New site appearance

Advert

Posted by Martyn Johnston on 11/07/2013 11:28:40:

I used to have an option to go to 'My Postings' on the old site. Where's that gone ?

Edited By Martyn Johnston on 11/07/2013 11:28:52

I found it by clicking on the Forums "speach bubble" icon on menu at the very top of the screen, then there is a link to "My Postings" just under the grey navigation menu where it says "Home, TV, Features, Events etc)

Where's the user panel that was on the top left hand side? That was a quick link to all the handy areas you'd want to access quickly. Now it's become like a Myst type computer game where you have to scratch your head and hunt around for what you want. User interfaces should be totally, totally transparent to the visitor, otherwise they just go somewhere else.
I'll say this- I was really impressed with the useability of the original site, where you could quickly load up new photos and quickly access your posts etc, without having to read through a load of instructions. Reminds me of the old days where Adobe made retrograde 'improvements' to their software where functionality was greatly impaired and then in the next upgrade they were further improved by putting features back to where they were in a previous but one version...face 7

Edited By Modonaut on 11/07/2013 11:52:17

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 11/07/2013 11:32:11:

Using the clever developer tools in Google Chrome - here is a version in Blue but with the very top menu tools still in red,

It is a bit softer on the eyes and represents the sky that we all love to fly in

Click for a big version.

Yes, I did a few versions but thought I'd better not post them designers generally don't like their toes being trodden on! The red links are a definite no no.

Modonut - no hunting needed - the user panel options have just moved to the red menu strip at the top of the screen.

Have to agree on the comments re the use of red. I was always taught that in screen design never use red for text unless it relates to a fatal error, otherwise what colour do you use for a genuine error?

Other than that I like the new layout.

Edited By Colin Bernard on 11/07/2013 11:49:00

Posted by Colin Bernard on 11/07/2013 11:47:38:

Modonut - no hunting needed - the user panel options have just moved to the red menu strip at the top of the screen.

Have to agree on the comments re the use of red. I was always taught that in screen design never use red for text unless it relates to a fatal error, otherwise what colour do you use for a genuine error?

Other than that I like the new layout.

Edited By Colin Bernard on 11/07/2013 11:49:00

Yes, thanks I did already find that, but no link to 'Posts' unless you go to the 'Bookmarks' where I'm not sure this is the right link. You can go to 'Forum' where surprise, surprise you find a list of your posts...smiley

Edited By Modonaut on 11/07/2013 11:57:55

Edited By Modonaut on 11/07/2013 12:00:12

Edited By Modonaut on 11/07/2013 12:02:12

Nice one smile Looks good apart from the red- might be a tad difficult with so much red for anyone looking in who may suffer from red/green colour blindness.

Northerners dont NEED "sun"glasses- pray tell what is this "sun" you doth speak of Simon?! cool

Use the lancaster's wings Tony, at 134" they should reach to type at a distance hehe teeth 2

Edited By Willowlea on 11/07/2013 12:56:05

Argh ... bit of a gremlin up here in the north west ... I just spent several minutes on a reply to this thread ... when I hit the 'add posting' button I got an error message saying thread didn't exist ... so my reply was lost.

I usually write my posts in Word to get the layout and spelling right, then cut and paste into the forum reply box, that way I don't loose anything ... however this morning Murphy's law applied ... because I wrote the reply direct into the thread so lost it ...

As to the colour and layout, OK for me, colour is a very personal thing and so I don’t have an issue with the red!

EDIT ...

now there is also a problem with this posting ... it wont cut and paste from Word ... that's not not good -

Edited By avtur on 11/07/2013 13:16:15

Edited By avtur on 11/07/2013 13:19:37

The header is over the top of the Recent Activity - My Friends part of my page. Apart from that the site looks OK although I do prefer the old blue links text to the new red. Oh and my enter key doesn`t work on here but it does on other sites so this is all in one sentence, sorry. Thank you. The Whistler

Well, I don't like the new look, I'm afraid.

I'm not a fan of red, mainly due to my red/green/black colour blindnes (and TBH, it is likely that about 10% of the readership will have a similar problem). However, the big problem is that like cymaz I'm seeing a lot of overlapping content - for example the "HOME TV Features...." bar overlaps both the FMS/CML advert, and the text for RCME Magazine, Subscribe Now, Digital Editions. It also overlapped the login name/password fields when I was logging in.

Posted by cymaz on 11/07/2013 14:10:31:

Just been onto the front Ads page....there seems to be alot of over write

Is it my browser or has any else seen this problem?

Edited By cymaz on 11/07/2013 14:11:10

Yeap - I'm getting that as well. We're just logging these for the tech team at the moment ready for a sweep round - they will be fixed one by one.

BEB