Orange Receivers

Taff

Hi All been looking at the orange receivers ....has anyone been flying with them for any length of time,would you say they are reliable,I like the price but not sure of the reliability issues, any thoughts.Would not like to jeopardize my lovely models for a cheapy RX but if they are OK could save a bit ...Whats the verdict..not a scrooge but like a bargain smile Taff

Advert

been using them for a couple of years now,on small elactrics up to 120 size models and not a single problem.(6 channel rx's that is)

heard of some ppl having problems with the 9 channel ones,i:e range issuses.

oh, and these are the spektrum ones not the fasst ones.

rob.

Hi Taff,

I have bought a few of these RX from HK and they are great value, the range is fantastic and up til now I've had no problems. But I only use them in my depron electric models and winter hacks that I'm not too fussed about.

If it's your prized possesion and you dont want to risk it put in a decent RX that you know you can trust.

But for a weekend flyer that your not worried about go for it yes

Are you talking about the DSM2 (Spek/JR compatible) receivers or the Futaba FASST ones Taff?  there has been a single report (worldwide) of a FASST receiver picking up the wrong transmitter, which as far as I'm aware remains unresolved but concensus is that they may not have implemented the full Futaba guid.  The chances of this happening to you are miniscule. 

The cheaper Orange DSM2 receivers have a single aerial ie no diversity so there are bound to be occasional missed frames, that is expected.  Lots of people in our club use Orange receivers and reliability wise both the DSM2 and the FASST receivers have been excellent.

>>I like the price but not sure of the reliability issues

What 'reliability issues' have you heard about Taff?  I keep a close eye on radio-related reports and I've not seen or heard of any, I'd be interested to know. 

Cheers

Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 30/04/2013 17:58:09

I have 6 genuine speckie RX's and 12 Orange RX's (both 1 and 2 aerial types) all installed in electric models and the only real problem I've had is with one of the genuine ones. Some of the wings fly virtually out of sight with no problems.

Edited By SkippyUK on 30/04/2013 19:16:08

Hi Taff, I bought one for the same reasons!! I fitted it to my Pulse 125, but I found that the sockets for the servo plugs were very slightly smaller (or perhaps the non Futaba servo plugs were bigger), and when I fitted my HXT servos the plugs (they do seem bigger than Futaba) were too squashed together - didnt like the look of it..std Futaba servos should be ok.

Another issue is that you cannot use the Futaba throttle cut fail safe. Aparently there is one built into the receiver but I did not try activating it. I have kept the receiver to try in a different model.

These are the servos that do not fit well:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2

Rich

Edited By Dickster on 01/05/2013 06:59:16

I have several orange and frsky FASST rx's, no problems, the failsafe is easy to set - set up tx to what you want f/s to do, press button.

I find them perfect for most of my models, but would be tempted to multi reciever any pride and joy, on any Rx!

Gurth - I'm on Futaba, and regards the multi-reciever thing above it is something regularly done by Large modellers for redundancy rather than reliability.

Given the size of my next 'big' project, while it won't be classed as a large model I am tempted to put in a redundant system. That is a decision for the future I think.....

Hi

I use Orange rx on Futaba FASST and Spektrum radios. Never had a problem. The savings made when compared to original rx are enormous. I would just mention that I also use FRSky Futaba FASSTcompatible rx from GS and these also have never let me down.

JC