Bowman Spatman

Ok been up in the loft and there it was just where I had left it. The covering from the 80s still looking ok, if a bit dirty.

David I like your mod. I'm sure in my box of bits I've still got the original undercarriage. The only thing that concern me is I think I used an OS 10 & everyone else seem to 15's, maybe that's why I didn't have a lot of luck with it & quickly moved on to a Fly Boy.

Thanks, Robert for uploading the plan.

Spatman wings 1

My undercarriage was banded on too - just like the wings. Much better than the flimsy ply plate and bolts shown on the plan.

At the same time that I flew my 15 powered Spatman, I also flew an OS 10 FSR powered Bowman's Mini Skyman which is smaller and lighter. I wonder if Bowman's intended 10 power for a 2 channel model with no throttle but saving the weight of the throttle servo?

Thanks for the advice chaps

I just had a productive 1/2hr in the garage. I found all these bits & the OS 10Max still in its box(going on your advice I think it will stay there), then I noticed what was written on the end of my scrap boxSpatman parts.

It's just a little annoying I held on to all these bits & not the plan, and I never throw things away.

Edited By Roy Thompson on 18/11/2020 18:41:25

miniskyman.jpgNice to see a mention of the Mini Skyman here - this was my first successful model, on which I learned to fly - and was passed on to 2 others to learn. It flew very well on a Cox Black Widow, but how you managed with an OS10FSR, I can't imagine.... Built in 1984, it's still in one piece, and I had been thinking of renovating it for a small diesel. (Am on a major retro phase at the mo, with CO2 and Jetex models)

Meanwhile, elsewhere in this forum is a thread entitled 'What's the worst model you ever had' - and surprisingly, amongst the first few answers, is somebody complaining about the Spatman, suggesting that it 'was aerobatic the moment it left the ground'. Well... yeah, that's what made it such fun!

I had two Mini Skymen actually!

The first was as per plan, 2 channel rudder/elevator powered by a Cox Tee Dee .049.

The second was a modified version for the OS 10 with a foam wing with reduced dihedral and ailerons but no rudder. No throttle and no undercarriage either. It flew delightfully actually!

All my Bowmans plans (including the Simpleton glider) have all faded away. I kept them all in a dark cupboard too but the ink still faded. I would be interested if ever a Mini Skyman plan was posted on OuterZone...

Well thanks to Robert for uploading the plans and for an encouraging chat with WR Richard, I'm going to build a new one complete with a new (and new for me) foam wing. Parts for the hot wire cutter have been sourced as has the foam and I'm just about to make the Clark-Y airfoil templates. Can't decide whether to skin the wings with a veneer or to just use laminating film but the wing will have ailerons (not that the original needed them, IIFC it rolled and spun like a good un on the rudder and elevator alone). I've also managed to source an OS 0.15 as the means of propulsion.

Posted by Ron Gray on 20/11/2020 16:59:07:

I agree with you Alan, I have found supplies of pine veneer but I don't know what that is like or if it will be suitable. As it's reasonably cheap I may just get some to see.

My last few foam wings and floats used nice soft 1/16" balsa sheet edge joined where necessary to get the width of the wing chord, but that option is sadly out until stocks are supposedly replenished at our balsa suppliers at some point!

Hi Ron,

I've never seen an aileron version - for me, there's something very characterful about rudder/elevator models, especially when the design is extreme (large dihedral, short moment arm) - there's something about the way that they fly, as opposed to 'bank & yank'. I suspect that an aileron version wouldn't work so well unless the dihedral is reduced, and I will look forward to reading about how such a version works, good luck with it!

Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 20/11/2020 16:07:37:I would be interested if ever a Mini Skyman plan was posted on OuterZone...

I'll second that! I always wanted a Mini Skyman.

Having recently acquired a G-Mark .06RC, which should be about right with small servos, I would love to have one. The closest I've found to the Mini Skyman, is the Scamp from Bowman's nemisis, Galaxy Models.

Galaxy Models Scamp

Ron, super results from your (gravity powered?) cutting bow. Any chance of some more details of how the weights are attached and more importantly how much much weight you apply? I have always been a hand-held bow cutter but I want better results.

I guess it might be useful to any other Spatman builders who want to cut their own wings too.