Ever wanted to get into or improve your aerobatics?

Peter Jenkins

You'll just have to turn that AUTO Correction off Willyuk otherwise it might get you in trouble one day! Good to meet you and glad you've picked up some ideas on how and what to improve. Practicing the right thing is so much more useful than practicing the wrong thing! Shall I start next year's NPOD list now?

Peter

I have had a few weekend mornings now practising my loops and rolls - in what seems to be an endless blustery cross wind. Because it has been windy and cold, I have mainly had the strip to myself - so no pressure from others which is really helpful.

Also, following advice above, I have also invested in a transmitter tray and now had about 3 hours stick time and I am just about getting used to it.

One thing I have learnt is that it is much easier to string together a number of rolls if they are performed more slowly, say one roll every 2-3 seconds. This gives you time to observe what is going on and react accordingly. This weekend, I have now managed six consecutive rolls, while keeping more or less a consistent track and altitude. Certainly not competition standard, but a huge improvement - before I would struggle performing 2 rolls without a gap in between them.

Still got some work to do with rudder control in loops - I am constantly over correcting with Rudder and I am also losing elevator position when throttling back at the top of the loop, but again - big loops (as big as the model can cope with while maintaining reasonable airspeed) are the way to learn - (for me at least).

Many thanks for all the input to this thread - its been quite inspirational.

Best wishes

Martyn

Once again Martyn, we seem to be following a similar path. Sounds like you are making a bit more progress than me though! I use this thread for all my guidance - the "advice" I get at the field can sometimes be less than helpful.

One question I have - how stiff do people like their sticks blush

I routinely set 30% Expo and rates that are enough to control rather than over do it yet I do suffer from "interference" as, for example, I move aileron and also get a bit of elevator or vice versa (I am MODE 2)

I was wandering if it is good to increase the tension on the sticks or does this hamper smooth control????

If it is of any help, when I flew comps. I had Orbit sticks on the Prestige gear which were very stiff and had a little play around neutral which allowed me to just lean on the stick for say down or top rudder. Current sticks are much more precise and you cannot do this. When I briefly changed to Simprop the sticks were very light and could not get used to them. I now set the (JR) sticks to maximum tension so that I do not inadvertently add say, elevator to rudder. (I fly mode 1).

Martin Mc

Martyn K,

Set your normal roll rate to three rolls in 5 sec. High rate to three in 3 sec. Get someone to time this for you as it is a very important starting point. You will then get used to the low rate elevator timing input and be able to do it with your eyes closed. From the videos I have seen of CPLR flying F3A the roll rate is very slow.

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum but I have to say I had a brilliant day at the Newmarket NPOD organised by Peter Jenkins .

My first thoughts on submitting my name forward for tuition and then a competition at the end of the day was "Oh my god what have I done "

forget that immediately was my reaction when I arrived at the site .everyone made you feel so relaxed and so welcome. The day consisted of a few rounds of tuition with top aerobatic pilots followed by a competition.

i have learned so much from my one day. Don't fly too fast ,plenty of straight lines ,relax ,listen carefully and just enjoy after all that is what it is all about.

i was ecstatic when I came fourth and I hope to follow on by gaining my B certificate and then maybe entering a competition in the future as I think that is the way forward ...for me ..I love it..

i would urge anyone to have a go as you come away with so much more knowledge and have loads of fun too.

thanks to my mentor of the day Gary Peacock and to everyone who made the day just brilliant.

Linda - Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your fourth place. If you have not already read through this post, there is some useful information to supplement your learning experience at the NPOD covered earlier on. Good luck with your B - I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before we see you at a GBR/CAA competition.

Masher - I agree with Martin - I have my tranny sticks at maximum tension on the springs. There are times when I feel that even stronger springs would help but I think that's down to an injection of adrenaline when things start going wrong! I think it was Doug Spreng of Sprengbrook (a champion aerobatic pilot from way back when) who said, "soft sticks sell transmitters, hard sticks win competitions".

Martyn K - well done on persevering and thanks for the compliments. Yes, flying in blustery cross winds is a great way to increase the amount of flying you get as well as getting you used to the type of weather that seems to afflict competitions.

At yesterday's NPOD, I was approached by one pilot who said that he was going to withdraw as he didn't fly in such wind. I have to say I thought the wind was around 10 - 12 mph with occasional higher gusts. After much persuasion, he had a go and found that he could cope with the conditions and was so delighted that he'd crossed his Rubicon. I would urge those who dislike anything other than the proverbial flat calm to think again, screw up their courage and have a go in ever increasing wind speed. Don't go daft though! It will help you to improve your flying and you can also have a go at cross wind landing technique. Oh, I feel a new topic coming on. Give me a couple of days and I'll put something up or else feel free to contribute if you'd like to share your views.

I attended the NPOD day at Newmarket on Sunday and it was absolutely brilliant! I did indeed feel quite nervous at first as I was first to go up but as soon as I took off, I felt completely relaxed with my mentor, Kevin Caton, guiding me through the Clubman Schedule.

Even though I only had 2 sessions before the competition, it helped my flying immensely. I now know that I need to fly out further and higher than usual to do aerobatics, and remember the straight lines on exits!

I learned so much from that day, and it certainly was shown in practice, as I managed to come 1st in the competition, which I was pleasantly surprised about!

Overall, the NPOD day has improved the way I fly, and it makes me more eager to complete my B test! It was indeed a successful day, coming back with an aircraft intact and a new PA bandit which has yet to be built! I certainly encourage people to attend days like this, as you get so much help and advice and it does improve your flying.

Martin (Masher) if you are going to make the transition from thumbs to finger and thumbs, go the whole hog and get a tray. You will find it helps during the transition and it will have two other benefits. You will find it easier to rest your hand on the tray while you are flying an inverted path - I certainly noticed how much easier it became to hold a steady inverted flight path with the tray. Secondly, you may have noticed that as you get anxious when holding a tranny you tend to twist it towards you restricting the travel you can achieve either with thumbs or thumbs and fingers. The tray allows you to avoid this.

Nat - congratulations on a well earned win. Do press on with your B and if you want any other help, you know how to reach me! Incidentally, Gordon has signed up to fly at the next GBR/CAA competition at the Stansted Club on Saturday 26th April. If you want to come along and see what happens at a full comp let me know.

If anyone else would like to come and watch an F3A competition, especially this one which is being used for GB team selection, please PM me for details.

Peter

Thanks Peter, your advice is welcome and I will see if I can find a tray for my DX8

Yesterday, I increased the tension on my sticks significantly and whilst it felt strange at first (a slight feeling of "lost" control) I was happier after a couple of hours flying.

Anybody got suggestions for a good tray for DX8??

At the moment, I rest my hands on the edge of the transmitter - it feels quite comfortable. You could modify the Banggood tray quite easily - especially if you have some 2mm carbon fibre for the hand rests to match the rest of the tray. Small angle brackets can be added to the side walls if needed. The only downer with the banggood is that access to side sliders may be tricky.

Martyn

Newmarket NPOD

Having been throwing around a Wot 4 at our club field for a while I thought a good way to improve my flying was to try Aerobatics.

I came across the GBRCAA website and wasn't really sure what an NPOD was or what level you needed to be at anyway I thought I'd give it a try and entered and got a place at the NPOD at a great site in Newmarket.

The event was well organised details on how to get there, site entry arrangements were well detailed and everyone was really helpful and keen to encourage the new boys and girls, a mentor was assigned to each pilot which worked really well, the mentors were top F3A pilots who freely gave advice and the benefit of their experiences which was great.

A good days flying was had by all and gave a good taste of flying under competition conditions, flight times were clear so you knew when to fly, having the whole sky to yourself at a really great site was brilliant and much better than flying with 3/4 other models at a typical Sunday at the field and the competition element did focus the mind.

For me this type of flying will help me get more out of this hobby and as a result of the NPOD I have entered my first competition proper in a few weeks' time. My thanks go to all at the GBCCAA for organizing this event particularly Garry Peacock my mentor and Peter Jenkins as Contest Director for his communication and organisation of the day.

I would encourage anyone who maybe considering getting into Aerobatics to give it a go after all the more you put in the more you get out !

Gordon Smith

NPOD NEWMARKET Sunday 13th April 2014.

Well, what can I say. If I'd known what a terrific buzz I was going to get out of this, I wouldn't have wimped on to CD Peter Jenkins and mentor Andy Prime (and anyone else who would listen) about the wind strength. However, if I had been at home, there would have been no way I would have ventured the 20 miles to my normal flying site with a wind like that blowing, let alone try to perform some basic, but regimented regime for the first time!

Peter's disappointed look, Andy's encouraging words and comments from others present were enough to spur me on to give it a try and it was so worth it! I feel empowered to move forward with my flying, but I am not so naïve that I don't realise I have quite someway to go.

So what do you get at one of these events? (or what did we get at this one?)

From the outset, excellent communications with the CD, Peter Jenkins. Clear instructions about the day, the schedule, travelling to the event and updates about the program. Great back-up from a very friendly and accommodating club and group of volunteers.

Also present was an enthusiasm for what was (in Peter's case) a tried and tested method of bringing this type of flying to the fore and allowing relatively inexperienced flyers to have a go.

A properly set-up competition type flight line, the necessary markers both on the ground and out on the field to show where to prepare the aircraft, where to move to prior to flying, the pilots box and not forgetting the all important flying box markers, giving the dimensions of the 'sky' area in which the schedule should be flown. Added to this was the perfect backdrop of the huge flight venue that the Snailwell site offers.

Then there is the provision of a number of experts in the discipline who are prepared to give of their time and undoubted skills to ensure attendees get the most from the day. The emphasis is definitely on learning (we all had different flying abilities to start with) and so there was individual, one to one coaching.

These top pilots also gave displays of what the basic clubman schedule should look like and a final couple of what the top schedules and manoeuvres are from competition.

My mentor was Andy Prime and, having checked my aircraft over, asked me what I wanted to practice in the two sessions prior to the final session of friendly (but deadly serious) competitive round. Having talked things through with him and having put aside my fear of flying a small foamie in the wind, I opted to run through the Clubman schedule, but repeat individual elements as and when they went wrong, with a view to getting the corrections needed (and there were many) as we went along. I have to say it is strange hearing someone giving very precise instructions of "a little right rudder" or "get those wings level with just a click of left trim" as well as calling the next manoeuvre and where to set up the aircraft to execute the next one. It even led to me becoming just a little confused at one point as to which was my left and right, but we soon got over that!

Having got the first flight out of the way, it was so much easier to enjoy the hospitality of the wonderful barbeque provided by even more willing helpers. A chance to talk with some of the others, find out how they were fairing and to learn that they too had similar trepidations if they hadn't yet flown.

With many different types of aircraft being flown, we were all having to cope with the windy conditions, some better than others, especially good were the dedicated F3 class models. Things weren't so bad after all.

With a different flying order in the second round it wasn't long before another trip to the pilot box had to be made and yet more sorting out was needed. By the end of this I was even more determined to take part in the competitive part as the final round was going to be. I had no illusions about coming anywhere near the top. I just had the bug and wanted to see just what I could achieve.

Having scribed for the first two flights of the competitive stage (another great insight into the workings of these events) it was time to prepare the model for the final flight of the day. (One practice round had been dropped because of time constraints on the access to the site, normally there would have been three.)

With Andy, confident, cool, calm and collected once again stood behind me and flying last. I could still hear the words of an interested onlooker who told me that by the time I flew there would be no one watching me as they would all be packing up and going home. It was exactly how I wanted it to be too.

Off we went and barring a few points, (and I hope he won't mind me saying so, but Andy got lost as to where we were in the schedule) we made it through intact. Yes, some of the manoeuvres were somewhat strange shapes, their positioning was bad, they weren't at all like they should have been, but every element was flown to some degree or other. That wouldn't and couldn't have happened if the competition had been in the morning before all the preparations and training flights. In fact, I wouldn't have gotten the plane out of the car!

My youngest daughter always says that "every day's a school day" and this was definitely one. I wasn't looking forward to going, I was unhappy when I got there, but I learned so much in such a short space of time that I came away believing in that other saying "school days are the best of your life!"

Geoff

NPOD NEWMARKET Sunday 13th April 2014. (Part 2)

As my first post was just too long (and I'm sure you all think so too), here is the last piece.

So wherever you live, and whatever your flying skills, if one of these circuses comes to a flying field near you, or you hear about one being organised in your region/area, do what I did, bite the bullet, go along and I'm sure you'll come away knowing more than when you went and with a great big smile on your face.

With grateful thanks to Peter, Andy and all those involved.

Geoff

Geoff

Thanks for the kind words and I'm really pleased that you got so much out of the day. Your enthusiasm shines through - keep it up and get that new bird into the air as soon as you can.

Ultymate - I think one of the biggest problems we have as a hobby is that a very small percentage of ladies take it up. If there is more than one lady reading this thread it would be really helpful to hear what are the issues that stop more ladies from taking up or persisting with the hobby and the competitive side of it. I am well aware that the lack of basic facilities, such as suitable loos, in many clubs are a positive turn off for potential and actual lady pilots. What are the other major hurdles ladies?

Peter

Hi Guys 'n' gals,

just thought Id pop in a drop a few lines as reflection on the day at Newmarket.

Firstly, Peter, what a fantastic start to the F3a season! Your attention to detail of all things organisational is inspiring to say the least. These events need to be driven, otherwise they can degenerate into just another days flying with little gained. It's true to say that a normal days competition is constant in activity, it has to be or otherwise the comp would never get finished largely due to subscription levels of the day. Your event at Newmarket portrayed that element very well and contributed to its overall feel. The two hour drive each way for me and my cousin Dean and his son in law Paul, coupled Chris Bond of www.bondaero.co.uk was well worth it. I know that for Chris and myself at mentors our time was very well spent (measured by our smileometer) with our mentees, alongside the very positive comments from my passengers on our way home who were totally inspired!

Geoff did did amazingly well with his Foam Wot, proving several things, it's ability to fly in a wind, it's suitability to low cost aerobatic tuition but above all low cost fun on the sticks! Mentoring Geoff for the day have me great pleasure, it took me back some 24 years or so ago when I moved on from gliding with my trusty DB Rookie 68 on the slopes of Bradgate Park to my first high wing 3 channel model "The Handyman" which was designed by my Uncle, Peter Greet, on the back of a cornflakes box. Powered by a borrowed OS15 and some Fruitybar Radio I learnt the basics "ALONE" standing in our flying field. They were lonely but enjoyable days for me and progress was painfully slow, but I soldiered on. Seeing everyone enjoying themselves at Newmarket endorsed my lonely efforts back in the day as being truly worth it, allbeit quite limited time wise on the day to really get to grips with some key elements with my mentees. Straight lines is where the key lyes in F3a and if one is for sure, flying a straight line followed by a turnaround manoeuvre at either end (however simple) is going to be one of the most frustrating but rewarding training regimes you will ever put yourself through.

My sincere congratulations to everyone who took to the skies that day, your the reason the mentors came out to play, to the event organisers and host club, be very proud of you contributions and achievements, priceless!

Until next time.....

Andy.

Thought folk might like to see these few images of the Newmarket NPOD that I managed to take between flying and training sessions.

The Flight line

On the flightline

On the flightline

On the flightline

On the flightline

Here is that very foamie!

Thanks for your kind comments Andy, I wonder how many other 60 year old granddads can make a young man feel young again.

Great day and still smiling.

Geoff

Andy - thanks for the kind words. Really pleased you and your passengers enjoyed the day. The important thing is that those who want to move onto full blown competition got a taste of it and the majority indicated that they would like to move to a full competition. Indeed, we have the first two "graduates" from NPODs in East Anglia flying in just over a week at the Stansted Competition. Those who wish to fly in competition and have yet to get their B have also been galvanised to achieve that aim.

Geoff, many thanks for the photos. I hope to get the "official" photos up soon.

For those who have been following this thread without any intention of flying competitively, I would just point out that the pilots who attended this event were regular club pilots who found it fun, provided good camaraderie and gave them a huge boost to their flying skills. What's not to like about that?

Peter