RC flying in Cardiff

Graham Trimby

Hi, I am in my 30s and live in the Cardiff area in the UK. I fly RC planes, have about 10 of them and am completely obsessed with it. I’m not a very good pilot but really enjoy flying. I’ve been doing this by myself for about a year now because I don’t know many other people who are into this hobby. I would love to fly informally with like minded people so thought it would be a good idea to post this request on a few different forums. I know there are a few formal clubs in the Cardiff area but want to fly as part of a group with no club membership fees and no requirement to be in the bmfa. I understand that my request may annoy some people but want to say that I really don’t want to offend anyone and am definitely not trying to push my point of view. Formal clubs are a great idea for many people, it’s just that I don’t want to be a member on the bottom rung of a club hierarchy who is expected to do what they’re told. I just want to have a laugh with like minded people.

Basically, if you are part of a group of people like this, close to Cardiff who regularly go flying, I would greatly appreciate it if I could join you. If this is ok, please let me know by posting a response or emailing me at [email protected]

I understand that the kind of group I am looking for may not exist near Cardiff so please also email me if you are interested in being part of a group of like minded people to meet up and go flying on weekends. I will post this same message on a few different forums and if enough people are interested in doing this, I will try to bring us all together. Even if you don’t fly but have always wanted too, you could be part of this group and hopefully there will be enough of us to help give you the advice you need to get started as cheaply as possible without any commitments.

PS: I am a big fan of youtube channels: FliteTest and RCModelReviews. If you are new to RC planes, just interested or even an old hand in RC, you need to check FliteTest out! I have also recently started watching spocktra50 who are hilarious

Advert

Hi Graham,

Welcome to the forum. An interesting first post and I'm sure it will prompt more than a few responsessmile

I'll mention just two points as an opener. Firstly, whilst there's certainly no compulsion on anyone to join the BMFA, you don't make any mention of insurance - how does that sit with an unregulated group of fliers? Do you expect all to negotiate their own?

Secondly, flying sites. They're not that easy to come by and there's always the chance that planning permission may be required. If that's the case, the local authority will expect some degree of organisation and may wish to impose noise limits and other conditions. Again, that doesn't seem to sit easily with 'having a laugh with like minded people'

TBH, I can't help feeling your suggestion may be greeted with some alarm by those in existing clubs in the Cardiff area. Those clubs have probably had to work pretty hard to gain, or maintain acceptance, with the non-flying public in respect of their activities. If your activities, and I'm not suggesting they will, create an adverse reaction from the public or local authority, the powers-that-be may well not differentiate between the two groups....

Pete

No problem with folks that want to go it alone - but certainly with respect to the club I'm in (and I'm sure its true of many others) I'm not sure what the difference is between a group of like minded individuals getting together to fly and a club? The former sounds very like the latter to me!

Anyway - it takes all sorts, aeromodelling is a broad church, and so good luck to you - I really mean that; I hope you are sucessful. But I would strongly advice insurance though if you haven't got it - if not through BMFA then though some other channel. Flying without third party insurance really is taking crazy, and totally unnecessary, risks with your property - and I mean all your property - house, car the lot!

BEB

Hi Pete and thanks for the welcome. I’m not looking to set up a club but meet up with other people informally so insurance would be entirely up to the individual.

There are a number of flying sites I can think of but am totally up for suggestions.

I have total respect for the clubs running in Cardiff and don’t want to step on any toes. If complaints or issues were to be raised, I’d be willing to look elsewhere. I also don’t want to damage the reputation of RC flyers.

Thanks Dave for the list of clubs. I’d not been able to find such a comprehensive list myself so will definitely look into some of these options.

Hi Biggles, With regards to the difference between clubs and like minded individuals: I perceive that there are a lot of expectations and financial commitments with a club e.g. having to pay for membership before I’m ready to commit to a particular club; having to do a test to not require close supervision; having to buy a transmitter that is compatible with other club members for buddy boxing, having to wait for someone to be available to supervise me etc…

As I said, I'm not looking to set up any club and would much perfer to find a group of like minded individuals already doing what I'm looking for. However, would be willing to bring a group of like minded individuals together if there are other people out there looking for a similar thing.

Edited By Graham Trimby on 20/12/2013 09:38:34

hi graham , pity you weren't in the north east , because what you require ie exactly what we do , we have around 8 people now who regularly meet up whenever we can , and just have a laugh , lots of fast stuff , and lots of noisy stuff . No fun police here me'lad , and noone standing behind you with a decibel meter , no one saying hey you cant do that , or you must do this .

We have an absolute blast , its the main highlight of the week for us . Now before I get accused of being a skallywag , and an unsafe person , we do fly safe , but its basically not rocket science , everyone knows what we can and musnt do , without it being rammed down our necks .

Having said that I may he joining bmc because I want to fly at albermarle barracks in newcastle , lots of big stuff , and some nice turbine jets .

Graham have you ever visited any of the local clubs if not can I suggest you do.

Most of the rules a club put in place are only there for safety and to take into account of the ant affect the club activities may have on people in the area

you may find it is more relaxed than you imagine

Hi Graham,

I used to do exactly what you are looking for here in Bristol. A group of us used to meet up on the Downs and fly. It is a huge bit of common land, so all are welcome. It has kind of disappeared now, but there are often lone fliers up there. Everyone however flies electric though for safety reasons. Having a large lump of metal hitting someone walking their dog is really bad news.

Speaking of which, I would seriously consider BMFA membership simply for the 3rd party liability insurance. £32 for 'Country Membership' is really worth it, and the year starts in Jan 1st.

I used to fly with no insurance when I first got going, and was flying little depron foamy planes and very lightweight polystyrene (before the days of EPO etc.). I was flying off common land with a few people who also didn't want to join an official club. Only a couple had BMFA membership as they didn't want the cost. One afternoon a family came over whilst walking their dog to watch us. One of the chaps started up his glow engine Piper Cub and sent it down the field. He thought he was using 2.4gHz but actually his Cub was still on 35mHz and he didn't pull the ariel out. Long and short of it was, if it was going to hit anyone, it was going to hit one of the people watching - and it did! The plane hit a 12 year old girl square in the legs. She tried to jump out the way (which was lucky) and missed the prop, but the wings hit her. She ended up with some nasty cuts on her legs. Ambulance came and took her away, and within a week this chap found himself with a visit from the police and letters of civil action. He had no insurance and ended up having to pay almost £3,000 in damages and fees. £32 would have been a better investment.

Ever since then, I have never flown without being a BMFA membership and never will. Not even flying a foam park flier because it still has a prop, it still can go out of control, and still can blind or injure someone if it hits them. Don't also think that if you are flying on private land you are safe because planes fly off and out of sight. Who knows what it will hit when it lands.....and it will land!

Basically, I am all for having fun and messing about. Do what ever you want and fly what you want, but for the sake of £32 saving to NOT be insured, I wouldn't want to fly in the same group as you incase something goes wrong and someone gets hurt.

On another note, all the clubs in the Bristol area are very very friendly, and most operate a "club certificate" which means you can fly in their club unsupervised once you have proved you can turn your model on and off without cutting your arms open, have a basic level of knowledge that throttle up means motor spins and which controls do what, take off and land safely, and most importantly know about the consequences of using 2 TX on the same 35mHz band (if your club is not 2.4 exclusive).   If you can do that without killing yourself or anyone else, most clubs will let you fly.  And the fun part of standing talking to 'like minded people' isn't going to be anymore obvious than when you are at a club field with a manicured runway surrounded by hundreds of models and people flying them...........however this does cost unfortunately.

Edited By Jeff-C on 22/12/2013 21:42:20

Posted by Jeff-C on 22/12/2013 21:35:20:

Hi Graham,

I used to do exactly what you are looking for here in Bristol. A group of us used to meet up on the Downs and fly. It is a huge bit of common land, so all are welcome. It has kind of disappeared now, but there are often lone fliers up there. Everyone however flies electric though for safety reasons. Having a large lump of metal hitting someone walking their dog is really bad news.

Speaking of which, I would seriously consider BMFA membership simply for the 3rd party liability insurance. £32 for 'Country Membership' is really worth it, and the year starts in Jan 1st.

I used to fly with no insurance when I first got going, and was flying little depron foamy planes and very lightweight polystyrene (before the days of EPO etc.). I was flying off common land with a few people who also didn't want to join an official club. Only a couple had BMFA membership as they didn't want the cost. One afternoon a family came over whilst walking their dog to watch us. One of the chaps started up his glow engine Piper Cub and sent it down the field. He thought he was using 2.4gHz but actually his Cub was still on 35mHz and he didn't pull the ariel out. Long and short of it was, if it was going to hit anyone, it was going to hit one of the people watching - and it did! The plane hit a 12 year old girl square in the legs. She tried to jump out the way (which was lucky) and missed the prop, but the wings hit her. She ended up with some nasty cuts on her legs. Ambulance came and took her away, and within a week this chap found himself with a visit from the police and letters of civil action. He had no insurance and ended up having to pay almost £3,000 in damages and fees. £32 would have been a better investment.

Ever since then, I have never flown without being a BMFA membership and never will. Not even flying a foam park flier because it still has a prop, it still can go out of control, and still can blind or injure someone if it hits them. Don't also think that if you are flying on private land you are safe because planes fly off and out of sight. Who knows what it will hit when it lands.....and it will land!

Basically, I am all for having fun and messing about. Do what ever you want and fly what you want, but for the sake of £32 saving to NOT be insured, I wouldn't want to fly in the same group as you incase something goes wrong and someone gets hurt.

seems like a good advert for joining a club

One of the main reasons for being in a club is the site. It is set up for safe flying and you don't get harassed by objectors who think their use of common land takes priority over yours

but I hope you find somewhere suitable you can enjoy your flying

Edited By Phil 9 on 22/12/2013 21:44:36

Graham, I know that from what you have said that you are not entirely convinced that joining a club is a good idea. You are looking to find a suitable piece of land to operate from but do remember that once you are in the air you are flying your model in national airspace that is regulated by the Civil Aviation Authority. They have rules that govern the use of the air by all aircraft (models included). If you fly you a model aircraft you must be aware of any controlled airspace and its location and controlling heights. Local Authorities will not necessarily know this so you might find that a nice piece of common ground is actually within the aerodrome traffic zone of a nearby airfield. Also, there may be a height restriction which might not be relevant if you fly small foamies but if you graduate to larger models i.e. above 7 Kgs all up weight, you are limited to a maximum height of 400 feet unless you have negotiated a different height with the relevant Air Traffic Authority. Remember that full size aviation is allowed to operate from 500 ft above ground level where there are no other air traffic regulations and it can be difficult sometimes to assess the difference in height between a full size aircraft and a model aircraft.

Many people think that the BMFA introduces a lot of unneccesary rules but in truth many stem from the need to abide by the Rules laid down by Parliament concerning the use of UK airspace. Having a laugh with like minded people is fine provided it doesn't land you in the soup. Some points to consider in order to avoid falling foul of the law of the land.

Hi Graham - interesting idea but I have to endorse most of the points above. Where on earth would you find a suitable site near Cardiff that isn't already in use by a club? Flying sites in South Wales are few and far between unless you know something I don't. I know of many sites that appear suitable at first look, then you find out about power lines, houses, roads, railway lines etc. which render them totally unsuitable. A site that is marginally usable by a lone flyer may be totally out of the question for regular use by a group, club or not.

You say that you don't want to be on the bottom rung of a club and be told what to do. That isn't how clubs work. Fliers aren't graded for their flying or building skills. Whether you want to turn up with a tatty model (as long as it's airworthy) and fly only circuits (as long as they are flown safely) or a brilliant own-design scale model with which you fly a fantastic aerobatic schedule, you'll be welcome at most.

I fly at two sites, one is with a club (Gaer Park MFC at Marshfield between Newport and Cardiff), the other is a group that rents a field from a farmer, but is not a "club" in the sense that there is no committee and no rules (other than shut the gate behind you and use common sense at all times). Each has advantages and disadvantages but these concern the sites not the other fliers. Both have a good atmosphere and beginners or experienced flyers are equally welcome.

I don't have direct experience of the clubs in Cardiff (there are several) but I strongly recommend that you join one of them rather than going it alone. Depending on how far you are willing to travel, Marshfield isn't far from Cardiff (you are probably nearer than me) and I can recommend that.

Graeme

Got into flying about 6 months ago, had a look on the net for my local club. First thing I read was new members will be shown the kettle. Yea right ! A couple of weeks ago I was at my flying site when this chap marches up to me and tells me he flies with above club. would have thought a club member would know better than to approach someone while flying. standing between me and the model, had to be quite rude to him in the end. Im 40 miles down the road from you so a bit too far for me

Posted by Graham Trimby on 19/12/2013 12:24:05:

I’m not a very good pilot but really enjoy flying.

Dude, get some insurance. £32 for a year as a Country Member is nothing and most public/common land requires you to have insurance to fly on it anyway.

I have to agree with Grahame Jones regarding avaliable safe flying sites near Cardiff.
As a former member if Gaer Park MFC I can highly recommend this fantastic site and very friendly club.
Yes there are rules but most are common sense saftey issues (Unless things have drastically changed in 2 years )

I only left the club when I turned to the dark art of sloping and sold all my powered ... but I must confess I'm toying with the idea of buying an I.c model and joining again.

Regarding insurance, I'd think long and hard about flying without. ...even on the slopes.

Phil

Edited By Big Phil on 23/12/2013 17:55:57

As a former resident (and active flier) in Cardiff, I recall that the model shop 'Antics', (used to be near Cardiff Castle now opposite Cardiff Central Rail & Bus Stn.), had a large OS map on their wall which had annotated most (if not all), flying clubs in the Cardiff area. They should have model club information on their noticeboard of who to contact.

Above all else, do get insured please.