Uno-Wot build advice

Martyn Glover

hello and welcome martyn...they recommend a 40 to 46/2/st....depending on your budget...have a look around and I would say go for a 40 size engine...they can be had for various prices...so shop around.......lookout for SC/OS brands and others......I would go for a new one unless you know the person who is selling a 2nd hand one.....

ken Anderson ne..1.........Wot dept....

40 size example price...........

Edited By ken anderson. on 05/10/2013 10:11:49

Thank you both for replying quickly

I was looking at installing the OS46 but wasn't sure if it would have too much power for a beginner, the model has quite a wide range of engines it can take but you would think the smaller one would be for beginners up to the experience flyers. Looking at buying my Uno-Wot today I like the idear of building it so in the event of mishap I got some knowledge how to repair it!

I'll put a picture on if all goes well ? thanks again

Good advice given so far. I had a WOT Trainer (later version than yours) which was excellent on an OS 46 LA. Balanced perfectly, plenty of power for take off and when you improve, yet not too much.

Very good prices on a new engine which you can rely on and then use it in following models

Hi Martyn

Had one of these for years but its converted to electric now. It had an irvine .39 in it before and to be honest the engine was a little heavy for it. Chris Foss suggests .25 to .36 and i would go with that,it certainly does not need a .40 or .46 or you'll end up putting weights on at the back, nor does it need the extra power.

Andrew

I'm still along way from installing the engine stage but its good to get different opinions on this.

Just been looking around and found an OS Max 35AX engine, a bit more expensive but I think its a happy medium ?

Think your right about the trike undercarriage, got a lot to learn first.

Martyn,

You might like to have a look at this thread:

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=63505

My Uno Wot originally flew with an OS25, but was improved greatly when I fitted an SC32. I think a .46 engine might just be a little too powerful, especially for a learner.

Pics of mine are at http://www.modelflying.co.uk/albums/member_photo.asp?a=18990&p=312763

Best of luck

Morning people

Had a look at these threads, a lot of useful information for me to digest. I am still un decided about the size of engine to fit? I read on here that a guy put a 25 size in and felt under powered in a breeze, anyone had this issue also ? I like the OS engines that feature a remote needle valve to keep my pinkies away from the propeller, is there any other brand that have this system because I cant find any that do?

Thank you for all the help and advice on here, I hope the model club that I choose are just as helpful as people on this site

Anyone live in the Staffordshire area and know of a good club ? thanks for the links Geoff, your model looks fantastic.

Posted by Martyn Glover on 07/10/2013 08:33:06:

Morning people

Had a look at these threads, a lot of useful information for me to digest. I am still un decided about the size of engine to fit? I read on here that a guy put a 25 size in and felt under powered in a breeze, anyone had this issue also ? I like the OS engines that feature a remote needle valve to keep my pinkies away from the propeller, is there any other brand that have this system because I cant find any that do?

Thank you for all the help and advice on here, I hope the model club that I choose are just as helpful as people on this site

Anyone live in the Staffordshire area and know of a good club ? thanks for the links Geoff, your model looks fantastic.

Martyn,

Glad you like it. Like you, I was a 'returnee' when I built it - 40 years after I last flew!

Back to your choice of engine. I also had 'wind' problems with the OS25 fitted (our club patch is at the top of a hill), hence the upgrade to an SC32 (see my earlier post). The SC also has the remote needle valve at the back of the crankcase: just right if you're worried about fingers. If you go down this route, take Percy Verance's advice and wait a second or two for the engine to respond after making an adjustment to the needle. I can highly recommend this engine - strong, reliable and easy to handle for newcomers to i.c.

Have found SC and ASP engines that have the remote needle valve on them, not badly priced either.

Just got off the phone to a local r/c club regarding joining the club and learning to fly Spent about 30minutes going through things for me which was helpful.

As predicted got the cold should from a couple of local clubs, who I shall not mention !!

With the FX 25 in it, the Uno Wot goes almost vertical and is ideal. One time flew the model until the fuel ran out and took 45 mins to glide back down, such as the efficiency of the wing. Not flown it much over the last 10 years - maybe one outing, but going to put a new 2.4 rx and battery in it and give it a go...

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 15 year old balsa unowot. Originally had an enya 40, now has an ASP 40. Flys like a dream, easy to handle. The engine is quiet and has plenty of power. I only started flying again after many years out of the hobby, so effectively a beginner. Agree tail dragger is good. Line it up, reduce power and it virtually lands itself.

Hello people,

I have started to build my uno-wot and have come across a little problem which I cant fathom ?

After fitting the servo mounting tray and the last former, I cant seem to get the tail to line up perfectly with the three formers as instructions say to do. The fuselage is square have measured many times with a set square,

But the tail end seems twisted slightly when holding ends together with elastic bands as instructions say!

How do you get past this and glue ends accurately ?

ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREAT

I can't remember having any similar problems either Martin and it's a bit difficult to give advice without seeing the model so my first suggestion would be to get an experienced modeller to look at it and take his advice.

If you haven't got an experienced modeller friend and you're sure that the fuselage is all square, take a look at the model from the rear. Which way does the tailplane slope? If from left to right, cut away a sliver of balsa from the underside of the left-hand tail platform until the desired angle is reached. Then pack out the the slot on top of the tailplane with scrap balsa. Vice versa if the tailplane lopes the other way.

Having said that and knowing the quality of Chris Foss's kits, I would be very surprised if there was a serious fault in your kit. Please get an experienced modeller to look at it first before you do anything drastic.