Bowman Spatman

I flew mine for over a decade until it became oil soaked and tatty. It got refurbed with new wood to replace the oily bits and flown again for many more years. I built a pair of skis for it which finally allowed me to do decent landings and even better touch-and-goes. Like you say, the fun I had with mine was out of all proportion to the cost and the building time!

• 3 weeks later...

Me again! Maiden flight of my Spatman completed. In fact we managed three flights. I had set the throws as per the instructions and the model was much less responsive than I remembered. Over the next two flights I increased throws and by the third flight we had reached the fast, groovy model I used to fly back in the day. Just for nostalgia's sake, on the third flight I let the tank run dry and glided down to the strip dead stick. Total fun... 

Here is Spatman keeping company with my Limbo Dancer. 

IMG_20230415_184239.jpg

IMG_20230415_184230.jpg

• Like 4

She looks fabulous Alan, congratulations on the maiden. They are just so much simple fun aren’t they, I love throwing mine around on high rates and full throttle. 

I had my new one out today with its third engine, an OS 10Max a SC 15 and now a dirty broken old OS 15LA I picked up cheap on eBay, I’ve spent an enjoyable week stripping, cleaning and doing a small repair to the RNV, not much else to go wrong with these motors. When I had it all back together it started on almost the first flick, and setup in no time. May fit the SC in to a new project.

George and Colin were at our place today to maiden George’s new little Bellancer Skyrocket, looked lovely against the low evening sun.

1 hour ago, Piers Bowlan said:
11 hours ago, Alan Gorham_ said:

What throws did you end up with Alan. I don’t have any instructions.

Nice scheme by the way 👍

IMG_20230415_184239.jpg

Piers, the instructions are posted in this very thread! They advised 1/4“ each way on both rudder and elevator. I have probably doubled that, certainly for the rudder. And, yes, I did check that the dihedral is as per plan! 

9 hours ago, Roy Thompson said:

She looks fabulous Alan, congratulations on the maiden. They are just so much simple fun aren’t they, I love throwing mine around on high rates and full throttle. 

I had my new one out today with its third engine, an OS 10Max a SC 15 and now a dirty broken old OS 15LA I picked up cheap on eBay, I’ve spent an enjoyable week stripping, cleaning and doing a small repair to the RNV, not much else to go wrong with these motors. When I had it all back together it started on almost the first flick, and setup in no time. May fit the SC in to a new project.

George and Colin were at our place today to maiden George’s new little Bellancer Skyrocket, looked lovely against the low evening sun.

Thanks Roy, am very pleased with the model, it certainly put a smile on my face. 

If you have a spare 15 now, then consider a Birdie Ten, plan available on Outerzone. It's a mini old school pattern ship. Flies nicely and is easy and cheap to build. 

George had a small Bellanca built from a Peter Rake plan, but all foam instead of balsa sticks. Has he made a new one? 

2 hours ago, Alan Gorham_ said:

Thanks Roy, am very pleased with the model, it certainly put a smile on my face. 

If you have a spare 15 now, then consider a Birdie Ten, plan available on Outerzone. It's a mini old school pattern ship. Flies nicely and is easy and cheap to build. 

George had a small Bellanca built from a Peter Rake plan, but all foam instead of balsa sticks. Has he made a new one? 

Don't know the Birdie Ten, I'll look it up, but I do have an MB3 plan of a 15 which would go nicely with the MB5's.

Yes he's made a new one, this time in balsa, it's a lovely thing. If they post a picture from yesterday, I'll pop it on here.

338500911_205701655425251_8292602583746392569_n.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 05/04/2023 at 08:54, Alan Gorham_ said:

Thanks Roy. Am very pleased with the results I got with the foam wing. It was fun working with obechi veneer again, been many years. Am keen to make more foam wings but I think I'll do a Mini Skyman next as per plan. 

Covering tonight... 

Been thoroughly enjoying reading this thread from the start, couldn't afford a Spatman back in the day but did have the mini Skyman. It flew so well it flew away with my precious Futaba 2CH gear onboard. Built a couple of gliders, powered and unpowered using the wing plan and they were great. One day I'll get around to building another.

Thanks for the read everyone. Fun times.