Pick a plane 2008

Advert

Oh well, ho hum, guess I'll have to wait to next year, can't win em all

Yes, ho hum, another Hurricane plan to join the four already in the plan section but I forgot you have to pay for those dont you?....................... a single engined fighter has to be something special to fire my interest and an aircraft at the end of its developement line that popped rivets at full power just dosnt do it I am afraid,

regards,         Terry

Believe it or not I agree with you. Why do we want another single engined fighter? Why not a nice twin that hasn't been modeled much?

The simple answer is that when we voted, we all voted for what we see as nice aircraft but when we voted for the lesser known aircraft we didnt put pictures next to them and so unless you were willing to go and search the internet you didnt get to see what those aircraft looked like!

I believe that the voting should be done in rounds, something like

what type of aircraft should Tony build?

Then people have a choice of Military, passenger, experimental light aircraft etc

This would determine which catagory the majority of people would like to see.

Then if for example Military won, then the next vote would be for example Jet, prop, rocket or glider and any other that I missed etc

Then the next round I would ask people to post their 3 favorites in the winning catagory with a picture or link next to each vote. this way all the people can immediately see what the plane looks like and whether its worth voting for.

Until we post pics with our votes the unknown aircraft will never get a look in.........The SO30 P for example. Google it under images see what you think. And for all those of you that cant be bothered well Ill post o picture of it tonight.    I wonder how many will bother.   Thats why the Hurricane won!

Al

To me the Hurricane does hold a place in history and was more numerous than the Spitfire in the B.o.B but there are already a dozen or more plans for it out there and readily available but you have to pay for them, there is also the finacial aspect that you only need one motor, one ESC etc so a Hurricane will work out cheaper than a Mosquito to fit out.

The Hurricane was 2/3rds Hart/Fury with a bigger power unit and no upper wing and this is why it just could not have been developed any further unlike the Spitfire that was just starting out in life in 1940, it did an excellent job alongside the Spit in the B.o.B but only just, another year and it would have been ripped to bits by later marks of Me 109.

I have just paid ten quid for a Nick Ziroli plan of the He 100 which would have given us far more trouble if it had replaced the 109 during the B.o.B because it was a good 40 mph faster than the Spit 1A and would have gone through the Hurricanes like I go through a tube of Pringles,

regards,        Terry

I'm really pleased too see Hurricane as winner. Yes, it's another warbird. But it's a rare one.

Many of You claim that there are lots of Hurricane kits on the market. I got the April issue of RCM&E today and a quick check gave result: None. Not at Steve Webb, not at Sussex Model Centre, not at Al's Hobbies. In fact no Hurricane at all. I might have missed somewhere, but I couldn't see anyone in the ad's.

I'm looking forward to  build this one. I'm shure it'll fly as well as the Mosquito does. 

Not so much kits for the Hurricane but if you look in the RCM&E plans section there are at least four sets of plans available there plus a few for free off the internet then there is Traplet (spit) which have a few more.

*I'm really pleased too see Hurricane as winner. Yes, it's another warbird. But it's a rare one.*

There is nothing rare about the Hurricane, its as common as dog poop on the playing field, not many of the real thing left but thousands of models out there,

regards,          Terry

Fine, I want a Mossie, so I am doing my own for 2xYS 63 at about 15% scale, but how can I get the official drawings similar to the Lanc. ones which I got from M.A.P. please Graham A.Hi Graham,                       same problem here with one or two German aircraft I am interested in, the Me 410, FW 187 to mention but two big twins.I was looking for plans for the Arado 240 but I have found a set at 1:20 scale that will stand redrawing to 1:12 when I have time, at present everything is in limbo while we kick this house into shape and sell it then get sorted at the new place.Bought a big modern office desk with five drawers almost new for 25 quid off eBay for a workbench and 300 quids worth of draughtsmans chair for thirty, already have my drawing board so will soon be in production again once I find somewhere to work.Have also found plans for the Mansyu Ki-98 and XP-67 Bat which should be interesting, there are very few aircraft that interest me that I do not have plans for now so my model making future is assured...;-),                               regards,          Terry

Barry you have failed us!

Although not my favourite plane, I at least thought a 45 -50" ish, model Whirlwind had merit. The Lysander, would have interested me and I really would have liked a Stuka.

Unfortunately the Hurricane leaves me cold. It has been done to death. I even have some free plans for the model. The body is so ugly, laking the elegance of many earlier Hawkers, the nose looks like a kids drawing, slightly hunch backed. At least the wing is OK.

Barry, Barry, Ohhh Barry, what went wrong!

I guess that will be two issues I will not be buying, unless you excel in other areas.

A very disappointed

Erfolg

Graham, it was actually me who asked for the plans, my message seems to be mingled with the one from Terry!

I have a duplicated plan for a Mk VI Mozz with the Ta 154 on the other side if you want it, somehow I ended up with two copies and they  have been drawn by Tony at 38'' span for the Mk VI,  meant to have 2 x Speed 400's but easily converted to brushless.If you want them at a different scale just find a decent reprographics shop and have them rescaled, I think this is legal as long as you only make one copy and it is for your own personal use, we have enough pirated crap on eBay without adding to it I think,                    

regards,         Terry

Got the plans for the Lockheed XP-67 Bat this morning, very complicated structure as the fuse and engine nacelles are all part of the wing centre section but in another way it is useful as you can make the outer wing panels detachable and no electrical connections to make or break.

The Mansyu Ki-98 plan is quite old and although detailed needs enlarging to 1:10 to make a decent model, very much like the Vampire with a pusher prop and not so fat in the fuselage, should perform well with a couple of hundred watts, also got a nice plan for a 325'' span FW 189 for four quid but it will need beafing up a bit for electric power as it was meant for rubber power  but I hear that Condoms knotted together make a good source of power if you cant find anything else.....

regards,            Terry

Errrrr........yes and no Marcus, should be 35'' which is about 1:12 scale, as to the J21 there is a marked simularity in the two designs and it is amazing that two companies half a world apart can come up with an almost identical design and this has happened a few times in aviation history,

regards,            Terry

Concorde comes immediatly to mind, first the French, perhaps not suprisingly. The Russians and the USA are the others.

I understand that the French were inspired by the Fairy FD2, which operated out of Bordeux for  a time, having secure hanger space, supervised by Dassault. Both the UK and USA had their German high speed and delta experts, Lippisch for the USA and Bussemann for the UK, from what I have read.

I wonder what inspired the Russians along the path?

Erfolg