is it possible for a parcel to be delivered intact

ben goodfellow  1

Advert

I received a parcel via Hermes, it was covered in mud as if it had been rolling around in a builders truck.

The Post Office are not much better, my wife ordered a hand made glass flower. sad roseIt had been beautifully wrapped in tissue, foam and about 3 metres of bubble wrap. They still managed to shatter it.angry 2

Just don't mention Parcel Farce.

Sent a crossover unit (Electronics unit) wrapped in bubblewrap as instructed by Farcel Force, packed in a double walled cardboard box, as instructed by Parcel Fools. It arrived and appeared to have been dropped onto concrete from about 6ft up. The face plate was made of 4mm steel and it was bent 90 degrees. Did they pay up ? What do you think ? Followed their procedure to the far end of a and ended up being told that I had not packed it in accordance with their requirements so they wouldn't be coughing up.

Last week received a returned engine & parts from Just Engines, dispatched the same way and guess what ? The box was all split and squashed. Fortunately there was no damage to the contents and nothing was lost.

I wonder how much worse it will get once they have been privatised. I hope the Post Offices have the option to use alternative providers then (in accordance with EU competition law).

Interparcel seems to be the way forward.

kevinb Grump over.

Edited By kevin b on 15/07/2013 21:21:18

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 15/07/2013 21:52:12

Last week I decided i wanted a Grob Tutor as per my post regarding the kit a few days back. Now I had two choices driver to my local model store who had one for £189.99 or order from the Internet and get it all in delivered for 142.00.

The only thing that worried me was the fact it would be delivered. My main fear was how much would be broken and how much hassle would I have to get it sorted out.

It was delivered by DPD and they even gave an hour delivery slot. There was not a mark on the packaging and the model was fine.

MIke

Edited By MikeS on 15/07/2013 21:55:35

ive had 2 lots of bother with parcel farce once they said i signed for a parcel from gs when i was at work fortunately the service from gs wa brilliant and they re sent it. the other one was my other half sent a baby sling of which there is one only made and they lost it that was 60 odd pound gone as the compo level was quite low, which leads me to say what if its a rare kit and they destroy it and it cant simply be replaced ,if the service is such as you have to think about using it , then something is sadly wrong

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 15/07/2013 21:53:55:

Guys no matter how cross you are bad language is not permitted - and that goes for replacing letters with asterisks as well - as is explicitly pointed out in the CoC.

BEB

Sorry BEB. Had seen it done before. Hadn't read the small print myself.

Lesson learnt. Don't always learn from others.

kevinb

I've used iPostparcels with complete staisfaction. With RM's silly new rules and prices they are cheaper and they'll print you a label if you don't have a printer, which I don't. They collect from your house and deliver next day. All done on line.

They've delivered all sorts of stuff for me from a small kit to an Austin 7 steering column!

Martin

I worked for Royal Mail for 8 years (in IT) and if you saw how parcels were loaded and unloaded from vans and HGV's you would cry. If time is short for an evening transport deadline I have seen parcels literally thrown into the back of a trailer off a conveyor, even big heavy boxes containing things like computers.

• 1 month later...

I am waiting for a small ebay purchase of a secondhand item made from a London (70 miles away) seller. As soon as I saw he was using a courier service my heart sank, I just knew there would be a problem.

The package is tracked, this is what I have found out so far.

It was bought and paid for by me on the 21st August, received at the shop where it was to be collected on the 22nd. (Thursday) Collected on the 27th! I know that there is a Bank Holiday in between, but that is ridiculous.

It was sent to my local office (10 miles away) on Wednesday. It is now Friday afternoon. Now fearing the worst.

I am told by the website that I have to wait 5 days before contacting them. (Collect+).

!Collect plus what!? - an eight day wait!

Edited By Chris P. Bacon on 30/08/2013 13:28:55

I received a parcel, delivered by courier, with tracking facility. The tracking read 'COLLECTION REQUESTED', then 'COLLECTION SCHEDULED', then for the next three days I had the message 'in Transit', 'In Transit' and 'In Transit', then 'in Depot', then for good luck another 'In Transit' and finally 'DELIVERY SCHEDULED' none of these messages meant anything to me as there was no no times of delivery only times entered after something had happened. When I worked in Saudi Arabia, in the '70s, Saudia Airlines would only put up their expected arrival times when the aircraft was on finals, thus ensuring a 100% timekeeping record. I think some of the 'Courier' services are trying to perfect this system.

That's not my experience - a couple of times earlier this year someone in Scotland that I bought some lathe gears from sent them by Collect+ - reasonable prices, accurate tracking info and really convenient in that I could specify a local corner shop which opened until 10.30 PM for collection.

Both times they were handed in on a Tuesday afternoon and delivered on the Thursday late afternoon i.e. just slightly over 48 hours which at the price (I was charged £3.50) I thought was brilliant!.

I suspect there's been a bit of a price rise since January but it still looks competitive - was yours sent by the slightly cheaper 3 - 5 day option (2 days is standard) - if so, you could still be (just) within their normal business terms so let's hope you hear something this afternoon!

Edited By Martin Harris on 30/08/2013 14:51:17

I once recieved a flash gun from Minolta that was wringing wet through. I sent the packaging to Minolta but they were not bothered with how their courier was treating their goods.

I once saw a lass in the back of a couriers transit, outside of a Currys shop, dropping lap top sized parcels parcels onto the pavement from about 5' 0".

See my post above Mike - but the gears weren't in the delicate category so I can't vouch for how much they respect the parcels!

It's very much a weakest link scenario. Typically, the package will be handled by multiple people, collection, distribution centre, local depot, delivery etc...

Only takes one to be an idiot!

Edited By Martin Harris on 30/08/2013 16:36:05

re The above, I have opened a case with ebay, item not delivered. I have just had an email from the seller telling me that the item was delivered at 11.57 today.

Oh no it wasn't.

I was at home looking out for that delivery and another, a book from 'Amazin' I didn't go out until 2 pm.

I know that the Post Office is expensive now, but I have used them for ebay items coming in and out for 9 years and over 400 items and cannot remember any problems other than perhaps a delivery or two a few days delayed, but of the four or five courier delivery service items I have had two annoying problems, for what exact reason I do not really know. For seven of those years I lived in a fairly remote address.

1744 hrs. Edit, contacted Delivery service, they have a signature for it so who knows where it is, it could be anywhere!

Edited By Chris P. Bacon on 30/08/2013 17:46:37

I don't want to tempt fate here - but I have to say that, by and large, I don't experience a lot of this. Maybe I just buy from dealers that use different couriers? Most parcels seem to arrive pretty promptly, well wrapped and undamaged.

Just watch now - the next three deliveries will be disasters having said that sad

BEB