New site appearance

Posted by PaulH on 27/07/2013 14:17:56:

I’ve simply given up trying to read the site on my iPad during a coffee break; I’d need a magnifying glass to find the login symbol, which is one of the last things to load and then the fingers of a baby to actually activate it.

On my Android tablet, if I touch an area where the tablet cannot recognise which part I am touching, a small window enlarges that part of the page so I don't need baby sized fingers to operate it. smiley

Advert

Posted by Martin Phillips on 27/07/2013 14:28:27:

On my Android tablet, if I touch an area where the tablet cannot recognise which part I am touching, a small window enlarges that part of the page so I don't need baby sized fingers to operate it. smiley

Currently one of the many small advantages of Google's system, Martin and one of the reasons I like my Galaxy smart phone. However the screen on the phone is a just a bit too small to make reading RCM&E on it comfortable for a gent of my years. Maybe Apple's new system update in September will catch up.cheeky

So I am complaining it no longer works on my older computer and others are complaining it's too small on their tablets......was it worth changing?

( in my world 'tablets' are something you take when ill or very old....)
But seriously if you are reading a lot on one of these tiny tablet screens think what it will do to your eyesight in time. Keep taking the tablets????

A lot of this is subjective but for me it works fine on an iPad other than for some reason i do not seem to be able to post pictures from my album.

Whilst I agree that the link areas on the small side, I find I don't need to use a screen gesture to magnify the screen to use them. (By the way I guess you know that a double tap on the screen will magnify the area around where you tapped?)

At the end of the day, key problems have been listened to and fixed and I can search, read and add posts as before so I am happy. Maybe I am too easy to please!

David - just a couple of suggestions - the ability to manipulate photos in the albums would be very handy - just rotation would be a good start as I currently have to upload from my phone to google drive, download to a pc, rotate and uploiad to the forum - I can upload from my phone, but the orientation will tend to be wrong!

And an insert photo button on Andrtoid browser would be handy - again cutting a sequence of 'selective device posting.' If this was possible a lot of my blogs would have more images, with less huge leaps between images - but having to use a different machine reduces the time I can spend doing th build, so photos get left out instread.

Olly

Back to the serious bit...... I still cannot post photos etc because none of the buttons appear on Opera, no 'box' for posting appears on Firefox and the writing overlaps the Login box which therefore wont work on IE. All these Opera & IE functions went wrong when the update occurred....they worked last month.
It's not that my computer has gone wrong , its Modelflying.

( David, note that I had to use someone else's computer otherwise I would not have been able to post the Foam Fing drawings )

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 29/07/2013 10:32:08:
Posted by Olly P on 29/07/2013 10:19:31:

I can upload from my phone, but the orientation will tend to be wrong!

Forgive my ignorance, Olly, but couldn't you just turn the phone on its side when you take the pic?

Pete

Hi Pete - tried that one!

Basically the phone rotates the image within the file when you turn the phone - the file is then always at 90 deg to the forum, no matter what I do to the phone!

BEB (And other mods)

Expecting all users to know the right way to post a photo is not really on.

When this was a smaller community I agree you could expect that, but we have grown, and most users expect it to work as other sites do.

As a web professional its not beyond the scope of the developers to add some validation to stop this from happening. So rather than putting the onus on users and you guys fixing it, put some pressure on the developers to sort the problem so it doesn't happen.

Andy

PS the post I was commenting on has disappered!!!

Edited By Andy Green on 29/07/2013 13:32:33

OK found out what happeded, the site didn't remember my preferences and showed me the first page, not the last. It let me relpy so I was logged in.

Ah well.

BEB my comments were for your last post on page 1. Just though you were still 'banging on about it' on page 14. Soz.

Andy

Maybe its me, but just recently there seems to be lots of old threads being resurected, and much of the content is not very relevent any more. On another forum, it shows how old the thread is, so that you can choose or not to have a look at it. It would be another "nice to have"

David, re the iPad, I am on v6.1. What I find is that I can find the album pic I want OK, but the instructions tell you to click 'Insert' to put the pic into your message - but there is only 'OK' and 'Cancel', and OK just closes the selection screen without adding the pic.

I'm sure I have done pics from the iPad in the past but its not a problem - I'll just use my PC!

Hello Colin,

Just tried it on my iPad and all is ok. Press the little camera icon, then you see your albums. Then select the required pic and press ok

My iPad is a mk 1 iPad and apple stopped software updates for iPad 1 at iOS 5.1.1 so i don't think its having the latest IOS that's the problem.

Perhaps try clearing your Internet history and cookies in settings .

​Craig

I dont mind this new layout one bit.navigation not a problem.If anything there should be more room in user reviews to type an experience with a model not just a few words... its ok all i need to do is ask somewhere and somebody will respond

havent uploaded anything yet ..

ipad seems to have its fair share of problems with this forum i noticed...Bang on Andy Green.good comment.

• 1 month later...

That took some digging and Chris Bott finally found it. If you go to the 'Subscribe Now' panel in the title banner, click on it, scroll down to the bottom of the page and it's the middle button 'Subscriber Extra'.

Totally inconvenient and we'll see if we can get it placed somewhere more suitable.....smile

Pete