Bowman Spatman

Advert

i meant to post this earlier. I took my Spatman out for its maiden flight last week, my previous one (1982) didn't have U/C so I hand launched it as can be seen from the earlier vid I posted so I was looking forward to ROG take offs. What a 'nightmare' it ground looped with the best of them but I did eventually get it off the ground as a result of me waggling the rudder on take off which nullified the ground loop tendencies. Once up in the air it was obvious that some down thrust was necessary but apart from that very little trimming. The other thing that needed changing was the amount of elevator throw, I had far too much. Anyway after a few circuits I entered a tight loop and the engine cut forcing a dead stick landing but it then showed another trait, boy could it glide and glide and glide followed by a perfect landing. Having made some adjustments I then attempted another flight but forgot completely about the rudder waggling and just couldn't get it to ROG so I then decided that I would hand launch it, big mistake, my attempt was pathetic and it ended up nosing in. A bit of damage to the U/C mounting plate (broke away from the fuse) and the tailplane and elevator were broken!

Back in the workshop and a couple of hours later all repairs were made and the U/C was changed to one without forward rake and the mounting changed from bolts to rubber bands (no real reason other than this method was shown in an earlier post - David Lane - plus I had a few models like that 'back in the day')

Took it back up to the field this week but the engine kept cutting out (I had forgotten how the smallest adjustment of the air bleed screw can make a big difference to this little engine's behaviour). So today I re-plumbed the tank then ran it up and went through the adjustments again and after about 10 minutes had it running nicely. Weather permitting I'll be back up at the field next week. Oh yeah, I nearly forgot, I've also fitted a gyro to see if that helps with the ground looping tendancy, it certainly helped tame my Pitts Special in that regard.

Edited By Ron Gray on 18/12/2020 22:14:15

ooo, some nice models coming along here... and yes, if you want to have an undercarriage, the rubber band method is a must! My Spatman never did get the chance to try ROG, and I will be very interested to see how the gyro works out... and 'leccy versions deserve a dummy 2-stroke.. :+)

My restoration continues - fuselage finally ready for a respray, new control surfaces fitted. IF the damn rain gives a break, I can make a start on stripping the wings (can only sand these outdoors...)

Very nice work Roy smile p. I am thinking of going spatless but I guess that is not allowed on a Spatman. I am fitting oversized wheels to cope with rough/muddy terrain so spats could be tricky but as I have taken quite a few liberties with the design already, I don't care! devil

Are you guys building in any down thrust or side thrust by the way?

If I remember correctly, earlier versions of the Spatman had spats made from 3 balsa laminations, rather than plastic. Perhaps my memory is playing tricks again, but I think that I might still have mine from the 1983 model, will have a look later.

As for 3d printing a dummy engine - as always, before firing up the designer, it's worth having a look to see if it's been done. A quick search threw up several, such as this one...

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/rc-model-engine

Very nice - you even did the Bowmans logo!

I've started the spray job in mine now - which made me think - what are people using for fuel proofer these days? For many years now, I've only been building electric, or small diesel FF models - it's been a long time since I used glow fuel over a paint job. Thanks for any advice...

Hi Ron, the light blue is a happy accident only because I've had a roll of unopened solar trim in my covering box box for years, and no black. It does work really well, I'm very pleased with the way it came out.

David, I made up the logo for the simple sailman in the summer so didn't take any time to reprint. Can't help you with the fuel proofing, it's been a long time for you and me also.

Just need the weather and restrictions to play ball so I can give it a go

Have a safe and a merry (as possible) Christmas and let's hope a better new year. 🎄

Top job that Roy,

My first RC build was a Bowman simple Skyman powered by a Meteor 40 to which I learnt to fly with. Wish I had never moved it on as it was a fun machine, one day I may get lucky with a plan or a kit to build another.

My mate built the simple sailman? that name is a guess as I was very young, but it was a smallish two channel glider. Its last flight was off a bungee to which he forgot to turn the model on, it was quite an impressive spiral which pretty much destroyed his hard work on impact.

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 23/12/2020 19:16:08

Hi David,

interesting link. My question is this the same company that becomes Bowman Model Kits of Ipswich we know? Did they buy the rights after to the name or were they a completely new company? Do like the look of Peggy the steam launch.

The logo's I made for the Sailman in the summer so simple job to print off some more. I've put them up on the Outzone site in the supplements. Simple_Sailman_oz12472_decal.pdf

**LINK**

Hi Richard I wonder if you're thinking of the Simpleton at 74" span as opposed to the Sailman at 110"