Hello to all. I was recently given a Bleriot which was looking in a rather sorry state. The model has a 57 " (1405mm) wingspan with a constant chord of 10" (206mm), is 34" (865mm) long. The airframe weighs 2lb (just less that 1 Kg).

It had been lovingly built by a friends father. He has since passed away. The aircraft appeared to have made a bit of a heavy landing but I have already conducted some surgery, replacing the damaged firewall and slight wing damage. Having sat in a garage, for about 5 years, a couple of spiders and wasps had taken up residence and had to be evicted before work began. As a mark of respect to the original builder, I am going to bring it back to its prime.

I've done a great deal of research and thus am glad that there were so many variations on the full-size which crossed the English Channel in 1909. This means that I can modify mine to suit!

My questions to the 'fountain of all aircraft modelling knowledge' is, what size engine should I install?" 2 stroke or 4? What shall I use to cover it? Can any-one help me with the manufacturer? I have taken some photographs and I will produce a 'rebuild blog' when the time is right.

Happy Landings, Roy

Advert

Hi Roy It's got to be a wee four stroke, for the noise and the torque. Maybe you could add two false cylinders to replicate a three cylander anzani engine. I'd use natural solartex to cover it. This has an authentic weave and is a doddle to apply ernie

The weight of the bare airframe can soon escalate when covered and everything installed, if it stays around 2kg. then a 0.30 four stroke would seem about right. But it depends on the weight of the whole plane when it is covered and everything installed and the c/g determined!.

O.S. & Saito 30 are a bit expensive.

0.30 Super Custom about £107 new.

Might need an 0.40 if the weight creeps up.

The Enya 0.41 is a superb motor and is very powerful, better than some ordinary 'sport' two strokes. Probably too much. And also not cheap.

As far as the manufacturer of the aircraft is concerned I think that one of the Japanese manufacturers used to make a kit of the Bleriot. (Marutaka??) Or if it is very well detailed, the name Proctor (USA) comes to mind.

Roy, perhaps you could show us the photos?

A 30-40 would be fine. As I say you don't want to over power it - the original was marginally powered. OK you want a bit more than that ( so you have the all-important "get out of jail free" power!). But I think say a 52 would be too much.

With a 1kg airframe I can't see it coming in more than 2kg. At that weight 0.6 hp would fly it easily, 0.7-0.8 would be plenty and leave power "in hand".

BEB

Bonjour, Mon Amis, (I bet that's wrong!). Thank you all for your suggestions, (keep 'em comin' about power and covering. I was thinking along those lines and to have the massed ranks of the RCME supporting that is a great relief. It's only taken 2 hours but I have finally uploaded the pictures of the Bleriot XI in question. bleriot 001.jpg

He was in a rather sorry state. Judging by the condition of the firewall, I believe that the previous builder/owner had used a small diesel for propulsion. The fuel tank was about the size of 2 matchboxes and has been removed, soon to be replaced with something a little more modern! The 2 fuel pipes sticking out of the cowling looked a bit unsightly. All the damaged formers have been replaced.

bleriot 002.jpg

There was damage to the leading edge as a result of an unexpected arrival. This has also been repaired.

bleriot 004.jpg

The undercart was looking a bit rusty. This has been replaced. Once I had evicted the insect world, who had up residence, I very carefully removed all the covering, which I think was doped linen!

bleriot 005.jpg

So, here he is, sans apparal, (I bet that is wrong, too!), waiting for the rebuild to start. Tune in, next time for more of this thrilling story. Au Revior, Roy

Hi Percy, I'm sure that is is a Bleriot. If you look closely at the 2nd picture, you can see 'BLERIOT XI 1909', which has been hand painted on the fin. Having done some research, it appears that each full-size aircraft built was to the customers specification. Roy

Well, that should look lovely in the air. If you get really carried away you should look out copies of "Simply IC" magazine from around 2000 or so as they published drawings of a working model Anzani engine...Don't know if the size would be right though, and I think it needed castings which might not be readily available.

John

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm it is a Cambrian Pioneer as I have one myself which I am just in the process of converting to electric.

It was designed for a .19 with the plan showing an Enya 19. I had an OS 19 and that was plenty powerful enough to do some nice Bleriot type flying.

i can't insert pictures from my iPad but if you look in my album you will see pics there of mine before I started refurbishing it.

Edited By Colin Bernard on 27/07/2013 17:55:57

Hello Colin. Those pictures are just what I needed. Thank you! Mine had suffered similar damage, split decking, slight wing warping, etc. I know that the model is 30 years old but do you know if the plans are still available? The information on them would help with C of G and other details. I have an OS15 sitting unemployed in the workshop. I wonder if would be 'man enough' or perhaps a tad too weak. What do you think? Happy landings, Roy

• 1 month later...

Hello to all. Thanks to all the wonderful forumites for their help and advice. I've been a bit lazy recently with the Bleriot but I'm forging ahead now. I cut back all the oil-soaked or damaged wood and grafted on some new stuff to the front end, made some new bulkheads and a firewall and replaced the wing retaining bar. A couple of coats of wood stain brought the old girl back to life! A trial fit of the fuel tank and Rx and servo tray was successful.

The old undercart was dispensed with and I set about constructing some suspension as near to the original as I could get. I've done quite a bit of research on t'internet and the variations are amazing. Just about every Bleriot produced was different because each one was made to the customers specification, (and presumably what materials Louis had to hand!) A close inspection of my Bleriot will reveal the springs from cheap ball-point pens being put to a better use.

I also dispensed with the wire tail skid and carved one from a bit a of scrap hardwood. Another spring found lying around in the workshop provided the tail suspension. The next bit to 'bite the dust' was the plastic fuselage top. I created a new one from balsa to replicate planking. The new occupant appears to happy with the improvements. He will be getting a new leather flying helmet shortly.

I happened to stumble upon a very nice Saito 45 four-stroke which will perhaps be a bit too powerful but you don't have to run at full revs, do you? In time, I hope to construct another 2 'cylinders' to give the impression of the 3 cylinder Rhone engine.

All the pull-pull systems are made and ready for installation. I will cover the wings and tail-feathers next and then it will be time for the dreaded Maiden. More pictures and waffle will follow when the time is right, but in the mean-time, Happy Landings. Roy.