New site appearance

Advert

Well I for one like it. Its more vibrant and has more energy than the old grey colour scheme. The text box is wider too!

Just one thing chaps (and chapesses) if your looking for your "personal menu" where your account buttons and messages are etc - its migrated to the top of the screen.

I'd back Katy up on this - the tech team are doing this as part of their job - its not easy and its done to give us a better environment. A little more "good grace" and a little less cynicism wouldn't go amiss guys!

BEB

I've had to login again since the upgrade, but only once. Closing all browsers and starting again - I stay logged in.

If I move to a different PC, that's different. Seems we can only be logged on one machine at a time. That's always been the case.

Katy - if you're looking, great new look. I can't imagine how much hard work this was, and I bet it's still going on?

While there in no new functionality from this change we are told that it will enable some functional enhencements in the near future. I guess the fact that all the forums are now on a common look will make maintainance more efficient which hopefully will free tech time for new features! Fingers crossed!

BEB

I did ask a question earlier in the thread.....but will it be possible to download pictures from my computer direct into the posting box??

At the momen I have to download into "my pictures" , then from there into the posting box.

P.S. someone likes the colour red!!

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 10/07/2013 17:20:33:

Just so all you guys hoping for wonderful things at the end of the week aren't too disappointed, it's only fair to point out that, as far as I know, this is just going to be a 'facelift' to bring all the related forums into line - it's not going to give us any more functionality, so we'll just have to carry on wishing..... ......

Pete

Hmmmm ... the old 'managing expectations' comment.

There have already been a number of comments about the shortcomings of the 'forum engine', I wont repeat them, but anyone following this (and some other threads) will be fully aware of them, I have to say I agree with many of them. I will also say that I live in fear of comments being 'moderated' out and warnings being issued ...

For my money (as a UK based user) this is the best forum for model flying and I am more than happy to say that. However just because I say that doesn't mean it could not be improved; and perhaps becasue of the commercial link my expectations are higher than if it was a none commercial site

In the course of following a number of interests I follow at least half a dozen forums (fora?) closely and my expectations are based on my collective experience of visiting this range of forums.

One comment I will make about this forum is that it is undeniably linked to the commercial interest of RCM&E; again an 'institution' that I have followed and supported (by buying it - while I have never subscribed heaven knows how much I've spent buy it!) for the best part of 40 years. As a paying customer of the magazine I believe that I have a right to comment, I do not think that is an unreasonable expectation. However I will say this is one the forum where I find myself being very cautious about comments I choose to make. I really do feel like ‘big brother’ is watching and waiting to pounce.

So while I like this forum my honest opinion is that technically it falls short on many “volunteer / none commercial” forums and I do not feel it affords me the opportunity to express all my thoughts. Perhaps I would sum it up by saying it’s a bit of a club and I feel like an outsider. These are my honest thoughts, I don’t mean to offend, I hope that such open feedback can be tolerated.

Edited By avtur on 11/07/2013 10:21:25

Edited By avtur on 11/07/2013 10:22:40

As I say Cymaz at the moment nothing changes. But obviously we know that the forum's handling of photos is clumsy - so I'm sure its high on the list of desirable changes - but we'll have to wait and see what comes out. We will certainly be pushing the idea that a revamp of how images are handled would be a priority for us.

BEB

Posted by Katy Purvis on 11/07/2013 09:12:45:

Hi Ken

No it can't be related, but it does sound a bit worrying. Please could you send me a screenshot? Would you please press Ctrl Alt PrntScr, and then paste it into an email to [email protected]. I will try to find out what it is, I don't want to change anything if there is a separate problem.

When one of my Popular Patchwork ladies had a survey pop up last year, it was because she had installed a strange addon to her browser, either in error or via a malicious page. What browser are you using, was it IE?

Thanks

Katy

hello katy-thanks for the reply...i'm on win 7/IE10....it hasn't happened since i came back on---to this new look version...if it does it again -i'll grab a screen shot and get it to you....

ken anderson ne..1..... it dept.

As a graphic designer myself my first impression was that something had gone wrong what with all that red... The red colour screams too much (red for danger) and also it takes away from the impact of the sites logo which is also red... I can't remember what the predominant colour was before- black or a darkish blue would be better. Perhaps I should keep my mouth shut!

Posted by avtur on 11/07/2013 10:20:16:
I will also say that I live in fear of comments being 'moderated' out and warnings being issued ...

Avtur - you need not "live in fear" my friend - you (like everyone else) will only have your posts moderated and be issued with a warning if you transgress the CoC or T&C's. Post are not changed on this forum, and never have been, for any other reason. So provided you are not insulting, use unacceptable language, or in any other way break the CoC, you are free to express your views - has you always have been.

BEB

Have to agree with IanR if it ain't broke dont fix it, also most things can be improved without a major change in the way they look, the Packard merlin was certainly better but looked very much the same, just having a rant because I am older and feel entitled. Too many "improvments" these days are a make work project to put money into somebody's pocket. Nuff said bring it on, I like many others will deal with it.