Front lawn 'leckie

riverlandgirl.

Hi all, been a while....

This is my front lawn....

dscf5251 (640x480).jpg

I thought I'd build a plane to fly around it, for when the cows are down, or the river is too high, to use the paddock out the back.

This is what I came up with.

dscf5242 (640x480).jpg

dscf5243 (640x480).jpg

I've christened it "The seal pup" 36" span, 12oz, brushless outrunner of unknown size or make, 8x6 prop (about 8oz thrust.) 500 mah 2c li pol. 3 channel with ailerons and rudder mechanically coupled. Construction is entirely polystyrene and tape, no spars any where. Flies well, very smooth, quite fast, but agile enough to bite it's own tail.

dscf5254 (640x480).jpg

dscf5264 (640x480).jpg

dscf5266 (640x480).jpg

dscf5271 (640x480).jpg

Advert

Thanks for the nice comments. So far the trees have keep their elbows nicely tucked in, which is more than I can say for the granny flat tv aerial!

Andrew. I have'nt drawn anything up yet for it, but would happy to do so and email a pdf of the plans if you are interested.

Simon. Yes the top wing is drooping, no spar! The wing loading is so light it dosen't straighten out in flight! I think that the coupled ailerons/ rudder works well, though would have to uncouple them to be sure. The plane tracks very smoothly through the turns, and you could fly it (mostly) in a 20'box. It may also interest you to note that the tail plane is strongly under cambered, (as are the wings) the added lift being off set by motor up thrust. Again I would have to put a more conventional set up on to compare, but the plane is very pitch stable.

Hi RLG ,

I`ll re post some pictures of the foam build as that seems to be you're preferred medium although the Balsa built up model flies 10 times better due to having a airfoil ,

The foam and depron model flies ok , but you do need to keep the air speed constant due too the flat plate wing stalling out at low speed .

Looking at you're builds i can see no problem with you doing a white foam wing shaped to an airfoil .

Rember if its light it will fly right .

Cheers Steve

Thanks for that Steve, I have another build about to begin, and I'll do your LB special after that. I'm thinking 60 inch, .15 glow, 30 oz at this stage, and yes, she will be foam (with a aero foil)

Thanks again for the nice comments, been to windy for flying! Although we've just moved our work place, and I currently have an empty 60'x40' x20' wharehouse all to my self. Any guesses as to what I'll be doing next week?cheeky

Stephen,

What makes you think that those are "flat plate" wings rather than wings with airfoils? - anyway, obviously lots of fun was had by all, in a very confined space at an almost non existant cost and short build time, - bet the flying time / build time ratio on this machine will be around 10​0:1! What more could you ask for, in order to have a happy timelaugh

PCV.

Thanks Steve, I shall be in touch when I start building, My one and only previous attempt at a tandem flew, but not very well, so I'll be following your design closely!

Hi PCV (sir vere?) lol. Yes had a ball building it, and it cost next to nothing.

Had a couple of dead calm mornings, so I've been putting her through her paces, Put her in a steep bank, and then just hold in full up and she just sits there, doing these tiny tight circles! (loops are something else too)

My next build (the LBS will follow that) will begin in a couple of weeks, something I've never tried before, so should prove entertaining!

Thanks all

Lynn

• 3 months later...