Ever wanted to get into or improve your aerobatics?

Peter Jenkins

Advert

Masher, there was an NPOD at Leicester last year. I don't know if it will be run again this year.  If you are prepared to travel to Newmarket you are welcome to come and observe at that NPOD.  Please PM me if you are interested.

Peter

Edited By Peter Jenkins on 03/03/2014 09:37:31

Posted by Steve Colman on 15/02/2014 18:20:28:

This thread continues to be most interesting and informative.

And now, thanks to some of the more recent posts, I feel more confident that, at the age of 54 and 2/3, I may actually have enough time left to learn and improve my aerobatic flying skills.

Thanks gentlemen.

Steve.

Hello Steve,

Please remove that age thing from your thinking. Last year, my 62nd, saw me make more progress in classical aerobatic flight than for many seasons previously.

The anti-intuitive reason for this was that I decided to learn 3D flight!

Maybe I should explain?

My flight logs tell me that I invested about 20 flights in learning knife edge, by this I mean being able to fly horizontal figure eights in knife edge (either side up with equal diameter circles & no loss of altitude).

Towards the end of the season, I was gratified to see an expert RCM&E columnist suggest mastering this manoeuvre. For me he was spot on.

I am open to anyone else’s input on this, however, my main conclusion is that my rudder control in particular & “tail feather” control in general, has improved a lot.

In a magic way, my fingers have been more deeply trained & can now make better control inputs more automatically.

By more magic, I then found harriers & prop hanging (the next two basics in 3D flight) quite easy – in calmish weather.

My objective this season is “all the above in the wind”.

My other conclusion is “age is no object” which is where I think I started this loop!

Happy flying smiley
Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Now the weather is getting better it is time to dust off the models. At this time of year I do a full check on all my models as follows:

RX Battery - do a full discharge and recharge cycle at least twice to check the capacity.

RX Switch - I change them through out the fleet (even on the ones that I have had the rx bettery disconnected on) black wire or corroded switches may cost you a model, for the price of a switch it is worth changing.

Fuel system - change all the pipe work for new (nitro kill fuel tube) also look at the clunk for pitting.

Airframe - check all the glue joints and covering.

Controls - check the hinges, control rods, servo mounts, servo extensions and servos through their range.

Motive power - check the mountings and on IC's it is worth changing the plug, also give the prop a good once over (I even recheck the balance).

The last bit is at the field - run the engine or motor, to ensure correctly set up and running smoothly, carry out range check and fail safe, then treat the treat the first flight as a test fligh of a new model and land early and recheck the security of all the bits and pieces.

These are just my thought, but these bits have saved a couple of models over the years.

Posted by Peter Jenkins on 25/03/2014 11:17:48:

To set it up properly you do need to borrow or buy an incidence gauge such as this LINK or this LINK.

Yes, setting things up accurately is key in general.

A cheap alternative to an incidence meter is to use your smart phone as described here.

**LINK**

Read to the bottom of the article to see the suggestion for mounting your smart phone, I found the solution very smart! For an Android Smart phone I tried Inclinometer Free, it is OK & advertisement free.

Or you could read this post and remember your trigonometry & have one for free!

**LINK**

Whatever you inclination, enjoy it wink

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

OK - sorry for going quiet for a bit. Work, getting back into flying and sorting out the forthcoming New Pilot Open Day at Newmarket are the reasons.

Having not flown for 6 months, getting back in the saddle was a reminder that it's the basics that you really need to focus on. This despite having the slight angst of a maiden with my new aerobat which happens to be a biplane. While the aircraft flys beautifully, you still need to fly the line accurately when you have cross wind with which to contend. So, while you might think it a bit boring just aiming to fly at a constant distance on a line parallel to your runway is extremely good for getting you a fighting chance when you start flying manoeuvres.

What I was doing was flying a turn round manoeuvre and then just aiming to keep the line of flight consistent in both directions. I alternated between a half reverse Cuban (pull up to 45 deg, pause, roll inverted, pause, pull through a 3/4 loop) and a stall turn at each end of the run. The first few had the aircraft either flying in towards me or away from me.

The trick on the reverse Cuban is to very gently roll the aircraft a small amount as you are flying the 3/4 loop in the direction of the cross wind. So if you have flown right to left with the cross wind blowing into your face, you will have the aircraft facing to the right of the ground tract. As you pull up to the 45 deg climb you should still have the aircraft's nose pointing into the cross wind. After your half roll as you begin the loop you need to roll very gently to the left - so gently that only you know it's happening. This puts a corkscrew motion into the looping manoeuvre which because of the cross wind keeps you flying on the correct ground track. As you level out from the loop you should roll a smidge to the right to level your wings leaving the nose pointing slightly into the crosswind again. You can also use the rudder to achieve this corkscrew movement and just keep the wings level.

For the stall turn, you will need to compensate for both the wind along the flight path and the cross wind component. So if you are doing the stall turn at the down wind end of your box you will need to pitch the aircraft a little beyond the vertical and use rudder to keep the nose pointing into the cross wind. As I stated earlier, this is where there is a difference between the B Certificate rules and aerobatics rules. Always stall turn in the direction that you have tipped the aircraft to hold your correct position against the ground track. On the way down you need to stop the aircraft so that it again is pointing its nose into the cross wind. If you get that angle correct, once you complete your pullout you should end up with the aircraft tracking correctly with wings level.

It is surprising how much more difficult it is to fly a consistent ground track parallel to the runway (or display line) when you have a strong cross wind but even a weak cross wind requires careful handling if you are to make it easier to fly the centre manoeuvres. I sometimes fly 2 or 3 sessions just to get this technique sorted out before going on to any other aerobatic manoeuvres.

How have you been getting on with brushing off the cobwebs after all the wet and windy weather?

Thanks Peter for the latest post. I think that it is often forgoten that skills do dull without practice, your way of working back into your top form is a reminder that no matter how good you are, after a lay off you need start with the basics (the same as you would with a new model) to do your best without killing your confidence or model.

Well, at last, after a few false starts, I managed to maiden my Sebart Angel S30e without incident this morning.

It needed a few clicks of elevator trim for straight and level at around 50% throttle and nothing more. A few circuits and then I was testing inverted and needed a tad of down elevator so CG seems spot on for me at the recommended 140mm for pattern type flying. A few loops, rolls and a half reverse Cuban 8 followed and it was time to land. I lined her up for final approach and she practically landed a perfect three pointer all by herself. Of course I had a great big smile on my face at that point. What a lovely smooth flying model !

A while later I managed a second flight with the same result.

Two flights of 6 min consumed an average of 1291mah from a 2700mah lipo so 8 min could be possible.

So, I am super happy with the Angel and look forward to a great summer of flying her.

For those that like to know my set-up is:

Emax GT 2820/07 with 11x5.5 prop. Turnigy Trust 45A ESC ( I'm a cheapskate )

LIpo 4S 2700 Zippy compact. Power = 480w @ 32A. Model = 1.57kg

Looking forward to tomorrow morning.

Steve.

Well, you can't get a better advert than that for getting a proper aerobatic model. They just fly so well and give you a great feeling of security when you fly them. It's a pity you aren't able to come along to my New Pilot Open Day. Good luck with your future aerobatic flying and remember - try not to fly too low. Low level aerobatics are prone to having woopsies and converting your beautiful aeroplane into a pile of junk!

I had a really enjoyable time at the Newmarket New Pilots' Open Day today. I counted 35 cars and it was great to see lots of enthusiastic new aerobatic pilots flying in quite windy conditions. If anyone felt nervous flying in front of a critical audience then I can assure you it didn't show!

From all the flying I saw I would say the one thing to practise is flying a straight line from one end of the box to the other in each direction. Also many pilots could benefit from reducing aileron throw a little (or try some expo - say 20%) as this helps to stop wing rocking.

Well done to everyone who took part and a big thanks to Peter and the members of Newmarket MFC who worked so hard to make the day a success.

Kevin

Thanks for your contribution to the NPOD today Kevin. Everyone I spoke to about your demonstration of the FAI P and F Schedule were in awe considering how much the wind had blown them out of position. As someone said, "It's as if there's no wind blowing". I hope that some of the participants will add their thoughts of the day here and what they took away as their key learning points.

Peter

I would like to add my thanks to that of Kevin. I went along only to observe, being a novice sort of flyer ( despite my advancing years) and I now have a good idea of what I need to aim for, not to compete but to consider myself competent. Maybe at the end of this summer I will be ready for an noodle in 2015.

thanks to Peter and the nmfc

regards

Al