Fret Saw or Coping Saw

Advert

Well Ian its all a matter of size! Coping saws generally have thicker, stronger and coarser blades than a true fretsaw. In practice many of the so-called "fretsaws" for sale are actually coping saws!

Personally for our use I would always choose a coping saw for the sort of work we do - the fretsaw is really only for very delicate and intricate work on very thin materials and you'll spend half your time replacing broken blades if you start sawing 4mm+ ply with it!

BEB

PS - get a range of blades from 12tpi upwards.

PPS Oh - and don't forget - they cut on the back stroke unlike most other saws!

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 04/12/2013 16:47:07

Buy the Coping saw.
I have never yet used my hand fretsaw for aeromodelling, but often a coping saw....
However I sometimes use a Piercing saw ( Jewellers saw) which uses a fretsaw blade if I need to do any fine work. The piercing saw is much easier to use than a fretsaw- it's CG is different!
If you get a coping saw make sure you use ( or at least try it ) it as a pull saw - that is teeth facing handle so it cuts on the pull stroke. Much easier to cut straight to the line.
Anyway Axminster sell a coping saw for about 4 pounds and a fretsaw for about 6 pounds so it's not too dear to have both.
The best quality fretsaw bldes are a bit flexible and dont break very easily. Make sure you buy good quality coping saw blades too.
But my advice is to just get a coping saw and save the fretsaw money in case you feel a power fretsaw is needed.
Whatever saw practice is needed to become proficient. Better to have 1 saw which you are expert with than 3 you cannot really saw straight with!

Just to confuse the issue. I used Fret saws for about 30 years. Have had a power scroll saw for the last 30 years.

Coping saws use coarser blades which tear the back of the wood.

Buy a selection of blades, coarser for 1/4 ply and finer for the thinner ply.

I use a power scroll saw these days but still feel that there is use for the hand fret saw.

The U shape of the fret and coping saws are usually different. The Fret saw much longer than the coping saw. This means that a fret saw can cut in the middle of a large piece of wood.

BUT

Some coping saws are made so that you can rotate the blade, and so cut in any direction.

A powered scroll saw is good. Especialy if it has a flexible shaft so that it can act like a dremmel.

Plummet

That's a good tip from BEB and works on formica covered boards too. However I have never found splintering a problem with a coping saw ( although depends a bit on wood quality - birch ply is best ) I wondered whether using the coping saw as a pull saw made the difference.....so a quick workshop test revealed a clean cut as a pull saw But splintering crossgrain when same blade used as push/ conventional saw! It seems the resistance to the wood buckles the blade when in compression but not when it's in tension as a pullsaw.. This buckling causes more splintering. This is the reason a pullsaw cuts straighter/ to the line. Try it for yourself.

Used as a pullsaw it may be convenient to use a fretsaw " V " and mounting the V in an engineers vice may give a convenient height too.   My photo shows it used in a Workmate ( for seated use)  and it's actually a piercing saw being used on this occasion.

Fretsawing

Fretsaw Vee

Edited By kc on 05/12/2013 12:01:13