New site appearance

Just a little 'heads up' folks. This site is about to have a refresh and a new appearance, soon, possibly at the end of the week.

Here's how it'll look:

newlook2.jpg

There are a few more tweaks so what's above isn't final but basic functions won't really change, the forum will be unchanged too so navigation shouldn't be a problem.

All MyTime's community sites are seeing this change and I've been keen to make sure that Modelflying wasn't the first so I'm assured that the bugs have been sorted. wink 2

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 09/07/2013 13:39:20

Advert

I'd guess this has something to do with a glitch an hour or so back where clicking on a forum thread logged me in to and subscribed me to the Popular Patchwork (with a similar appearance to "our" new site) and Hi-Fi News groups?

Although my interest in Hi Fi is marginal, to say the least, membership of the Patchwork quilt group will not do what's left of my "street cred" any good whatsoever!

Edited By Martin Harris on 09/07/2013 14:06:11

Posted by Martin Harris on 09/07/2013 13:43:32:

I'd guess this has something to do with a glitch an hour or so back where clicking on a forum thread logged me in to and subscribed me to the Popular Patchwork (with a similar appearance to "our" new site) and Hi-Fi News groups?

Although my interest in Hi Fi is marginal, to say the least, membership of the Patchwork quilt group will not do what's left of my "street cred" any good whatsoever!

Edited By Martin Harris on 09/07/2013 14:06:11

A model flyer? Street cred? smile

No, nothing at all to do with it Martin so they tell me. 

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 09/07/2013 14:13:36

I post quite a lot on the forums and I do quite a lot of it in works time (when nobody's watching !).

Is this an ideal opportunity to ask your web-designer techy blokes to remove the display of the 'time' of each post. Displaying the 'date' is OK, but the 'time' could be incriminating.

I've seen other places where they display the time if the post was withing the last 24 hours; but only the date if it is older than that. That seems quite sensible.

That way I could ask some of my colleagues to go and read my build-log without dropping myself in it

Just a suggestion.

Thanks.

Martyn

I think its truly wonderful how the computer fraternity keep themselves employed and bringing in the money by convincing the rest of us of the need to constantly up-date (I won't say "improve" ) their wares. Of course there are major improvements like broadband speed increases etc but it remains to be seen whether or not this site's changes are a genuine improvement or simply change for change's sake. Or should I say "change for the sake of a few thousand quid more in the kitty."

Whatever happened to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

Edited By IanR on 09/07/2013 15:35:21

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 09/07/2013 15:52:33:
Posted by Martyn K on 09/07/2013 14:33:57:

No flashing adverts How do the advertisers feel about that?

Martyn

Ad's haven't been added to the new template Martin.

Thanks David

Personally, I don't have a problem with adverts - it was the flashing that I (and others) found irritating. I understand that in this modern day and age, web sites have to pay for themselves - and (including the cost of maintaining them), they are not cheap. I do hope that the change does not have any long term detrimental effects that ultimately would affect all of us.

Apart from that, I like the layout - nice and clean - I tust it will be just as easy to navigate.

Martyn

Posted by IanR on 09/07/2013 15:34:27:

Whatever happened to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

I have heard this saying a lot, I personally do not like that saying, and not just for websites etc. Anything can be improved even if it is working as it is. So it could have something added to make it better or even something taken away. An example would be the Packard Merlin, the Rolls Royce Merlin had served British fighters well in earlier years but when Packard started building them they changed it, and engineers will tell you that the Packard ones were better. People should be out looking to make things better since there is always room for improvement.

CS

CSB you're absolutely right, there would never be any progress anywhere would there?

But I think the phrase really refers to us engineers who just cannot help ourselves and allways meddle, trying to add features to something that works perfectly, we tend to keep going, adding and adding until eventually the original concept is lost, or it really doesn't work properly at all. Of course that's the only way we know we've gone too far

CS, as I said, some changes, like Increased broadband speeds or Packard Merlin engines, are worthwhile improvements. But, in the same way that AOL has recently changed its appearance making it necessary to learn the new layout for absolutely no improvement in performance, other changes are completely useless. As I said, it remains to be seen how the new look modelflying site will perform. If it removes the glitches that Bob aludes to above then great.

As regards "if it ain't broke..." imagine that one of your beloved ic engines is running as sweet as can be. You'd be daft to start tinkering with it for tinkering's sake. No, leave well enough alone and get on with flying which is why you've got the engine in the first place. Of, course, if someone comes up with a more powerful, more fuel efficient engine...

The "if it ain't broke..." saying is aimed at daft beggars who might otherwise spoil a good thing. Let's hope our much-loved (by me, anyway) website isn't spoiled.

Ian (not a luddite, really)

Guys, the ads covering the text happens for one reason only - people insisting on inserting photos without probably reading the instructions! As I've said many times - where we see them we fix them - not by any magic super power given only to mods but by the simple exercise of editing the offending posts and reinserting the pictures correctly. Mods spend a lot of time doing this!

But obviously we can't be everywhere - it very dissapointing when we go into a thread and find that not only is it "mucked up" but its probably been like that for weeks! In all that time didn't one person - quick enough to complain here - think to just send one of us a PM and ask us to sort it out?

BEB

PS If it ain't broke it hasn't got enough features yet! Right on CSB (BEB the engineer!)

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 09/07/2013 18:35:13

It is not broken, it is poorly designed in some places. Pictures could be made to re-size when they are inserted and long strings of text (like long URL's ) can be dealt with properly. It would no doubt save the mods a lot of work, but I guess they are free where software fixes cost money!

Edited by me to remove the big long string of text that I experimented with.

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 09/07/2013 20:37:50

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 09/07/2013 20:38:51

"If it aint broke dont fix it" We had an American elect. eng. at one time who scoffed at our routine electric/electronic control panel maintainance .In the states similar panels had a "life span". At the end of its life it is replaced totally with a new upgraded control panel. Sorry slightly off thread. Cheers.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 09/07/2013 20:12:45:

BEB, this is the ONLY forum that I know of where you need special procedures to post anything more than basic text! If that doesn't define 'broke' I don't know what does.

It ain't broke - it has "features" that's all! And that is one of its little features.

Broke is when something doesn't operate the way it states it does; not merely when the way that's stated is just different!

BEB