DH Mosquito - Parkzone's latest offering

Alan Randall

Advert

Posted by Ernie on 21/10/2013 08:23:02:

What's happening to our hobby? The wooden Wonder in plastic foam

ernie

What's happening? Nothing extraordinary I suspect as over the past decades there have been GRP fuselages of Mosquitos, Hurricanes, home builds and other stringered planes. wink

It looks great, but as Bill says it will probably be pricey. I just watched the video of the Durafly Bf110 - same size, with retracts, scale 3 bladed props, looks really nice, all for £125-ish. I forecast the Mossie similarly equipped will be nearer £200. It looks, lovely, but I don't know if I'd want to spend that much.

I can understand folks comparing the price, and generally I'd agree that PZ stuff is on the high side of comfortable to say the least. But having owned, and extensively flown, two of their offerings - the Extra 300 and the Spit - and having at least seen in close up, flown once or twice and certainly seen a lot of people own, FMS and Durafly models; I really don't think we are comparing like with like to be honest. Just based on personal observation I've yet to see someone get the sort of long term, reliable, rugged performance out of one of the later types that I've got out of PZ models - which just go on performing year after year.

I would also add that in my experience the PZ stuff does fly very well indeed straight out of the box and the product has clearly been well developed before being sold - I've not always forund that to be the case with some other manufacturers in this market! wink 2

As I say, just a personal observation.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 21/10/2013 18:22:42

Posted by Ernie on 21/10/2013 19:24:50:

Hi all,

OK, so what do you all think about a minimoa with an electric motor up front? What will the bead counters think of next?

ernie

I think I understand the purists point of view, but personally I don't have a problem with it, it's no worse than the proliferation of large scale glass ships with Turbines mounted up top, or perhaps with a huge prop up front. I think it's a good alternative to aero tow or slope soaring and is becoming more widely acceptable as an alternative. After all, the prop is all but invisible once at altitude.

I tend to agree BEB. I have tried the Durafly T28, but it has never quite had the sorted feel that my PZ Corsair or the beloved Extra 300 has. Plus a flap servo stripped its gears at switch on and the nose leg needs a workshop job with a metal trunnion transplant before it is of acceptable quality.

Alan

Funnily enough, I've probably flown my Durafly T28 more than any other model this year, and had no reliability issues at all. The noseleg is too short, so I've fitted a bigger wheel and trimmed down the prop, but this is a design error rather than build quality. My son and I also have the Vampire, both of which have been faultless. However, I'm prepared to believe that the Parkzone models are excellent, and if confronted by the Mosquito kit I may not be able to resist one as long as the price isn't too silly!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Did anybody buy this? If so did you fit retracts? Im just installing mine now and have a question... I may well be being embarrassingly dim.

Theres the ESC cable pre installed in the wing, theres an aeleron servo wire pre installed, and then there seems to be one more...... whats if for? have they been helpful and pre installed for the retracts, or is it the flaps, or something else?

The extra leads are for the retracts - as you'll have discovered. Can't imagine having this model without the retracts, they make all the difference. Just make sure that the contra-rotation is set up right, with the props on the right way round (don;t ask) and you'll have loads of fun, it;s a brilliant model.