I wondered why it behaves like a Tasmanian Devil If I dare to open the throttle wide! I thought my Top Gun Edge 540 with an OS FX91 was hairy, but this is ridiculous. At my advanced stage of senile decrepitude, the consequences may be terminal. You'd better look the other way.

Yep thats looking like the mutts wotsits BEB C

olin just read your post there and did the sums for mine, 181+ W/lb can't say I noticed it going like stink but 2 things occur to me A) the throttles prob not been above 3/4 and B) the 3 blade prop may not give it as much speed as a 2 blader for the same W/lb due I suspect to the lower pitch possibly. we'll have to compare notes at the weekend

Phil

Edited By Phil Winks on 20/06/2013 22:25:53

Well it did get maidened and as a closing shot I thought this would finish things off nicely - the Tucano on its second flight, at Greenacres, courtesy of WolstonFlyer,...

tucano-in-flight.jpg

So that's it. Thank you to everyone who "looked in" and a special thanks to those who offered encouragement and advice - all very welcome. Roll on next year's mass build - see you there smile

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 24/06/2013 12:52:09

• 1 month later...

Well I am sad to report that the Tuc is no more! It had a short but exciting and illustruous career. I went flying late on this afternoon - took the Tuc as it was rather windy and the Tuc is good in the wind (and no undercart to break if it all does go horribly wrong wink 2 

Had a flight with her. All was basically OK, she felt a bit "nervous", sort of twitchy - but that was probably just the wind, it was pretty gusty up there.

Had a coffee, bit of a chat, I discussed with my clubmate who was there upping the expo to see if that would calm things down. In the event I found things already set at 40% on ailerons and 50% on elevator so decided that was enough!

Set her up for another flight, did a pre-flight check on the controls - all seemed well. My clubmate carried her out for hand launch - again one final control check, all well, so we went for launch.

Now normally she goes away like a scalded cat. But this time she headed straight for the deck! I pulled hard and just pulled her out. Up we went, I relaxed my pull, and down we went, Oh dear. Pull, up we went. Relax, down we went! I simply couldn't establish a level flight path! It wasn't just that she was pulling down - the amount of "down" seemed to vary and I just couldn't find a point where she would fly level at all!

My very first thought was "something's moved - like the battery - the CoG is miles out". But quite soon I realised it wasn't that. I know the feel of an unstable aeroplane, this wasn't unstable it was just that the elevator wasn't doing what I was doing on the stick!

I desperately climbed for height thinking at least that would give me some thinking time. But as I shot up in a series of porpoise-like wobbles I realised I had a seriously out of control aeroplane. The ailerons seemed OK, I cut the power to see if she would glide. The power dropped off fine - but the glide was as wild as the powered flight.

I had to turn her - or at least try - to get back towards the strip. Eventually I just ran out of air,...crack! She is no more.

In a brief post-mortum I've checked the obvious. All the contol runs seems to be fine - clevises attached and closed both ends. Battery was still firmly in its correct place - velcroed and strapped down. During all the shinegins all other aspects of the radio link seemed fine - except the elevator.

I'll check the elevator servo out tomorrow.

As I say she's had a good, if short, career. I'd flown her quite a bit and she was certainly no "hangar queen" - out in all weathers. And she made the front cover of the latest edition of the club mag - fame at last! Ah, well. What is it they say "Only the good die young". Onward and upward.

BEB