Swamp Rat builders

The magazine was not available in WH Smith's last week so I have yet to see the plan. However it is certainly one of the planes I intend to build soon, and I will build for electric.

I wonder if a much smaller electric motor & Lipo would suit, rather than the high powered version that Gary built. Could suit many more people with more modest power setup, for everyday flying. What do you think it would be like with 350 or 400 watts?

Frankly it was disappointing to hear that the electric version was not shown on the plan but only online! You can still get your 15 minutes of fame Gary if you get the Patriot published........

Hi Peter

I don't hold you responsible at all Peter it was down to the powers to be !! after saying that , all that build the model will have loads of fun Fly mine all the time so get building and have fun.

Maybe show some photos of all the models when they are built ic or electric , it will also be good to here what power plants people use and what batteries .

Gary

Of course I knew it was not Peter's fault but I wanted Gary to know that the rest of us ( well me at least! ) were disappointed!

Peter, what do you think about a low wing version with just the wing lowered a bit and an open cockpit?

I now have the magazine and it shows the weight to be about 3.5 pounds, so what does Gary think about 350 or 400 watt power? The rule of thumb 100 watts per pound for aerobatic models seems to work OK . I put 300 watts on a 2 pound model ( 150 watts per pound ) and it was ballistic and too much for even a Mini Frantic so I reckon 100 watts per pound is fine for 'normal' flying. ( I consider ' normal' to be smooth aerobatics and moderate vertical performance but I realise other people may want more dramatic performance )

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

The new version of the RATATAT . I have squeezed the front in to make it more like a drag racer this is such a fun plane to fly and quick to build i had to make another. (Because i demolished the other onecrying) The centre wing panel is a little higher as well so it looks more like a cockpit !

ver2 ratatat 297.jpg

ver2 ratatat 298.jpg

ver2 ratatat 300.jpg

Madden for this one will be in the morning wink

Edited By Gary Vinten 1 on 13/07/2013 20:23:51

Posted by kc on 03/07/2013 11:12:07:

Of course I knew it was not Peter's fault but I wanted Gary to know that the rest of us ( well me at least! ) were disappointed!

Peter, what do you think about a low wing version with just the wing lowered a bit and an open cockpit?

I now have the magazine and it shows the weight to be about 3.5 pounds, so what does Gary think about 350 or 400 watt power? The rule of thumb 100 watts per pound for aerobatic models seems to work OK . I put 300 watts on a 2 pound model ( 150 watts per pound ) and it was ballistic and too much for even a Mini Frantic so I reckon 100 watts per pound is fine for 'normal' flying. ( I consider ' normal' to be smooth aerobatics and moderate vertical performance but I realise other people may want more dramatic performance )

i was thinking doing large ailerons ,elevator and rudder like fun fly style. it will remind me the ripmax DARE-U. i was thinking the same design, but the wing must be a bit thicker as the DARE-U type

Hi Daniel

Go for it 300/400w is fine and will fly the swamprat ,( i like a little more) I fly most of the time on 3/4 to 1/2 throttle

you could use a smaller lipo that would make it lighter (it all helps) You may even get down to 3s but you would be at full thottle most of the time ( its what  floats your boat )nerd

Good luck with the mods lets see some photos

Gary

Edited By Gary Vinten 1 on 20/07/2013 10:15:11

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Am about to build a IC version ofThe Rat and was wondering if anyone had used as Peter suggested an OS 25 glow in their version. I have available an OS.35 and was wondering if possibly that would be too much power (can one have too much))??

Any help would be useful.

Regards all
Richard

Surprisingly, the weight & dimensions of the OS 35FP and also the older Max35 are very similar to the 25FSR. ( I expected the 35's to be much heavier and bigger! ) Height is 6mm more though which could make a difference in appearance on the Swamp Rat.
My advice is to go for it if you know the OS35 is working well. If it's a poor performer ( as some FP's are ) then reconsider.

A question for Peter.
The plan shows the elevators not tapered in thickness, is this correct? Also shows rounded edges to elevator TE. Is this correct? ( some aerobatic pilots reckon squared off edges to elevators etc give crisper control)

Question to Gary. Did you do the elevators as above?

Peter,was not trying to be smart when I asked if I could use a OS 35 Max or FP for the Swap Rat ,just wish I could get my hands on an OS 25FSR. Have been very pleased with the Harlequin I built over a year ago, hence am looking forward to building the IC version of The Rat! Finally, do you have any build pictures on the Rat build or can I basically use the general idea as per Harequin?

Regards

Richard

There must be plenty of OS 25FSR around somewhere - ask clubmates who have gone electric if they have a good one for sale.
Otherwise a SC25 or 32 would make a fair substitute at around 48 pounds. But my personal choice would be an Enya 25SSBB or a 30SS plain bearing for around 70 pounds from Steve Webb the importers. I reckon the plain bearing will go on for ever like mine has- no ball race to rust!

I am not sure if Peter was replying to me or to the person who wanted to put bigger ailerons etc!
But actually I was asking if the printed plan in the magazine was correct in showing untapered elevators with rounded edge. I think that both Peter & Gary built from a copy of the plan with handwritten captions whilst we have a printed one. I just wanted to check if the printed plan is the same as original....

I think it's important to keep all the aerodynamic bits just like the designer intended so our models fly just like the originals. Maybe we change the motor but we should keep the rest original---otherwise it may not fly as well as it should.