first build in balsa, some help neaded.

Mouse

Hi all

I have only been into flying for less than 6 months but early on I decided that I would like to build a plane of my own to fly.

With this in mind I recently brought a cheap balsa kit to practice on, to help me learn how to read plans and to see if I have the skills etc... however I have only just started and have run into two problems, the first is that the plans say to build one fuselage side on top of the plan and then build the other side on top of that and when dry split them apart.

my first question is surely if the glue joint is good then it should not be able to come apart or do I put something like tape etc. between to stop them sticking to each other ????.

Secondly the glue I was sold with the kit does not seem that good, it is UHU hart but it seems to take a long time to dry, normally a couple of hours which when gluing wing ribs is a right pain, is this right as the instructions seem to be in German.

Is there another faster glue or do I just need to take it easy and slow down a bit ??.

Sorry forgot to say I will not be flying this plane.

Thank you

Bill.

Edited By Mouse on 10/12/2013 18:55:14

Advert

Hi Mouse,

Glad you've decided to get into building as well as flying!

With the fuselage sides, you lay a sheet of clear polythene over the first before starting the second on top of the polythene. Some people like to use the backing sheet from covering film for this purpose although I find that I can get sheets of polythene from my local hardware store quite cheaply and they work perfectly well for me.

As for the glue, there are lots of different types. Personally, I use slower drying glues as much as I can - Deluxe Materials' Aliphatic Resin is my favourite - and I even use it for wing ribs, holding them in place with pins while the glue dries. An alternative glue is cyanoacrylate - superglue - which you can get in different consistencies from your local model shop. Trade names to look for are Zap and Rocket, although there are others. I use Zap medium and thin quite a lot. The medium takes slightly longer to set than the thin stuff but setting times are still measured in seconds rather than hours. Of course the downside with rapid setting glues is that you only get one chance to position the part accurately. Once set, they are also less flexible than their slower setting cousins - these two reasons are why I prefer the Aliphatic Resin.

Jim

Hi Bill

Take Jims advice to use film between the two sides....UHU Hart is balsa cement and is a least as good as any adhesive for this job because it was designed to stick.....well.....balsa!. If it is taking more than 15mins to set then there is something wrong. I wonder how long it's been on the shelf. I would be tempted to return it to the shop and complain if it's taking 2hrs.

Andrew

Bob and Tim seem to have the right idea.

I use aliphatic glue and allow it to dry overnight then I build the other side over the first, again allowing it to dry overnight. I've never bothered with any sort of barrier between the two sides in the past, so both sides are stuck together at the glue joints. When the second side is dry I've always lifted both sides from the plan and sawed them apart with a bread knife!

In future I'll use the Sellotape tip. embarrassed

Sellotape works great, anywhere you don't want two parts to stick together. thumbs up

If you want to make really, really sure, One piece can be stuck on the already built structure, then another, (unsticky side to unsticky side) can be used to place the parts on that you're building up. Not usually necessary, but I've been using this technique while constructing parts that need to be a snug sliding fit, one inside the other.

Same question Bill. Why not fly the plane? Having this as a goal focuses the mind on all the good disciplines such as lightness, strength, accuracy and should ultimately lead to a really good sense of achievement. I have a sort of mission and that is that all my models have to fly or at least attempt a flight once, hopefully ending up in one piece. I have two small models on the go (both Guillows kits) and once they have flown once they are destined to become ornaments. They will however always have been real aircraft first.

Hi all

Thank you for all the reply's and advice, I particularly like the one about using superglue to start with and then p.v.a,and also the many votes for sellotape.

The reason that I was not going to fly the plane is because it only has a wingspan of 18 inches ( it is a Eastbourne monoplane) and is designed for rubber power, (even though the box says electric as well ????), and I was not intending to cover it, however after what has been said I think I will now give it a go and have at least one flight.

I was thinking at one point about getting the plan enlarged and trying to cut the parts myself to make a larger model but it seems to be designed for fixed wings which would be a problem to transport.

Mouse.

Well, you learn a new idea every day. Never thought of using Sellotape before but it sounds brilliant.

Have not used balsa cement in years. Deluxe products Aliphatic resin is my choice. If using balsa cement it is a good idea to precement the joints.

You apply glue to both surfaces and allow it to dry, the apply a second coat and join the parts, This makes a much stronger joint.