Ever wanted to get into or improve your aerobatics?

Peter Jenkins

Advert

Hi Geoff,

Have you recovered yet? Time to get started again. I lost two models within a week, both due to unexplained radio failure, I was gutted particularly as one was a real favorite. I think I was just about in tears when I did the long walk with the plastic bag. As they shared only one component, the transmitter I ditched it and bought a new one AND a new aerobatic model to practise with. It is worth it, dont' give up, I've just started practise to do the B this year and I was hoping to hear how you got on.

Hi Willyuk,

no, recovery is a long process, but has started with offers to re-build the model and my dear, very understanding wife saying I can look for a replacement in case the re-build doesn't turn out a '6million dollar' plane or a 'Phoenix' to rise from the ashes!

The eyes were certainly burning and I'm glad I could do the walk with someone so calm, although just as distraught.

As the gear is tried and trusted from a previous model, just transferred, as I thought it best to use 6 channel instead of my 4's in this instant. Horizon Hobby couldn't explain the tests results on the phone and are looking into it. Rx sent off to them.

I don't want to start with a new transmitter when what I have is adequate for purpose at present. On the strength of one problem, I wouldn't throw it away anyway.

Although the initial tantrum is to give up, I'm not going to, and will continue to practice the 'B' with my Acro-Wot for now. I intend to join GBRCAA, go along to some more comps. to assist if I can, I'm still hooked and Peter is still going to organise something at our club as a number of us have the bug now.

Keep in touch and we'll see how things progress.

Good on you Geoff, we have all had our ups and downs; I smashed my first Monolog after hitting a bird (I was part way through a roll at the time), it was a horrid sight and I thought about the expense of a new airframe and the time lost sorting things out, but Peter got me going again. Thanks Peter.

Posted by "L"Plate on 24/03/2015 10:53:47:

Good on you Geoff, we have all had our ups and downs; I smashed my first Monolog after hitting a bird (I was part way through a roll at the time), it was a horrid sight and I thought about the expense of a new airframe and the time lost sorting things out, but Peter got me going again. Thanks Peter.

Getting over it. Can't stay down in the dumps forever.

Shame there are no others available (in the world) it seems to scrounge parts as wings and tail OK, as is motor and all electrics (I hope)

Not in market for anything new yet until the internal investigation has begun in earnest.

I'll be back!

EG

Geoff,

I think the hobby king ionis ( or something like that) as mentioned by Peter in an earlier post is a rebadged monolog. That's probably why the original is not available, they sold the design maybe?

So maybe that's a possible to for you to get airborne again?

Posted by Willyuk on 25/03/2015 08:10:51:

Geoff,

I think the hobby king ionis ( or something like that) as mentioned by Peter in an earlier post is a rebadged monolog. That's probably why the original is not available, they sold the design maybe?

So maybe that's a possible to for you to get airborne again?

Hi Willyuk,

it's a larger version. Bears a big resemblance to mine, but is heavier, longer and wider, needs a larger engine AND is more expensive than the cost of my Monolog, but a possibility.

My Monolog went into surgery today and it appears that the stbd side is pretty damaged from cowl to aft of the cockpit area, but that the port side is intact, including the battery tray area giving something to 'hang everything back onto and a possible solution to repair without to much weight gain.

It may be a long job as my mentor and model re-builder is off on holiday this weekend, but at least we've begun the process by discovering all the breaks and a re-build plan.

I still await the prognosis on the Rx from HH, and an explanation of what happened if they find no fault then has to be found.

Meanwhile, I've been looking for a cheap, but useful alternative to continue training in the interim period and happened upon the HK Arcus (**LINK** which Peter and Chris Bond both mention on page 25 of this massive thread, but nothing more came of it from either or anyone else who might have bought one.

Does anyone have anything to say on this matter, they offered a special one off price earlier of £99 something and it looks attractive.

I can just afford this and the repairs and have a spare Rx that needs something to fly.

EG

Geoff,

I have the Arcus and it's a cracking little plane for the money. Goes together really quickly and the fit of all parts is very good. I stiffened up the aileron control rods with a sleeve of CF tube but apart from that the model is stock. Landing gear is sufficient for the job albeit a little soft. Paint comes off easily around the hatch area and the hatch itself isn't all that secure, but these are minor points given how well the model flies.

If you're interest is pattern type flying then I'd suggest lowering the suggested control throws significantly. I'm a reasonably experienced pilot but found the throws way too high for me. My HR are somewhere in the order of the LR suggested in the manual.

Also pays to dedicate some time/flights in setting up CG to your liking. Once all is done it is a lovely little model; responsive without being twitchy ( see comment re rates), tracks well for it's size, and seems born to knife edge.

Along with my Multiplex Acromaster the little Arcus is becoming one of those models that always seems to find a little space in the car when going to the field.

Posted by Steve Colman on 27/03/2015 08:07:06:

Geoff,

I have the Arcus and it's a cracking little plane for the money. Goes together really quickly and the fit of all parts is very good. I stiffened up the aileron control rods with a sleeve of CF tube but apart from that the model is stock. Landing gear is sufficient for the job albeit a little soft. Paint comes off easily around the hatch area and the hatch itself isn't all that secure, but these are minor points given how well the model flies.

Thanks for this vote of confidence Steve.

Allied to all the good reports on other sites, I think I'll give it a go for the interim period.

Thanks

EG

Hi Peter iv been saving to replace the JetCat 100 RX i lost in a crash a while back but we have been limited to about 4 months a year that we can fly from our site,by the birdie people angry

So iv just been talking to Seba at SebArt about an f3a model, hes given me a good price for the MythoS 125 so im going to buy that instead with a Hacker A60-7xs and 8s 5000 lipos, and some change laugh

Anybody got any experience with this set up on here

Thanks

Tony

Mythos 125 is very a nice flier indeed and that set up will be fine although many do run the Mythos on 10s as it is a big aeroplane and not as light as some.

If you are looking at using 8s packs rather than 2x 4s then make sure your charger has the capability to charge 8s

The Turnigy G110 295kv is hard to beat on 8s for the money also

Well, I hope those of you who participated in the Skelbrooke NPOD will find the time to record your feelings of taking part in the event and how you found it as an experience. I see that Martyn Kinder has decided to give competition a go this year. I do hope Martyn, that we'll see you flying some of your classic airframes as they will all cope quite well with both Clubman and Intermediate schedules.

It would be good to post a picture or two and let those who will be flying in the NPOD at the Raydon & District MAC on 26th Apr know how you found it.

Peter

For those who are interested, I'm running a new to aerobatics pilot open day at the Raydon & District MAC. The entry list is full but if you would like to come along and see what goes on at these events you are very welcome to do so. The Club will have a BBQ and there will be plenty of opportunity to talk to the pilots flying in the event and their mentors who are experienced aerobatic pilots.

The event will take place, weather permitting of course, on Sunday 26th April at the Raydon Club. The site is on the old Raydon Airfield in Suffolk south of Ipswich. Take the Capel St Mary exit off the A12 and head toward Great Wenham. Once you have gone through Gt Wenham heading south turn right at these coordinates 52°00'08.6"N 1°00'00.6"E or else click on this link which will take you to the Google Maps page showing this marker.

Turn right at the marker on the map, and head to the NW until you reach the old runway and then turn right to travel NE towards the Raydon patch which you will see on the RHS.

Flying will commence at 10 am with a demonstration of the Clubman schedule by an experienced aerobatic pilot and then the new pilots will fly, one at a time, till the late afternoon, when we will hold a single flight competition for the participants.

Peter

Posted by Geoff Reynolds on 22/03/2015 19:57:38:

Well, that has to be the shortest period I’ve ever flown a new plane. Three Friday, two and a bit today! The Monolog crashed this afternoon and is in a pretty bad way...........

Not sure if it can be saved and was the last of its kind I believe.

Devastated.

Great news! A club mate took the fuselage away and has completely re-built it for me. Eventually finding 17 breaks throughout the fuselage. He has just returned it to me and I'm so chuffed with it! If you'd never seen the original, you'd be very hard pressed to tell that it wasn't all just out of the box.

Yes, there are some subtle colour and trim changes, but Oh my, I can't wait to get the NEW radio installed and set about trimming and setting it up again.

What a difference 4 weeks has made, he's worked extremely hard and it comes out only 10 g heavier than originally.

I still haven't flown the Arcus replacement, so it may never get an airing now!

EG

• 2 weeks later...

The HobbyKing Ionos has been mentioned as a possible Monolog copy. The HK May day sale has the Ionos reduced to £98 - and if you hover for a one time only offer, you can get it for £90 - impossible to ignore, mine is ordered!

Deleted link 'cause it shows my email - just look up Ionos on HK UK site

Edited By Masher on 01/05/2015 08:46:46

Well I bought mine from UK warehouse this morning for £90 plus postage!

Sorry, just can't post the link without HK remembering and including my email address.......................but I didn't make it up, honest

Edited By Masher on 01/05/2015 10:45:23

Edited By Masher on 01/05/2015 10:46:30