New site appearance

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 09/07/2013 23:18:26:

It ain't broke - it has "features" that's all! And that is one of its little features.

Broke is when something doesn't operate the way it states it does; not merely when the way that's stated is just different!

BEB

I like that! Next time I have a design that doesn't fly properly or needs very special treatment I won't scrap it, I will just send the plans in and say that it has different features.

I have this Stits Junior plan, It has different "features" in that if you don't take extreme care it will crash on take off. I knew I could sell the plans if onyl I could find a good reason. Got one now!smiley

Advert

Posted by Olly P on 10/07/2013 08:50:41:

Hmm....and not related to the forum making me Chris Bott for a few minutes the other day either?

So they are insisting Olly, anyway.....I'm told an improved forum engine is on the way too, news when I have it.

Bob, I've found worse forums out there, they all seem to have some quirk or other.

I will wait to see the new site before I cast my vote. However, please don't go down the route of Outlook ( was Hotmail). It is far worse and harder to navigate round than Hotmail. If you need help - forget it.......progress!

P.S. will the new site have the facility to upload photos to a thread direct from my computer , without having to put it in my "photos file" first on the forum??

Posted by Olly P on 10/07/2013 08:50:41:

Hmm....and not related to the forum making me Chris Bott for a few minutes the other day either?

Very odd, becoming a mod briefly, I wasn't quite quick enough to do any random edits though...

All part of my master plan Olly, to get all of my work done by minions
(master plan is failing spectacularly by the way!)

More seriously, that's a bit of a worry isn't it? I wonder just how many more of me there are out there?

Maybe it's an opportunity for me to wreak havoc myself, and blame other people? enlighteneddevil

There's no need to be ashamed Martin, I've always greatly admired your needlework wink 2

Seriously, Mrs A belongs to a lacemaking group - think your model flying club has 'issues' from time to time? You aint seen nothing, this lot are professionals and woe betide if you mess up the tea making rota or table layout at their monthly meeting!

New forum software won't be part of this refresh by the way.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 10/07/2013 11:38:32

Posted by Peter Miller on 10/07/2013 07:58:52:
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 09/07/2013 23:18:26:

It ain't broke - it has "features" that's all! And that is one of its little features.

Broke is when something doesn't operate the way it states it does; not merely when the way that's stated is just different!

BEB

I like that! Next time I have a design that doesn't fly properly or needs very special treatment I won't scrap it, I will just send the plans in and say that it has different features.

I have this Stits Junior plan, It has different "features" in that if you don't take extreme care it will crash on take off. I knew I could sell the plans if onyl I could find a good reason. Got one now!smiley

Ah, but there's the difference. The site does "fly properly" - it flies exactly according to how it was designed to. Its just that some of the aspects of the design are not to our tastes. Hence - it isn't broken - ie operating outside spec - some of us just wish it operated to a different spec! wink 2

BEB

I promise that blip yesterday was completely unrelated to the new site layout, which will be arriving shortly.

Sometimes when we make layout changes there are a few users who see a mismash of the current and previous styles. If this happens to any of you, it's because your old stylesheet has been cached by your browser. If you clear your browser then it should all line up correctly.

This is just for info, as a few of the lovely and not at all awkward Patchwork ladies struggled with browser issues when we swapped the website layout recently.

I don't know what it is called, but some forums have a little window that appears with the first few lines of text, to get you interested, when the cursor hovers over a forum thread title. (In fact it appeared on this site a few years ago, briefly, then we were told it didn't happen!) Are we going to get that feature?

Just so all you guys hoping for wonderful things at the end of the week aren't too disappointed, it's only fair to point out that, as far as I know, this is just going to be a 'facelift' to bring all the related forums into line - it's not going to give us any more functionality, so we'll just have to carry on wishing.....smile

Best advice I can give is to follow the posting instructions and rules in the Forum Guides, which will work adequately enough for most users on most devices, and your posts shouldn't go too awry......

Pete

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 10/07/2013 16:43:21:

There is some handy information on resetting your browser cache here

**LINK**

In short, on the Windows operating system pressing Control+F5 should do the trick

Windows: ctrl + F5
Mac/Apple: Apple + R or command + R
Linux: F5

Please read and take note of the above, as I am hoping to switch to the new stylesheet this morning.

Please can I assure you that this change is to bring all the websites in line with the same layout, and make them a little more modern. It isn't about changing functionality at the moment. It is essentially cosmetic, and none of us are making any money out of the change.

I hope you will like it, or at least warm to it eventually!

Hi Ken

No it can't be related, but it does sound a bit worrying. Please could you send me a screenshot? Would you please press Ctrl Alt PrntScr, and then paste it into an email to [email protected]. I will try to find out what it is, I don't want to change anything if there is a separate problem.

When one of my Popular Patchwork ladies had a survey pop up last year, it was because she had installed a strange addon to her browser, either in error or via a malicious page. What browser are you using, was it IE?

Thanks

Katy