RCME June 2013

Antiquated

Advert

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 01/05/2013 21:15:24:
Posted by ken anderson. on 01/05/2013 18:43:43:

..as regards the photo advertising the greenacre's do...say no more..... kulou .....

ken anderson ne..1 mag feedback dept.

I agree Ken, you'd have thought they would have used a photo that would attract folk to the event

Chris - cheeky Dept.

...................................................................................

yes-i thought the same chris......putting that photo in the mag will be a way to keep the numbers down etc.......last year...i decided to sleep with one eye open........just in case....

ken anderson ne..1 ...security at do's dept....

Hi All. Astute readers will remember that I engaged in a sad bout of winging last month about the quality of photos in the mag being too good.

Well here we go again. The Crescent Tornado review. Here we have a KIT that we presume was built.

Lee Smalley tells us about the build. Great. But where are the pictures of the build ? We have many nice flying pics of a nice plane - "ready to fly" in fact. But no build photos. Why ? Could it be because Lee had to meet up with a pro photographer at the field ? But alas did not have this facility at home ?

I THINK that most of us readers would be quite happy with a few grainy shots from Lee's phone that showed the BUILD , the WOOD, The WOOD in the BOX ?

Come on guys please don't slick trick your mag so high that all we have are tasty full colour high density shots of finished aircraft. I want to see hands, tools, glue, mess - you know REAL STUFF that we DO in this hobby ! Black and White would have been fine - because we would have the FANTASTIC flying shots too. We used to have just the build in grainy B&W now we have gone all the way to the other extreme !

Or am I on my own ...... again. Flanker

Edited By Flanker . on 15/05/2013 10:01:36

Well you are correct flanker a proper cameraman takes the flying shot's and i am more than happy to take some of the build, photos but i am not sure what the quality would be like, you would have to convince the ed to decide if this is what he would like me to do, i would have to invest in some better lighting!!

That was my point Lee. I feel that as we have such super flying shots there is no problem with less quality for the others - a mix. For ME I would prefer some low grade photos if they TOLD the STORY.

Due to quality worries we got none and the review was poorer for it - not to knock YOUR work me old mate, there was nowt wrong with the copy ! Prod ED boy....

F

I'm with Flanker on this one, as one who enjoys building models rather than buying boxes.

It should also be compulsory for every plan build article, or review, to include at least one photo of the radio installation. I remember from other threads that the Ed prefers not to show these, but I believe the heart of a model, and its personality, comes from the installation.

I love to see what brand and type of servos are used, how the RX is mounted, how the pushrods/cables/loops are connected, how tidy (or otherwise) the radio bay is - this is where modellers can express themselves and others can learn from their efforts (good or bad). Pictures can speak a thousand words!

Whenever I read a build article or review, I first 'skim read' to find any text references to these items. I long since gave up looking for the installation photos, although to be fair there have been a few more of these recently than we have had over previous years.

Posted by Gary Murphy 1 on 20/05/2013 10:15:44:

My issue is faulty as well.The first 6 pages apx are repeated.The review on page 14 is missing and so is the corresponding rear entries.It is a printers error.Got mine from smiths and all are the same.what can i do, these mags are not cheap any more?

There must have been a problem with the print run generally last month. Mine was from Tescos with a similar issue.

Posted by Gary Murphy 1 on 20/05/2013 10:15:44:

My issue is faulty as well.The first 6 pages apx are repeated.The review on page 14 is missing and so is the corresponding rear entries.It is a printers error.Got mine from smiths and all are the same.what can i do, these mags are not cheap any more?

I'd take it back to Smiths. If they cannot find you a complete copy from another branch then you should get a refund.....

Pete