Autogyro Blades from AJ Blades

John AJ Blades

• 3 weeks later...

I recently contacted John at AJ Blades see if they could make me some blades to their profile but thicker longer wider and heavier than their usual fare. This was because I have four autogyros that I fly on the same set of blades (those from my excellent Rich Harris designed "Gemini"yes) and wanted another set.

My blades arrived quickly and I have to say they are very nicely made. All 3 weighed to within 1 gram of each other with similar span wise c of g so there was very little balancing work required.

I have flown them back to back with my own blades on a range of pushers and pullers in the 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 lb mark and find they perform very similarly with only very minor trim changes with my usual 0.5 mm shim added.

Here is a bit of video taken today flying with the new blades

Cheers
Rich

Edited By Richard Elliot on 17/12/2013 16:41:08

• 4 weeks later...
Great news for the New Year!

Hi All,
After talks with Rich Harris and Malcolm at Coolwind we shall be expanding our range by manufacturing blade sets to suit the excellent models that Rich has designed and passed on to Malcolm for sale of the paper plans via his webshop  "Here"
At present we shall be manufacturing blade sets for the popular Firefly II, El Bandito and BurkyII with other blade sets soon to follow as Rich finishes the testing and finalises the plans.These will be for the Mantis and Le Cruiser (both sizes).Please keep an eye on our webshop  "Here"  for availability.
We would like to thank everyone that has given their support over 2013 and have our best wishes for 2014!

Al - A J Blades Ltd

Edited By Al - AJ Blades Ltd on 10/01/2014 10:53:29

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

​​FireFly/Burky/Mantis Blades

Just to inform everyone that a new version of these blades have been sent to Rich for testing but until we have Rich`s full approval on flight tests we are unable to supply any further blades for these models.As soon as we have the go ahead from Rich we will put these back into production.

Al - A J Blades Ltd

Scout Kits made by Flying Balsa

We have managed a deal with Flying Balsa of the USA and we are now the sole supplier of the UK Edition of their Scout kit of which details can be found on their website and various forums.

Please note that this kit comes without a tail wheel assembly or wheels.A pre-bent undercarriage is included though.The rotors will be manufactured and supplied by us and all drawings and instructions provided in the kit for the UK Edition of course.This means that we are able to supply this kit considerably cheaper and quicker than buying direct from the USA. without all the "hidden" costs involved.

This kit is for sale to UK customers only and is for sale on our web shop now.

Al - A J Blades Ltd

Hi ,

I have bought some 450mm blades from AJ Blades and the flapper plate converter from coolwind to use on a Auto G ,

I have a question regarding the blades ,

Do i need to add glass fiber to the blades before i try to bolt them to the flapper plate and if so what is need to be done to the blades before they are ready for use .

any help here would be greatly appreciated .

Cheers Steve ,

Steve,

You'll need to add some strengthening material either thin ply or glass fibre to the top surface to help stop the bolt/washer pulling through.

Then you'll need to sheet the bottom surface for 1.5" or so, with either GF or thin Ply, so that the blade glides on the delta-plate and the plate prevented from digging into the softer wooden blade. This surface also provides a stable platform on which to attach and shims you may need.

You will need to cover blades with a smooth covering, eg solarfilm/profilm type covering.

The end of the blades are normally rounded off and a chamfer cut on the trailing edge so that the blades can be folded back

Malcolm

Coolwind

Hi Steve,

As you have purchased your blades for the Auto G I would suggest you have a look at Tom`s thread on beefing up this model "Here".You will of course, as is with any set of blades, have to find the CG of your blades to obtain the bolt hole position.Don`t be tempted to overlay your original blades for this as the CG may well be different.There is a video posted by BigT on how to do this earlier on this thread.Hope this helps.

Al - A J Blades Ltd

Hi Steve

My thread was not a detailed account of all the details required to achieve the conversion . If it's any help the blade bolt hole was located 14 mm from the root and 14 mm from the LE .A layer of 0.4 mm GF extending 30 mm from root was added to the blade root underside , the bolt entry point is enforced with a finger of 0.4 GF 30 mm long and 12 mm wide. other materials like 1 mm ply would also do the job.

The shims are 6 mm by 30 mm GF placed 6 mm behind the bolt hole centre , I tried 0.4 mm and 0.8 mm shim thickness lower values appeared to result in to much lift and some pitch up tendency so the thicker 0.8 mm are in place at the moment resulting in good spin up and a nice light feel in the air ,although a little down elevator trim was still needed on my model .

Please note I ended up with a blade length of 405 mm ,this was achieved by trimming a bit off the fin, so standard blade lengths would give a little less lift and may respond to some experimenting with shim thickness.

My model flies well with no bad habits,but as this was a first attempt at a plate and blade conversion I cannot claim it is optimal.

Hope this helps give me a shout if you need to do some model to model comparisons.

Tom.

Posted by Al - AJ Blades Ltd on 29/03/2014 13:32:43:

Scout Kits made by Flying Balsa

We have managed a deal with Flying Balsa of the USA and we are now the sole supplier of the UK Edition of their Scout kit of which details can be found on their website and various forums.

Please note that this kit comes without a tail wheel assembly or wheels.A pre-bent undercarriage is included though.The rotors will be manufactured and supplied by us and all drawings and instructions provided in the kit for the UK Edition of course.This means that we are able to supply this kit considerably cheaper and quicker than buying direct from the USA. without all the "hidden" costs involved.

This kit is for sale to UK customers only and is for sale on our web shop now.

Al - A J Blades Ltd

Al, I'll get that in the mag's news pages, do you have the RRP please and can you email me a high-res image/s?

Hi Tom ,

Thanks for the extra info ,

I don't know how i missed you're replay , probably pre occupied with other things ,

I was just going to guess the rest but now i don't have too ,

Do you think anyone would be interested in a re-build log or has it been done already ,

Cheers Steve

P'S i haven't got started on it yet i thought it best to get all the info 1st then i got lumbered with some decorating ,

• 2 weeks later...

Thank`s ,

Tom , AJ Blades and coolwind ,

I now have a auto G almost ready to fly just a few more questions , As the motor mount was broken i have glued a firewall to the front end and used that to fit my motor too , all is strong and firm , i just would like to know if i need any down thrust or right thrust and where the Cog should be , i have tried to find a download of the manual but can only find amendments to the error in the manual .

Cheers Steve .

Steve,

Thanks for the thanks!

On my Auto-G there is no side thrust, and about 5 degrees down thrust.

The manual has one diagram on the C of G position and it's not particularly clear but seem to indicate that it should be 220mm back from the spinner tip, which comes out at about the forward edge of the mast base. I don't remember measuring mine, I just put the battery in and flew it,

Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help guys ,

I had my 1st flight today although only a shorts circuit due to high winds ,

I sat it on the grass pointing into wind and allowed the blades to spin up by them self and when the wind started to blow the model backwards i put on the power to the motor .

Straight up it went with a little left turn then it was clear it was too windy for it as it was blown down field so i turned it back into wind and eased off the power until it settled on the ground .

And then a long walk to the bottom of our field to retrieve it un damage and ready for next time out ,

Cheers Guys ,

I am pleased to say i have flown it and it wasn`t as bad as i thought it might be .

Steve ,

• 4 weeks later...