FrSky Taranis - user chat

Bob Cotsford

"digital servos for instance, just what is digital about them."

The amplifier is digital.

It allows the servo to drive full torque for very small movements.

On an analogue amplifier, this isn't possible.

The digital servo thus has a better ability to hold a static position against a force. And is more accurate under load.

For larger movements, there is little difference.

The trade off is that a digital amp will likely use more current / power / battery / etc.

Advert

I've put openTx on the Taranis plus (release 2.2.1) and repeated the latency measurements. Because openTx doesn't (currently) synchronise to the XJT heartbeat pulse, and, in 16 channel mode, only sends one frame to the XJT every 9 mS, there is quite a variation in the latency, slowly changing over time.

The shortest latency I found was 19.3 mS, jumping to 37.3 mS, and the longest I found was 53.9 mS jumping down to 36.1 mS. These are times from control input to servo pulse. With the longer times, sometimes the SBUS output does occur 9mS before the servo pulse, so the 53.9 mS was 44.9 mS to the SBUS output.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,
I'm messing about with some on-board electronics of my own design at the moment, and need to check that nothing is affecting operation of my radio before I dare go fly with it. (I'm using a PIC processor)
I've just had a search of this Forum and can't find anything definitive relating to what signal strength to expect, and the minimum ranges. There has been chat on this subject in the past, but nothing concrete has been defined. What people have talked about seems very wide, eg range anywhere from 20m to 100m and RSSI 45 to 60.

I also can't find anything about how to place the model - eg up on a wooden table, or higher, or on the ground.

What is the general consensus these days? now having had a reasonably lengthy in-service life of the Taranis product, there must be lots of experience.

Regards,

Martyn Coles

Martyn it's hard to put a pass/fail figure, and distance, on this because it's only a very specific direction that you're testing from and the model is inevitably near the ground.
Having said that, if you get to 30 paces and RSL is still reading above say 45, then you should be OK.
Ideally you want to test from all possible directions of the full sphere around the model.
The only practical way is really to do the initial range test and maybe walk 360 Deg around the model.
Then fly the model having made sure RSL is being logged.
Afterwards look at a graph of the log and see how it did for the whole flight.
One other test I like to do for each receiver, is to see how low the RSSI reading goes before I lose control. Not all receivers are the same, it might be better to use this figure to decide whether your 30 pace reading is acceptable or not.
(Of course the loss of control test might be difficult if you lose telemetry before you lose control, but you see what I'm getting at?)

You should get between 50 and 80 Mtrs before you lose control. You Tx Lady will shout at you before that happens, but it is the distance to control loss that is rally important. Walk backwards while you are doing it, as you do not want to be in between the Tx and the model.

BC

• 2 weeks later...

This is a known problem with that module, there is something wrong with the firmware in it.
The only solution I know of is to update the firmware in the module with the MultiProtocol firmware, however this is not a straightforward operation as the module needs a special programmer (PDI). If you use Arduinos at all, I do have a method of using one to flash a bootloader to the module, then I also have a method of using that to flash the MultiProtocol firmware from the radio.

Mike

@PeteH - I have a similar problem with my UMX Radian but I use a Spektrum Tx module in my Taranis. What I have found is that I have to disconnect then reconnect the Radian's battery then it will make said connection and all works fine. Same applies to some of my other UMX 'planes too!!

My larger 'planes with on board Spekky Rx are not a problem, they connect first time.

Thanks to the hard work that Mike has done to create a method to flash Multi Protocol to the Orange module and documenting the process. I now have a Radian UMX working as it should with a Taranis and Orange module.

Thank you Mike.

Edited By Pete H on 13/06/2018 23:10:27

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ron,

To be honest I m not sure what the problem was. Derek had all the rates and expo settings in the mixes section rather than the inputs section. I know you can do this, but it is not the "normal" way. I modified his program, to put the rates and expo settings in the Inputs section, and that sorted the problem.

Hope that helps.

Edited By Barry Cole 2 on 28/05/2019 15:00:54