Super Endurance

Some time ago I built a plane that had 4 LiFe cells built into its wings. They were charged in-situ. A sound structural solution allowing the plane to carry 60% of its all up weight as batteries,

Electrically the set up worked fine but the widely distributed weight did result in some stability issues which were never completely solved. Its difficult flight characteristics meant its absolute endurance (1 hour) was never tested.

As an experiment I replaced the LiFe cells with Li-ion. Of identical proportions they have 3 times the capacity, 3.7V instead of 3V and are 5% lighter. Fantastic on paper but the downside is a maximum of just 1.5C.

For electric endurance (1+ hour) the battery is not actually required to deliver more than 1C so the LI-ion limit is not actually a problem.

My current Endurance plane uses a 5000mAh 2s LiPo and flies on 1A so the battery is only required to deliver 0.2C. The battery weighs 7.3oz.

Nine 3000mAh Li-ion cells arranged in a 2p3s arrangement would give the same voltage, weighs just under 8oz and have a capacity of 9000mAh. If a plane carrying it could be made to fly on 1A the ultimate duration would be.....silly! smile o

There is little practical point doing this but I am curious to see if it can be done.

Past experience suggests the plane would fly better with its cells concentrated in the fuselage. Conventional tubular cells can be arranged efficiently in a triangle and stacked 2 deep would conveniently give the required 2s3p arrangement.

A section of triangular Depron fuselage to test the battery layout.

Test battery

There has to be some way to insert the cells as they should be charged individually. A single cell sized hatch would be a possibility.

Battery hatch

Having decided the battery arrangement looked promising the full fuselage in 6mm Depron.

Fuselage 2 sides .jpg

The formers represent the battery compartment. The wing and tail surfaces will be mounted on top of the fuselage with a 70W out runner in the nose.

Will it work? I have no idea - yet! wink 2

Advert

Is there a record that you are using as a comparison?

If it is a personal challenge, I do not know what to think.

The confusion I am experiencing is partly down to my own experiences. When we all flew of a bungee, I think 3 minutes was a typical flight without lift. Every flight was about achieving the 10 minutes (from memory) slot time, used in competition. So 20 minutes was a one in possibly 50 or probably more launches of the bungee.

Retrospectively I now see that my devotion to winch launching, was just a device to improve on my limited flight duration, without any increase in skill.

When I returned to modelling, it was by motorising my gliders. At first I felt pretty chuffed, my skills had really increased, I could do 20 minutes easily off one Lipo. If the aim was to use the motor once, I really could get the model to a dot in the sky, in 30sec. and then easily achieve 10 minutes. Yes I really had become that good.

I then motored one of my biggest models, using a Mammoth Lipo to get the CG right, without lead (Pb). Now 45 minutes was easily achieved. I was now that good.

Then the penny dropped, this duration flying was boring, had more to do with my motors and battery combinations, than me.crook

I seldom fly gliders now, increasingly my models are sports planes.

My thrust is, as a technical challenge what you are doing is very personal, in some respect vague, in that you are satisfying your own target. Perhaps some electric duration record is needed, to provide a firm goal!smiley

But if this approach and challenge, shakes your tree, and gets what you want, who am I to comment!

After some thought I decided the best solution to removing the cells was to hinge the complete nose.

Fuselage cutt off

This will allow the cells to loaded like a torch and swinging the nose down would actually make the contact with the cells. The elevator servo will use external pull/pull wires.

There are 3 sets of spring contacts for the negative end of the batteries.

Spring contacts

Each cable is actually soldered to the top of each spring so no current passes through the spring steel itself.

The individual cables are joined to a larger one which is taken forward to the nose section.

Contact cables

The radio will be in this area as well.

The cells in place standing just proud of the join ready.to be compressed on their contact springs by the nose when it is in place .

6 cells

The nose will containing the motor and ESC.

The nose section hinged onto the fuselage.

Nose down.The Blue Wonder motor is buried under the Depron rings.

The nose lifted to show the battery access.

Nose up

The triangular plate is just visible on the rear face of the nose that makes contact with the positive end of the batteries.

With 3 Depron 'cheeks' added to match the diameter of the spinner, a lot of sanding and some lightweight filler.

Spinner

Now to start thinking about the wing.

Martian

These neat driver/spinner units used to be stocked in 3 sizes by Giant Shark (when they were Giant Cod) but are no longer available.

This is the small size (32mm).

Folding prop unit

The prop driver itself has a hex body that fits the nylon(?) folding prop unit which takes takes normal 6mm root blades. The blades are retained by conventional folding prop type screws.

The fact the blades are held in plastic does limit how much torque/speed can be safely used (and maybe the reason they are no longer stocked) but these light and beautifully streamlined units are ideal for my purpose.

It is a standard collet type that tightens on the motor shaft as the nut is done up.

The HK 'small' is almost identical but note it is not clear what size root blade it takes (5mm?) and is drilled for a 2.5mm motor shaft. I guess to limit the size of motor that can be used.

HK only seem to stock blades larger that I would be confident to use on this hub.

ps

Giant Shark do now have the small and medium units in stock but for a 2.1mm motor shaft and a range of smaller diameter blades as well.

On my real light weight planes I usually specify 2 mm prop adaptors simply because they are smaller and lighter and drill them out to 3mm but I do it on a lathe to ensure the hole is concentric and true.

You do have to be careful not to drill into the threaded part of the adapter as a 3mm hole is likely to be close to the minor diameter of the thread. The motor shaft may have to be shortened to get the adaptor to seat fully home.

This was exactly what I did on my Depron Fokker V25 as the 2805 motor had a 3mm shaft.

Back to the Super Endurance

The wing utilise the 15" tip sections of the Battery Wing but will have a new 10" inner panel to give a 50" span.

The new wing will have a single centre dihedral break.

The inner panel spar.

Inner panel spar

A balsa/Depron/balsa sandwich 3mm thick. The balsa spars are deeper towards the root.

The spar is inserted into the skin to give maximum depth.

Spar inserted

The inner panel spar and lower skin glued to the tip with the new ribs added.

Tip and inner panel

The spar joint is reinforced by 1mm balsa plates glued each side of the top and bottom balsa flanges.

The left and right inner panels are completely symmetrical so 2 of each component was cut out at the same time. The other wing inner panel should be a quicker build.

Posted by Martian on 12/10/2013 21:06:21:

Ah thats a blow I've got a couple of brushed motors I want to use but they are 3mm was planning on using 8x6 props ,is it poss to drill them out by half a mill ?

Are you sure they're 3mm ?

IIRC brushed 540 - 600 size motors generaly have 3.2mm shafts.

Edited By PatMc on 12/10/2013 22:28:43

Piers

I thought about this for some time. I was concerned that any motor vibration no matter how small might temporarily break the battery contact despite the contact springs on the negative end of the batteries so I went for the old favourite - rubber bands! Nose bands

The Depron has some local reinforcement and the bands are quite tight (I have a huge supply so they will be replaced each flight) but the advantage is it will keep the nose held down under positive pressure no matter what which a positive latch will not.

The other benefit is the nose will 'give' if the landing is less than perfect! wink 2

Complete showing the temporary wing mounting.Temp wing mount

The big 6mm Depron pad over the wing is to prevent the bands damaging the wing, particularly the very fine trailing edge.

It will need more bands to carry the full battery load but once the correct wing position has been established the wing will be permanently glued in place.

The all up weight is as I hoped almost exactly 15oz (425g) which gives a wing loading of 6.2 oz/sqft.

It flies.

The wing proved to be in the right place so it was glued in position with gives a rather neater installation.

Glued on wing

The prop has been changed from a 7.5x4 to a 9x5.

A rather boring video of its second flight (the first with the glued on wing)

The next is to establish the minimum power it can fly on and then to bench test the batteries at this level to see how long they can supply it.