Sound systems.

Posted by Martin Harris on 05/11/2013 13:55:54:

Next step will be for an enterprising manufacturer to make an oil and smut distribution system for added realism so that the model will ooze oil and soot like the real thing!

Just out of interest, how are sound equipped models regarded at "electric only" sites?

These sound systems do come with a volume control that can be turned down if the full volume sound level is too much. Also our ShockWave sound module can be configured to adjust the volume remotely from the transmitter.

Has anyone got a sound file for a longggg air raid siren.

Also, David any idea what is the longest sound clip I could safely play?

Furthermore, when I flick the switch on the transmitter, I get one of the five selected sounds playing over and over on repeat. How do I change it to one play per one click of the switch?

Thanks guys. Also, how do I change the volume with the plane in the air and flying???

Mark

Mark, the ShockWave2 sound module comes with a 4GB micro-SD card. About 1/2 of that is taken up with our entire collection of aircraft sounds so the remaining 2GB could be used for extremely long sounds e.g. about 3.5 hours at 44100/16 bits.

Also, by default, the sound loops will play indefinitely as long as they are switched on, so you don't really need a longggg air raid siren - only one that lasts long enough so the repeat sounds natural e.g. about 20 seconds.

To change the default behaviour you use the SFXPC4 Windows SW. In the regular sound clip list you can right click on any sound and select the "Looping->Play Once" menu item. Then Click the Save Settings button.

For remote volume control you need to configure that in the SFXPC4 Control Panel->Hardware Tab. The SOUND1 input can be set for remote R/C volume control. Then you'd use the SOUND2 input for selecting the regular sounds. You'd probably need to set the offset# for SOUND2 input to 0 as well.

Regards,
David

Posted by Dave Miller on 09/11/2013 08:01:17:

The speaker cable supplied is a very stiff twisted pair. If I untwist this cable to route the two wire cores separately will I experience any problems? One of the cores will run close to a servo lead for about a foot at one point.

DO NOT untwist the speaker or battery wires under any circumstances. They are tightly twisted together for a very good reason - i.e. to reduce EMI (ElectroMagnetic Interference). When tightly twisted together the EM field generated by the current flowing in one wire will be cancelled out by the EM field generated by the current flowing in the opposite direction in the other wire. If you untwist them you will increase the EMI radiated by the wires.

Regards,
David Harrison

Posted by Model Sounds Inc. on 09/11/2013 15:07:39:
Posted by Dave Miller on 09/11/2013 08:01:17:

The speaker cable supplied is a very stiff twisted pair. If I untwist this cable to route the two wire cores separately will I experience any problems? One of the cores will run close to a servo lead for about a foot at one point.

DO NOT untwist the speaker or battery wires under any circumstances. They are tightly twisted together for a very good reason - i.e. to reduce EMI (ElectroMagnetic Interference). When tightly twisted together the EM field generated by the current flowing in one wire will be cancelled out by the EM field generated by the current flowing in the opposite direction in the other wire. If you untwist them you will increase the EMI radiated by the wires.

Regards,
David Harrison

Thanks, I suspected that might be the case; twisted they shall remain..

Posted by Mark Reynolds on 13/11/2013 21:10:53:

Well the software is very easy to use; you can drag and drop sound files, in the correct wav or mp3 format, onto the sound unit with ease once you have it all set up. I am busy setting it up now. I will save a few surprises for the maiden. Thumbs up,

I will just point out for those that don't have our system, that you do not need to install or use the software in order to use the sound module - it comes ready to use. You only need to use the SW if you want to change any of the many configurable settings, or edit the sounds.

Regards,
David

• 2 months later...

Well work continues on the stuka after xmas. I have the speaker system and sound card installed now and it seems to work fine.

The engine sound is very good and deep and will be loud enough once I turn it up some more.

I am still fiddling with the secondary sounds. I have installed 4 of my own. 1 is working the other 3 are not so I must have done something wrong.

I think maybe I haven't saved it properly. Update shortly.

I hope to maiden it soon. Here is a link to a small video of the setup. Apologies it is phone quality only.

**LINK**

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Could anyone post a video or three of some of these systems in flight? I've seen many videos of models "starting up" and they sound great but the few I've come across in flight seem to get drowned out by the sound of the electric motors powering the models - I don't want to be a cynic but unless the model sounds exceptionally realistic in flight they wouldn't interest me and I'd rather have the "real but unrealistic" sound of a 4 stroke glow in a scale model.

I do find it odd that I've never seen any of these systems demonstrated at shows but I will keep an open mind!

I think the amount of electric motor noise vs. sound system engine sound depends on the quality of the electric motor as well as, of course, how loud the sound system is.

My sound system is a Benedini installed with two 4" speakers in my Flair Magnatilla with an AXI 2826/12 motor. I and my fellow club members just love it -- some of them literally fall around laughing when I start it up. I can hear the motor -- not drowning out the sound system though -- during my take-off, but in the cruise at around 50% throttle or less the motor is inaudible.

I will try and get a video of the sound when flying, not long into the maiden, my motor shed its magnets so I will replace and then try again. wink

Fortunately, we decided not to have the sound on for the maiden so I managed to land it.

Tony: I am using the model sounds inc sound card; with that you can download and install your own sounds as long as you put them in the right file format. I have an air raid siren on my stuka, the sound file for that is around 80 seconds long. So you can mix and match as much as you want.

Regarding volume levels my sound is around 107db at 1 meter from the plane. loud enough for me! cool