Bowman Spatman

Good point Graham, my tank is mounted on a thin foam strip, has to be thin to get the tank in under the sloping 'screen', but I might see if I can get another layer in there. I'm using a SLEC tank at the moment and that has got their small tube clunk so could try a different make to see if that helps, can't see why it would but you never know. My money is still on the air leakage as I've also noticed some fuel residue on the front edge of the screen, just behind the needle assembly. All good fun this Miss Marple lark.

Advert

Yes Roy, pressurised from the silencer and not blocked as I use that to show me when it’s full, plus I can prime the carb by putting my finger over the exhaust. I’ve physically blown (mouth - yuk) through the pipes to make sure they’re clear.

Anyway, new rear plate and needle assembly just arrived from JE (was showing as out of stock so ordered the individual parts but they came up trumps will complete assembly) so will fit that today and get it out flying again tomorrow.

My Bowman Spatman build completed, awaiting maiden. OS15 Max fitted, sidewinder style. Brown Paper/PVA covered, hot wire cut, polystyrene wings. Deviated from plan with fuselage slimmed to accommodate engine orientation. Light-ply (popular) fuselage sides due to lack of balsa. AUW 870g.

IMG_6516.JPG

IMG_6515.JPG

IMG_6520.JPG

Edited by Piers Bowlan
  • Like 2

Well I took 'Spatty' out again today and got flights of up to 10 minutes! There problem was to do with the needle assembly so to avoid messing around I replaced the complete rear cover plate and needle (thanks to Just Engines) - sorted! Trouble is I just 'won' an eBay auction for another, this time brand new, OS 15 LA!

• Like 1

Thanks Piers, I know I keep saying it but it’s such a hoot to fly, especially now that it can go 10 minutes. The other thing that has surprised everyone is how well it flies in windy conditions. I also discovered a new trick, one wheel touch and goes, brilliant!

Anyway, I’m using a SLEC Maxi tank, 4oz size (blue).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gents, yet another wet weekend? however the good news is I've finished putting the words together for the article.

To every one who has sent me pictures thank you very much, they are much appreciated.  A quick reminder if anyone else has any more photos to add to the article, now will be a good time to do it. The pictures need to be well focussed and over 1MB to use in print, please include some details about your model to.

No date yet when it will appear but appear it will.

I have some other news, the Bowman brand along with Airsail should, all being well, be making a come back by the end of the year. Fingers crossed ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had the chance to take the spatman out yesterday for the first time in a bit. On the upside it wasn't raining but yet again it was windy, one day I will get to see how it flies in the flat calm.

I took my cameras with me so have all the stills I need & from my hat cam some flying film. Did 3 flights and the one I filmed is the one where I land sideways and knock the gear off, wouldn't you just know it! Still the nylon bolts did what they were meant to, no over damage than that.

Img_5481small.jpg

• 1 month later...

Been a while since the last post, I assume we're all out getting stick time. Anyway I made a small mod, new undercarriage with bigger wheels. 

My old aluminium gear has got very soft, I think it's fatiguing from years bending. So I've picked up a length of 2mm x 20mm aluminium, It's easy to cut and bend to shape. 

This time I'm putting bigger wheels on, to help it run over the grass and moss and not dig in. No spats either, witch should all help with ROGs and landings.

Questions is, can I still call her a Spatman? ?

20210625_213307.jpg